Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mcu went black yesterday. After 4 reboots it finally works. 15 minutes of black screen was unnerving but I could tell it wasn't completely dead since occasionally turn signal clicks worked.

Your emmc (hard drive) is likely worn out, if you want 3rd party repair you should do it asap. Next crash could loose your certificates.

Here is more information,
Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Worn our emmc (memory chips) often die during software upgrades. We offer a upgrade at very reasonable cost, and there is a good chance to recover all your data since the MCU failed recently. Please PM me if you want more details.

AP1 cars are probably not going to get upgraded to MCU2 anytime soon, Tesla recently changed the expected date of availability.

@Vh6852 Sounds like you also have a AP1 car?
If OP bought it NEW when he said he did, then he most likely has an AP2 car.

Reactions: Gt1948 and boaterva
Worn our emmc (memory chips) often die during software upgrades. We offer a upgrade at very reasonable cost, and there is a good chance to recover all your data since the MCU failed recently. Please PM me if you want more details.

AP1 cars are probably not going to get upgraded to MCU2 anytime soon, Tesla recently changed the expected date of availability.

@Vh6852 Sounds like you also have a AP1 car?
You are correct.

I'm trying to get service to do the retrofit to MCU2 but they've cancelled on me earlier

Enough currently works but the kids are really upset about the lack of tunes. When I try to connect the Bluetooth it says contact service.

Definitely your mcu is on its last breath. Mine did the Bluetooth error as well and two weeks later mcu died completely. I’d recommend scheduling an appointment anyway and not triggering unnecessary reboots/updates at this point or it may not come back.

Don’t leave the sunroof open either, learned that one the hard way..

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and brkaus
I took it in Wednesday morning and the estimated completion is tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. They said it doesn’t take long to do the labor it is just that they have to wait on people in California to do something to get everything back online. Not sure what that means.
One thing that’s needed is to put the VIN on the HW3 firmware list to get the same firmware but for HW3. My car now that it’s upgraded gets new firmware the first day it comes out (like a new car) since (for a while anyway) it’s at the top of the HW3 firmware list.

After the upgrade it needs 2020.12.5 reloaded (for example). Not sure why that takes more than seconds for someone at HQ to do but perhaps now they are short handed with CV staffing and people are batching up things when they do it from home?

just to add to the thread the latest info...just had MCU replaced in SF out of warranty (october 2016 build first of the AP2 hardware but 1 or 1.5 mcu), $1800 for remanufactured gen 1.5 (or 1) MCU. I asked about the MCU upgrade service tech had no clue and was SOO not interested in researching. so if when available expect no help from service folks on replacement in or out of warranty

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
just to add to the thread the latest info...just had MCU replaced in SF out of warranty (october 2016 build first of the AP2 hardware but 1 or 1.5 mcu), $1800 for remanufactured gen 1.5 (or 1) MCU. I asked about the MCU upgrade service tech had no clue and was SOO not interested in researching. so if when available expect no help from service folks on replacement in or out of warranty

I would have pointed him to: Infotainment Upgrade

Altes is spot on. I too was disappointed at the lack of interest in an upgrade. He stressed that the 'new' board would be better than the original but didn't elaborate. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick it up. If it's as quick as the MCU in the 2015 loaner I'll probably be glad I saved the $900 but its never going to be the upgrade I wanted.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Altes is spot on. I too was disappointed at the lack of interest in an upgrade. He stressed that the 'new' board would be better than the original but didn't elaborate. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick it up. If it's as quick as the MCU in the 2015 loaner I'll probably be glad I saved the $900 but its never going to be the upgrade I wanted.

The "New" MCU1 board, dubbed MCU1.5 has minor differences. I don't believe there is any performance gains from MCU1, and there does not seem to be any recorded differences on the forum with it's introduction. Both boards use the same processor. The design is probably better since it's newer and probably uses less chips (more integration) but wont have an impact like a MCU2 upgrade. New eMMC which should be on any refurbished MCU should provide noticeable performance with the much increased read/write speeds. Since worn out ones slow down.

Last edited: