Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a check today for $320. I had my MCU replaced/upgraded in early August 2020. I don't understand the amount... I was expecting $1500. Anyone else?

I had it fully upgraded to MCU 2 - screen included for $2500

They said that they would only reimburse for how much the eMMC repair would have cost at the time of your repair/upgrade. In August of 2020 they were doing eMMC daughtercard replacements which didn't cost as much, so your check seems like it could be correct. (I thought it was $400-500 but that included a diagnostic charge, which it seems like you didn't pay.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
“Might” be easier with others. Don’t yet know. Will be interesting to watch.

Other options for Tesla are slowly becoming available like Gruber Motors and Electrify America.
Perhaps Electrified Garage?

I am hoping for the $320 or so. I had them replace the daughtercard without diagnostic on my dime to prevent getting stranded (again).

I also upgraded to MCU2 (later), but I don’t expect more than $320 refunded.

Perhaps Electrified Garage?

I am hoping for the $320 or so. I had them replace the daughtercard without diagnostic on my dime to prevent getting stranded (again).

I also upgraded to MCU2 (later), but I don’t expect more than $320 refunded.
We spent $2500 on the MCU2 upgrade due to issues with MCU1. While I wouldn't mind a full $2500 refund, I think $320 would be a fair refund as it would've fixed the MCU1 issues we were experiencing. In lieu of a $320 refund, I'd also accept the FM tuner upgrade that several have received for free.

They said that they would only reimburse for how much the eMMC repair would have cost at the time of your repair/upgrade. In August of 2020 they were doing eMMC daughtercard replacements which didn't cost as much, so your check seems like it could be correct. (I thought it was $400-500 but that included a diagnostic charge, which it seems like you didn't pay.)
I did a bit of research- my MCU was ordered on July 12th after exhibiting the symptoms of impending failure. The parts came in July 28th and were installed on August 5th. I think the earliest daughterboard replacement was Aug 10th. I think if I had the option of $320 vs $2500 for MCU upgrade, I would have thought twice about the upgrade.

At the time of ordering it, I believe the option to replace MCU for MCU1 was $1500 give or take.

I just received a check today for $320. I had my MCU replaced/upgraded in early August 2020. I don't understand the amount... I was expecting $1500. Anyone else?
That's 320 Tesla refund dollars! Those are special and worth more than just US dollars, just like Tesla horsepower is special and worth more than horsepower as defined by science (at least according to J.B. - Tesla CTO). Perhaps Elon would tell you that you're supposed to buy bitcoin with it and hold until it's worth $1,500, then you're even. Welcome to Tesla, where every penny counts. :rolleyes:

PS> I got declined for the MCU recall refund because I changed out the EMMC myself, so you got a bizillon percent more than I did. But I still have a P85D, with those special horsepower where 463hp as defined by physics is worth 691 special Tesla hp. Those special Tesla ponies....

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Amacharola
That's 320 Tesla refund dollars! Those are special and worth more than just US dollars, just like Tesla horsepower is special and worth more than horsepower as defined by science (at least according to J.B. - Tesla CTO). Perhaps Elon would tell you that you're supposed to buy bitcoin with it and hold until it's worth $1,500, then you're even. Welcome to Tesla, where every penny counts. :rolleyes:

PS> I got declined for the MCU recall refund because I changed out the EMMC myself, so you got a bizillon percent more than I did. But I still have a P85D, with those special horsepower where 463hp as defined by physics is worth 691 special Tesla hp. Those special Tesla ponies....
Haha yes- I do realize how lucky I am to see this. Tesla has put me through the ringer a few times - but the worst was 2 years ago when my roof was damaged in a storm - the insurance company approved each section of roof except for the section with the panels since our solar panels were protecting the roof. I still wanted to keep my roof sections the same age, color, etc - so I called Tesla out to temporarily remove the 30 panels and reinstall them when the roofers were done. ...$9,018... to keep my panels. it took 3 guys about 4 hours of work total to uninstall and reinstall the panels. $750/man hr! I knocked them down to $6,000 - but even that is tremendously more expensive than it should be.

Haha yes- I do realize how lucky I am to see this. Tesla has put me through the ringer a few times - but the worst was 2 years ago when my roof was damaged in a storm - the insurance company approved each section of roof except for the section with the panels since our solar panels were protecting the roof. I still wanted to keep my roof sections the same age, color, etc - so I called Tesla out to temporarily remove the 30 panels and reinstall them when the roofers were done. ...$9,018... to keep my panels. it took 3 guys about 4 hours of work total to uninstall and reinstall the panels. $750/man hr! I knocked them down to $6,000 - but even that is tremendously more expensive than it should be.
Elon's skillset is not well suited to high volume, non-disposable consumer products, because he thinks the primary challenge is in manufacturing in high volume, but completely ignores the entire product lifecycle, which includes continued maintenance and repair. I know Elon's dream is a million miles (no maintenance) indestructible (no repairs) product, but that will never happen with something as complex as a car, perhaps it can with solar panels but I'm no expert on those. Perhaps he should just stick to spaceships (low volume), or some disposable/throwaway products (no service required). Service IMHO is the most likely thing to kill Tesla as it has the potential to both hurt the branding and the finances (liability on large numbers of products).

Reactions: BigNick and Barry