TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MurrayJimW, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Trebek1762

Trebek1762 Let's play jeopardy

There's no reason it can't be done via mobile service. Maybe in a few months....or years....

• Funny x 1
  2. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

Just got an update: HW3 is not available for my VIN yet...

• Informative x 1
  3. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

This is the issue I had when I first tried to schedule. They determined availability for the upgrade based on HW3 update and not MCU/Infotainment update. If they look solely at HW3 availability, you won't be eligible until at least May.

I had to reply back to that type of message with a link to the Infotainment Upgrade webpage on Tesla to show that my configuration was indeed currently eligible.

• Like x 1
  4. Dreamontom99

Dreamontom99 Member

I scheduled appointment Saturday via app for mcu and fsd 3 hw and got this today: Hello Thomas, this is Maci with Tesla Mobile Service. I was reviewing your upcoming Mobile Service appointment and I wanted to let you know that the Full Self Driving hardware parts are released in waves and when they do become available for your Tesla the Service Center will contact you schedule an appointment. At this time we will be cancelling your Mobile Service appointment.

5. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

That's pretty much what I've got earlier today.
    And they added it would have to be done at the Service Center. "Not mobile capable"

6. GoBeavs

GoBeavs Member

Just got my MCU2/FSD computer done today. Normally I’d be excited, but they did a horrendous job (see photos attached).

The trim is all banged up and wonky. The metal now shows significantly more screen (especially at the top left and decreases as it moves to the right). If it weren’t for social distancing/current touchless procedures I would have sent the car back in immediately. I’ve already scheduled a follow up to fix.

(Side note: my left headlight that has significant condensation built up inside - for a 2 year old car - is within spec. Good to know)

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  7. steinermeister

I got mine done last week. Just realizing now they left the protective screen plastic on the IC! I also will admit, it was the first install the Agoura Hills SC in Los Angeles had ever done. They explained they had to remove the A/B pillars and even the top of the dash to do the work too. Seemed like they opened up the entire car for the project.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. GoBeavs

GoBeavs Member

Besides the screen film, you happy with the looks of everything else?

Also, even if this is their first MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade...why is this different from replacing bricked MCU1’s? Or retrofitting FSD hardware to MCU2 vehicles? I thought it would be a similar procedure, but judging from the looks of my car, it seems they didn’t really know what they were doing.

9. Utahken

Utahken Member

I was the first car to get the update in the Toledo Ohio SC. Everything looked good except they didn't connect the cellular antenna connector tightly, so I had to take it back for that repair.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. zoeconner

zoeconner Member

What car do you have? From Lima area. They denied me a couple of weeks ago.

11. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Once they swap MCU1 for MCU2, do you get to keep your old MCU1? I’d like to keep it to tinker with. It’s mine after all, right? How about the HW2.5 computer?

• Funny x 1
  12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The people that have asked have been told that there is a $1,000 core charge to keep the old MCU1 and IC1.

You aren't paying for the HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade so there is pretty much no chance you could keep the HW2.5 computer.

• Informative x 1
  13. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

The speed limit in a circle thing is a European convention as that is how speed limit signs are designated there. Is it possible the MCU software is incorrectly targeting a non-US region? I know first-hand how incorrectly installed firmware can completely mess with the visualizations.

• Informative x 1
  14. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

That’s awful. Mine was perfect except for one very minor nick in the surround bezel.

As for the disassembly, we saw in the DIY thread how it’s possible to lift the dash up and not pull the pillars at all (I don’t recall any mention of that). Seems like the Tesla procedure definitely has a lot of steps and time to it.

15. steinermeister

Yeah, the performance improvement is simply night and day. I only noticed the film cause I saw some surface scratches on the IC while driving yesterday and then a super tiny bubble...which then when cleaning it I noticed it was just film, not the actual glass. Mobile service is coming on Thursday to fix something else so will ask them to remove it then if possible.

The part I didn't mention is they called me saying "you have aftermarket audio, we need to put your car back together" and I said uhh, what? So the Reus Audio tweeters they considered "custom" and had no idea where to unplug. I said, uh, where the factory harness is, but just J-tapped in! Once that call happened, I figured they were 1) amateur mechanics (moreso technicians I suppose), 2) following mothership instructions, and 3) timed on the job.

For you, I think #1 hit you, for me, #3. How are they going to sort out your surround?

16. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

This also happened with me. I had to ask to that my service request be transferred to the Service Center. As soon as that happened, BAM, instant appointment, invoice as expected and an upgrade within a couple days.

The mobile service kept confusing my ask with the FSD only upgrade and was under the impression (incorrectly) that I would't be eligible for the MCU upgrade unless I was also eligible for the FSD upgrade at the same time. Of course they didn't understand that as soon as the MCU was upgraded, it bumped up my eligibility for FSD.

17. Flyguy

Flyguy Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have after market tweeters in the A pillars as well, but they are tied in to the existing harness, so should not be a problem. BUT, I’ve also got an amp/crossover in the frunk. Does anyone know if they have to remove the frunk tub to do this install?

18. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that they do to disconnect the 12v battery and First Responder cut-loop.

19. TonyT

TonyT Member

I don't remember the manual needing the A pillars removed. We have never removed them to replace mcu or IC. The trim is very delicate, and I often spot damaged ones from service center previous repairs. There is a bit of an art to the removal which we try to document.

• Informative x 1
  20. Flyguy

Flyguy Member

Good to know, thanks. That’s a bummer.