TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MurrayJimW, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Save that old thumb drive. Use it as a decoy since you have an SSD. If you can get it running enough to wipe the partition so it won't try to record, even better.

2. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

This is probably totally anecdotal and subjective. But after updating to 2020.24.6.11 on mcu1 and hw3 the MCU1 performance has drastically improved

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

I agree. The problem with Tesla is that they're not going to attract good employees by not valuing them. They over work them, under equip them and the icing on the cake is that they massively under pay them. You can do two of those if the other makes up for it but they're responsible for their own churn factory of people desperate enough or lacking of better options. I've had countless people tell me I should be working for Tesla after I talk their ear off for hours about the cars and I quickly squash that with "No thanks. They don't value their employees and I'm not looking to get into that type of situation since I'm not desperate for money"

The sad thing is that I would probably be open to working for them for less money than I can make elsewhere because I'm so into the cars and want to help the company which is in desperate need but I'm not willing to put up with the ineptness and lack of control to help to make things better. The problem is that they don't want people who genuinely care to actually improve customer service. They just want Walmart cashiers who will follow the (limited) hand book and avoid customer contact as much as possible.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. Michelx

Michelx Member

Including web browser?

5. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Haha no web browser is and will forever be unusable. I did play around more with the maps and they still take forever to load. But using spotify and menus was much smoother

6. Falcon_Heavy

Falcon_Heavy Member

Also, voice commands work surprising well after 2020.24.6.11, I have MCU1 + HW2.5. I have an appointment to install HW3.0 next week.

7. Gt1948

Gt1948 2017 MS FSD AP 2.5 MCU 1

Tesla Tap reporting
    • MCU2 Upgrade price lowered to $1750 for MCU1 cars still in warranty

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Damn and I'm just now out of warranty

9. puresurfr2

puresurfr2 Member

Does that mean the infotainment upgrade is now $1750 ????

10. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

For mcu1 that fails under warranty. It seems.

I'm hoping that NHTSA rules against Tesla and they either redesign MCU1 emmc or offer mcu2 cheaper

• Like x 1
  11. puresurfr2

puresurfr2 Member

I hope they refund the customers who are still under warranty and paid $2500

• Like x 5
  12. wanche

wanche Member

Source?

• Like x 1
  13. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Yea I couldn't find it anywhere

14. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

If they redesigned MCU1 eMMC, how long do you figure it would be before that new product was rolling out to cars?

15. captjoemcd

captjoemcd Member

#5695 captjoemcd, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Word on the street is that a memo went out prematurely to SCs that for MCU1s that fail under warranty, the replacement/upgrade to MCU2 is $1750, but it was retracted since it wasn’t officially approved by leadership.

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Wonder how theyll stop people from getting their MCU to fail early. I would have sat in my car for 2 weeks just tapping random functions on the MCU

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

You'd spend 2 weeks of your time to save $500? :eek: (Assuming that the price includes re-using your old screen.)

• Like x 3
  18. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

#JustQuarantineThings

19. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Are you surprised? Tesla owners are cheap, especially the older MS and MX. Ever see the cars of the locals that are always hogging the Superchargers?

• Like x 2
  20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Why does everyone keep saying its a $500" savings/difference? Using my non-Tesla calculator $2500 - $1750 shows $ 750. Not $500

We don't know if the $1750 cost include or excludes touchscreen.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1