Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If not for the 3 I would not buy a Tesla. Didn't like the S or X when I test drove it. Both drove like large yachts. I'm glad Model 3 has a better chassis.
I love my S and X and everything about them, as far as I’m concerned the S is one of the most beautifully design cars in the world and the fact that I do not have to put gas in it makes even better. As they say different strokes for different folks.

I love my S and X and everything about them, as far as I’m concerned the S is one of the most beautifully design cars in the world and the fact that I do not have to put gas in it makes even better. As they say different strokes for different folks.

I agree, the S is a beautiful car which attracted me to Tesla. I like the wide flat stances and was really disappointed the Model 3 wasn’t a mini-S. Model 3 is not the best looking car on the road but it drives fantastic. Very tight and nimble for a 4,000+lb car. It feels light and yet very solid.

Everyone is different. Some people like more room or space. I like a car that hugs be and become an extension to my legs. S and X is just a few seconds behind for input and feedback.

Was supercharging after work just now since my Model 3 was too low on battery to make it home. I had waited 20 minutes in line and a Model X decides to cut in front of everyone. Nobody said anything at first since the rightmost stall is broken, but then the stall next to it became unoccupied. I ended up waiting an extra 10 minutes for another stall to become available. :(

D8C22265-4C8F-49BA-98C7-61D14B9A6554.jpeg

(Culver City supercharger. There's always a big line here.)

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
Tesla ought to do a queue system like Uber/Lyft do for drivers at airports.

When Uber/Lyft drivers pull into the designated airport staging lots they are placed into a queue, and the system assigns everyone a rider in order of their arrival. It shouldn't be difficult to do something like that with superchargers. Once it is your turn it can say go to charger X, and if someone else tries to cut you off the system won't let them charge.

It seems like a handful of superchargers could benefit from this.

Would be even better if they got charged significantly more... like 6 times the price for being a douche canoe

DAMN @MXWing, remind me to never get on your bad side! i'm gettin to old to get my ass kicked! haha

We reach a point to where we have too much to lose my friend by getting into physical altercations.

I’d lose my permit over a fist fight so it’s a binary decision for pacifism or fight to the death.

I’m pretty confident however about physical altercations not happening when shaming and throwing words at fellow Tesla owner for bad behavior however. :)

A little filming of the plate, the person, threatening to post on tmc, YouTube etc should be enough for a person to get into line.

Just wish people gave respect and got respect - aka golden rule.

I did have a story I won’t ever forget about a gentleman approaching me at a supercharger at the dead of night while my family was asleep.

Flipped the safety off my sidearm when I saw him approach. About a hundred feet out he announced - “Can I ask you some questions? Not gonna rob you or ask for money or anything”.

I said “thanks - appreciate that. How can I help you?”

Gentleman had no idea how superchargers worked and how much they cost. I was happy to answer all questions and we had a good time discussing Tesla in the early AM.

First and only time I’ve been approached at a SC while alone and made me think about how potentially vulnerable an owner is when the cable is attached.

Reactions: SigNC and Pkmmte
Maybe the X did not understand the line, when it appeared to him that there were at least 3 empty stalls available.

Nobody would have been out of line to walk up to the driver, and let him know the situation. He could then pull out and get in line.

I think the odds are that is a good approach. Most people are understanding when spoken to pleasantly, if you assume they simply did not notice there was a line. I have done this, or seen it done, a number of times at my local touchless car wash. The property is arranged such that the queue for the wash stalls has to be separated from the stall entrances by a travel lane, so sometimes it might not be apparent that there is a queue for the stalls. People sometimes mistakenly pull up behind the car waiting at the entrance, not realizing there are others who are ahead of them. I've always found folks to be cooperative when told there was line and others were there ahead of them.

I have not encountered the need for this approach at a Supercharger, but I certainly would.

Kind of off topic but stuff like this is what makes an EV not worthwhile for me. I’m an auditor and don’t have a set commute daily. Sometimes I drive more than 200 miles a day, other times I have to stay out. I’m not sure how often I would be willing to wait to charge my car. It’s like going to a Costco gas station all the time. We are only getting the 3 for my wife since she can charge at home 100% of the time. Eventually the network will be built out like gas stations and this issue might go away.

Kind of off topic but stuff like this is what makes an EV not worthwhile for me. I’m an auditor and don’t have a set commute daily. Sometimes I drive more than 200 miles a day, other times I have to stay out. I’m not sure how often I would be willing to wait to charge my car. It’s like going to a Costco gas station all the time. We are only getting the 3 for my wife since she can charge at home 100% of the time. Eventually the network will be built out like gas stations and this issue might go away.
I think once you actually have a Tesla you will see that this kind of thing is not pervasive, in the Bay Area there are plenty of Superchargers. Just keep in mind when you are on this forum you will hear the good, bad and the ugly.

Reactions: dfwatt
Words to live by.

You remind me of my brother with that post as he has his ccw and never leaves home alone, he lives by lake Oroville and says he feels much more comfortable wherever he goes out anywhere but especially when he is down here visiting in the big city, haha

I'm amazed your brother or @MXWing are even able to get a permit in CA since it's supposed to be extremely difficult there. I go to extraordinary lengths not to get into confrontations even when people are being complete a-holes. If a confrontation escalated I'd potentially be forced into a situation where I'd really have to defend myself and that would result in a lot of paperwork.

Was supercharging after work just now since my Model 3 was too low on battery to make it home. I had waited 20 minutes in line and a Model X decides to cut in front of everyone. Nobody said anything at first since the rightmost stall is broken, but then the stall next to it became unoccupied. I ended up waiting an extra 10 minutes for another stall to become available. :(

View attachment 387925

(Culver City supercharger. There's always a big line here.)

Oops, I rented a Model 3 last year in LA and used the Culver City Supercharger on the Sunday before handing the car back. That was the second time in my life I charged an EV so had no idea of any protocol or which direction any line should operate but luckily when I arrived there was no line and 2 or 3 bays empty so it didn't become an issue. I think I drove in from the opposite direction in fact, but being English I guess I would have had a reasonably good excuse if it had become a problem...

I think once you actually have a Tesla you will see that this kind of thing is not pervasive, in the Bay Area there are plenty of Superchargers. Just keep in mind when you are on this forum you will hear the good, bad and the ugly.

We are getting the model 3 for my wife and I plan to drive it a few times to see how it works. An EV will actually make me money as I get paid for miles driven. Just the charging stuff has me worried. I’m the type of person that pays more for gas vs waiting in line for cheaper prices.

These people are not capable of charging at home? I find it hard to believe that they were all on long trips and needed to charge because they were too far from home. And let's be realistic, if you bought an EV with no means to charge it where you live or work, you probably deserve to sit in a long line on a regular basis.
I live like a mile from my SC and I never have to wait. I've had the car since September and the electrician still hasn't come out to put the adapter in. I'm pretty sure I'm still getting what I deserve without waiting in a long line on a regular basis.

You might be putting too much weight on what are outlier events. We've used Superchargers many times although not in California where things are clearly at least in some areas a bit more jammed up. But even in California I suspect there are only very rare issues at places that are known bottlenecks. For that to deter you from a model 3 would be an unfortunate decision in my estimation. If you do a lot of driving for work the cost Savings in owning an electric vehicle are staggering X over 5 to 10 years.

Classic troll thread to get everyone riled up. Some guy hears from another guy that some other guys did something terrible. Hearsay of Hearsay in an internet forum. Twice removed awfulness, let's rage about it!

As to the actual topic, Tesla really should build in a queue system to make this easier at busier spots. Thankfully where I live, the superchargers are empty 90% of the time

Reactions: dfwatt
You might be putting too much weight on what are outlier events. We've used Superchargers many times although not in California where things are clearly at least in some areas a bit more jammed up. But even in California I suspect there are only very rare issues at places that are known bottlenecks. For that to deter you from a model 3 would be an unfortunate decision in my estimation. If you do a lot of driving for work the cost Savings in owning an electric vehicle are staggering X over 5 to 10 years.

I’m going to try a few jobs in my wife’s car once we get our 3. Ideally I want one for my second commute car too. With the gas savings, it can pay for itself front my mileage reimbursement. I racked up miles on my old E class and it wasn’t fun to pay for the maintenance. I currently have a brand new navigator and I don’t want to put crazy miles on it.