Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS1 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-8-8_14-4-20.jpeg

upload_2020-8-8_14-4-53.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-8_14-4-37.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-8_14-4-37.jpeg
    610.3 KB · Views: 1,152
Has it been verified that this is actually possible with current cars built in North America without modifications to the charging system in the car? I had heard that this was possible in Europe spec cars, but would not be possible for NA?

It looks like this particular one is from Korea - if it exists for NA I’ll buy it in a heartbeat!

Has it been verified that this is actually possible with current cars built in North America without modifications to the charging system in the car? I had heard that this was possible in Europe spec cars, but would not be possible for NA?

It looks like this particular one is from Korea - if it exists for NA I’ll buy it in a heartbeat!
Korea charging standards are the same as in NA. So maybe...

I know nothing about this one but Tesla does sell CCS adapters for EU Model S and X. Here is the manual:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/CCS/CCS_Combo_2_Adapter_en.pdf
EU Model S or X manufactured before May 1, 2019 require substantial additional cost for vehicle modifications. When I inquired for a 2017 Model X it was 600 Euros. For anyone who does not know, newer EU Tesla are sold with native CCS and almost all EU Superchargers are equipped with both CCS and Tesla connectors. Since the CCS NA standards are not identical with the EU ones it is probable that the adapter will need to be modified. Particularly for Western Canada I keep thinking they'll release it. For interested people I'd take the links and ask a helpful Tesla technician. If I did not have a CHAdeMO adapter already from my old S I would want one of these.

just to say - eu uses css2 not the outdated css1 the usa have settled on for some weird reason.

CCS2 and CCS1 were both established at the SAME TIME... The difference is the standardization on the AC portion of the connector, CCS1 markets use J1772 for that whereas CCS2 markets use the Mennekes connection...

So, that's a rather odd statement.

CCS2 and CCS1 were both established at the SAME TIME... The difference is the standardization on the AC portion of the connector, CCS1 markets use J1772 for that whereas CCS2 markets use the Mennekes connection...

So, that's a rather odd statement.

There is nothing odd about it. It is important to mention it because the slim CCS 2 adapter which fits in your pocket cannot be used for CCS 1 in the USA where a big bulky adapter is needed.

Max DC charge CCS1 Combo Type 1: 200A up to 500V
Max DC charge CCS2 Combo Type 2: 500A up to 1000V

deal with it.

Last edited:
There is nothing odd about it. It is important to mention it because the slim CCS 2 adapter which fits in your pocket cannot be used for CCS 1 in the USA where a big bulky adapter is needed.

deal with it.

The DC limits, if it exists as deployed at the moment has been a function of supply issues sourcing CCS1 liquid cooled cables from suppliers vs. CCS2. Frankly, the VW settlement companies, Ionity and Electrify America, were the bigger drivers for these deployments. More CCS2 made it out BECAUSE of the EU competitive landscape and the demand from all the other European players unwilling to be left behind and ordered 350kW capable CCS2 chargers even though there were no vehicles deployed that could take it at the time. This additional competitive demand for CCS2 ensured that the supply chain providers for HPC cables would build and certify CE liquid cooled cables (for EU and elsewhere) faster than the UL ones for CCS1 (US and Canada markets). I haven't looked at purchasing any CCS1 or CCS2 cable since mid-2019, so I would think that those issues are now less. Additionally, the CSP market in the US is fine deploying 175kW as the higher power ones are more at risk of demand charges, so that might also lessen the deployment of 350kW. So the limit you mention, if it exists, is a function of market forces and NOT a limit of the spec and eventual deployment from Tesla.

The DC portion of this standard are in the two LARGE pins at the bottom, as I understand it, the AC connector is where the signaling comes in for the whole exchange of power. Thus, it is irrelevant for speed.

The CCS2 adapter that Tesla built for Type 2 markets was a response to their adoption of CCS2 in those markets away from their "mennekes" supercharging that they originally deployed. (my understanding was some of the pins in that Tesla version had differing lengths, etc.)

Considering the US is the current home market for Tesla, I am perfectly ok with what they are deploying especially since we are the first market to enjoy their new vehicles before any other market... (and I'm in California)... Of course the negative to that is we also beta-test for the rest of the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
DC pins are identical between CCS1 and CCS2. Higher amperage CCS2 cables were first to market, but that has to do with certification timing and choice of labs, not so much the specifications of the connectors. The PLC communication is identical between CCS1 and CCS2 as well.

CCS Type 1 is not the same thing as CCS 1.0 and CCS Type 2 is not the same thing as CCS 2.0. Type 1 (J1772) and Type 2 (Mennekes) can be used with both CCS 1.0 (up to 80 kW) and CCS 2.0 (up to 500 kW). A future CCS 3.0 will likely support far higher power for commercial vehicles, boats, and planes but it has yet to be published and it may not use Type 1 or Type 2