Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me be clear up front that I am not saying it is you but looking at the whole picture, the education of our youth does not appear to be teaching the sprit of tolerance and brotherhood.

That may well be. Perhaps we're not doing a good enough job in relationship to our kids and grandkids on that point. In any case the Allure of tribalism seems resurgent.

But the S/X's with unlimited lifetime Supercharging will still be there clogging up the chargers with their freeloading.

I have one of those lifetime free supercharging cars. I payed for it. I bought the car when the company was new and desperately needed support from early adopters to make it. It was a big sacrifice for me, a big risk putting so much money in a car that might not have a company to support and service it in 2 years. I believed in the concept of EVs and the mission. Without those what you call 'freeloaders', Tesla would not be around any more. All those Model 3s would not on the road today. All those early adopters and supporters made the nest that new Tesla owners now are happy to get into and enjoy the 700 Superchargers and thousands of destination chargers across the country. They enjoy the massively fast growing EV charging infrastructure that was ignited by Tesla's success.

Today more than half of the cars charging at superchargers are Model 3. The problem isn't the original supporters that still get to charge for free.

But the S/X's with unlimited lifetime Supercharging will still be there clogging up the chargers with their freeloading.
Really, freeloading? The cost of Lifetime supercharging was built into the price of vehicles for people who got that with their cars. So again that's dismissive and offensive and inaccurate. Get your facts straight please!

I have one of those lifetime free supercharging cars. I payed for it. I bought the car when the company was new and desperately needed support from early adopters to make it. It was a big sacrifice for me, a big risk putting so much money in a car that might not have a company to support and service it in 2 years. I believed in the concept of EVs and the mission. Without those what you call 'freeloaders', Tesla would not be around any more. All those Model 3s would not on the road today. All those early adopters and supporters made the nest that new Tesla owners now are happy to get into and enjoy the 700 Superchargers and thousands of destination chargers across the country. They enjoy the massively fast growing EV charging infrastructure that was ignited by Tesla's success.

Today more than half of the cars charging at superchargers are Model 3. The problem isn't the original supporters that still get to charge for free.

If you think that some S/X owners with FUSC aren't going out of their way to charge for free then I don't know what to tell you. I get it, you bought the car and FUSC was a feature of the car. That's fine and dandy. But let's not pretend that congested Superchargers weren't a thing before the Model 3.

The Supercharger network wasn't intended for everyone to go charge up there everyday. I understand if you live in an apartment/condo and don't have access to a charger but the reality is, folks make it their mission to save a dime by hitting up the Supercharger stations often just to charge for free even if it's out of their way.

Really, freeloading? The cost of Lifetime supercharging was built into the price of vehicles for people who got that with their cars. So again that's dismissive and offensive and inaccurate. Get your facts straight please!

And the Model 3 buyers with FUSC or FUSC for 6-9 months are entitled to it just the same. I used the word freeloading because that's what the person I quoted used. You had no problem with him using that word against the Model 3s on the road but take issue when it's used with Model S/X?

Sucks that you take offense to that but that's on you friendo.

If you think that some S/X owners with FUSC aren't going out of their way to charge for free then I don't know what to tell you. I get it, you bought the car and FUSC was a feature of the car. That's fine and dandy. But let's not pretend that congested Superchargers weren't a thing before the Model 3.

The Supercharger network wasn't intended for everyone to go charge up there everyday. I understand if you live in an apartment/condo and don't have access to a charger but the reality is, folks make it their mission to save a dime by hitting up the Supercharger stations often just to charge for free even if it's out of their way.

And the Model 3 buyers with FUSC or FUSC for 6-9 months are entitled to it just the same. I used the word freeloading because that's what the person I quoted used. You had no problem with him using that word against the Model 3s on the road but take issue when it's used with Model S/X?

Sucks that you take offense to that but that's on you friendo.
Nice try Tony. You're the one using the inflammatory language. Just clean up your act and you won't get confronted or as somebody once said confront yourself and save other people the bother

Reactions: Silicon Desert

I have an S. I have free lifetime supercharging. I have as much right to use that charger as you do. The fact that you have to pay for the electricity as you charge, and the fact my use of superchargers was rolled into the purchase price makes no difference.

Those of us that bought the original roadsters, the Ss and the Xs helped finance the company. Had we not, there wouldn’t be a 3. If you like your 3, you owe those X and S owners your thanks at the supercharger, not your scorn.

I have an S. I have free lifetime supercharging. I have as much right to use that charger as you do. The fact that you have to pay for the electricity as you charge, and the fact my use of superchargers was rolled into the purchase price makes no difference.

Those of us that bought the original roadsters, the Ss and the Xs helped finance the company. Had we not, there wouldn’t be a 3. If you like your 3, you owe those X and S owners your thanks at the supercharger, not your scorn.

My my, aren't we on our high horse today?

• Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt
The back-and-forth arguments are silly. Let's agree that free supercharging isn't a sustainable business model for Tesla. Let's also agree that many people can't charge at home or work. To support wide-spread EV adoption, those people need somewhere to charge and Tesla will need to continue expanding their charging network (both Superchargers and destination chargers) at a rapid pace to keep up with demand.

The back-and-forth arguments are silly. Let's agree that free supercharging isn't a sustainable business model for Tesla. Let's also agree that many people can't charge at home or work. To support wide-spread EV adoption, those people need somewhere to charge and Tesla will need to continue expanding their charging network (both Superchargers and destination chargers) at a rapid pace to keep up with demand.

Agreed!

I do look at things differently. I don’t think it has anything to do with the height of my horse.

I like my S. When I meet a buyer of the original roadster, I’ll give him my thanks. They made my car possible.
Giving thanks is fine, do you. The original issue was that 3 owners were called freeloaders and no one batted an eyelid but calling S/X owners that was shot down. And I dont think he was calling all S/X owners freeloaders, just the ones who can charge at home but choose to charge at the superchargers because its free and they have time on their hands.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

Earl, there may be more to it than that. You know Tesla hasn’t ever spent money on advertising. They got enormous press due in large part to the free supercharging. If you figure 10,000 miles cross country, that long distance supercharger benefit works out to about $600. Most people don’t go cross country nearly that much. If Tesla can offer free use on long trips, I think they can again benefit from the free press exposure and possibly still forego the expense of advertising.

Could they still offer it? I believe they could. I think it might be that long distance supercharger use could be free. Local use, say within 100 miles of home, would incur a usage charge.

The superchargers weren’t originally meant for local use, they were built for people traveling far from home. I don’t use superchargers close to home. I just use them on trips. Tesla has always discouraged local use. I think a lot of us took that to heart and don’t use superchargers locally.

I know there are people who cannot charge at home. Those people use the superchargers instead. I don’t say there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just that wasn’t the original idea.

So I’m not sure I’m in agreement with your assumption that free supercharging isn’t a sustainable business model. I’d certainly like to see people get free supercharging when they take long trips. I’d like to see the dollars go into expanding the supercharger network as opposed to going for expensive advertising.

It’ll be up to Tesla to figure it out, run the numbers, etc. But I do see the benefit of being able to sell a car and tell the new owner he/she can drive from New York to Los Angeles and not spend a penny for fuel. It’s more a perceived benefit than actual, most people aren’t going to make that drive. Still it makes people feel good, and it sells Teslas, lots of Teslas, so I think it could come back, but just with the local usage charges.

Reactions: kayleia and dfwatt
Just one data point from a non-average driver: I drive in excess of 20,000 highway miles per year. That's a $1,500 per year Supercharger bill. In 10 years of ownership, that's $15,000 worth of charging. Free Supercharging, while it would benefit me greatly, is not fair to the people who drive less, as they would essentially be subsidizing my travels.

Just one data point from a non-average driver: I drive in excess of 20,000 highway miles per year. That's a $1,500 per year Supercharger bill. In 10 years of ownership, that's $15,000 worth of charging. Free Supercharging, while it would benefit me greatly, is not fair to the people who drive less, as they would essentially be subsidizing my travels.

I think you might be the exception. While it’s $15K to you, I don’t think it costs Tesla quite as much. So $15K, for that you’re going to tell everyone you know what a great deal you have. In 10 years, you’ll have 200,000 miles on your Tesla. When it’s time to replace it, you’d be sensible to replace it with another Tesla. Suppose I buy the same car, I drive it 2000 miles per year on the supercharger system. Am I hurt because you drive further? Not really. I’ll enjoy my 2000 miles of driving. I won’t save that much on fuel but the perceived benefit is still there. I’ll tell my friends as well.

I’m not sure I’d see it as subsidizing your travels. My car purchase helped with the rollout of the 3, it’s probably helping with the Y. My money is spent, it’s Tesla’s money now. How they spend it is up to them. If we each spend $45K on a car and if you get more free miles than I do, it’s because I choose not to drive 20,000 a year.

Anyway, I won’t belabor things here. I’d like to see everyone get the free long distance supercharger use. Some will use more than others. It’s the average that’s important.

Early days... SC's were full of mostly like-minded nerds, enthusiasts, geeks, etc - who would take time to learn every nuance of the car, and SC etiquette. People would get out, and talk. Met one very interesting 'old guy' who would show-up at SC's, wouldn't charge, just liked to socialize with 'cool' people.

These days... it's bro's, crazy rich assholes, golfers, and jerks who bought their Tesla for 'status'. They sit in their cars staring at their phones, have no idea about paired charging... and could care less.

Fortunately, few in the latter category bother to read forums, so hopefully I'm not offending any of you... (though go ahead and feel free to flame me with your weak and boring; not a flame thrower.)

Early days... SC's were full of mostly like-minded nerds, enthusiasts, geeks, etc - who would take time to learn every nuance of the car, and SC etiquette. People would get out, and talk. Met one very interesting 'old guy' who would show-up at SC's, wouldn't charge, just liked to socialize with 'cool' people.

These days... it's bro's, crazy rich assholes, golfers, and jerks who bought their Tesla for 'status'. They sit in their cars staring at their phones, have no idea about paired charging... and could care less.

Fortunately, few in the latter category bother to read forums, so hopefully I'm not offending any of you... (though go ahead and feel free to flame me with your weak and boring; not a flame thrower.)

81C13FEF-EA16-466C-B574-3B11CBCF2F86.jpeg