Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla continues to add more New/Inventory cars for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A $39K Tesla is awesome until a drive unit or battery pack needs replaced.

That's all I was trying to say.

Not knocking high mileage EV's.

I suppose if you’re talking post 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty, then yes, your trust in the quality and longevity of those parts given most drive units were replaced already with a newer generation version, and battery degradation on average points to me getting at least 300,000 miles....I’d gladly spend $10k to replace my traction battery in 20 years.

Used S85 with AP1 right now...$45k.
If I don’t spend $40k more in repairs over the next 20 years I’ve saved big over buying a new one.

Total cost of ownership wins. Most people can’t keep a car long enough to pay off the loan, so TCO is not a factor for them IMHO.

Last edited:
No ambient lighting?

I can't seem to get a call back from their call center or any luck. Really inefficient process. Submitted web form. Nothing. Called call center, didn't know what to do. Called local store, they took down my info for a call back, never got one. Called call center, they took down my info for a call back. Not sure how they sell cars.

Anyone have a good CPO contact, preferably in the bay area who is still around? Thanks!

I can't seem to get a call back from their call center or any luck. Really inefficient process. Submitted web form. Nothing. Called call center, didn't know what to do. Called local store, they took down my info for a call back, never got one. Called call center, they took down my info for a call back. Not sure how they sell cars.

Anyone have a good CPO contact, preferably in the bay area who is still around? Thanks!

I would recommend going into a store if you can, this is actually the worst time to buy a Tesla, everyone is so busy with end of the quarter push.

Do you really want to own a Tesla out of warranty?.....it maybe cheap but the repair cost when it happens would not be worth it.

No Tesla produced "not counting Roadsters" is out of battery or drivetrain warranty yet. I have one of the first units that that's going to happen to I have a 2012 my battery and drivetrain warranty will end in 2020.

A $39K Tesla is awesome until a drive unit or battery pack needs replaced.

That's all I was trying to say.

Not knocking high mileage EV's.
Drive unit is covered for 8 years unlimited miles. There isn’t a model S on the road that isn’t covered today. The 2012’s don’t lose coverage until 2020 at the earliest.

If you are handy the door handles can be fixed for $20 in parts. (Personally done it twice). Other big expense might be the screen or air suspension components. Tesla has been very suppportive of the product and even addressed known issues with no cost recalls. (Example is the steering gear box bolts). I’m on my third Model S with over 75,000 miles on mine now. It’s been bullet proof after a couple door handle upgrades costing me my time and a soldering gun to fix and a $3 paddle/pivot gear.

My VW by comparison was costing me $2500 a quarter to keep up with maintenance and issues and it was just a POS compared to the S.

Reactions: Don TLR and Cowby
I believe it was retroactively converted to unlimited mileage for S60s as well

Infinite Mile Warranty

Only the 85kWh - specifically states this in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty:

Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_S_X_Warranty_NA_en.pdf