Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Customer Service – Lack of Oversight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a series of unfavorable experiences with Tesla’s Orlando Service Center (closest geographically to my home, approximately 116 miles roundtrip), I contacted several senior Corporate Customer Service people asking for assistance.

To date, the Regional Representative, Alberto Cortines has not called me to discuss the Orlando Service Center’s poor performance issues as promised via e-mail message.

After numerous unanswered e-mails requesting help from the Customer Service group in Fremont, CA. I called to find out why Tesla’s lead Customer Representative, TJ Meyer-Martin was reluctant to address my concerns. I called the Tesla Help Desk and asked to talk to his supervisor ……. to my surprise TJ answered the phone in person. During that conversation, he implied that he didn’t have the power to compel the Orlando Service Center to provide good service to me or any Tesla owner. It sounded like an impossible situation to me, so I asked to speak to his supervisor. TJ stated that he was in charge of the Corporation and there was no one above him (I assume he meant, at that Fremont location and moment in time).

Anyway, I told TJ I wanted to have an annual service conducted on my Model S. And, without his (Tesla’s) assurance that the Orlando Service Center would be accountable for their actions, I didn’t feel comfortable taking the car to them. Finally, he said he would have someone from another Service Center contact me to schedule the Annual Service. A few hours later, I received a call from Mark LaPlant, Manager of the Tampa Service Center. Mark was very polite and professional, he invited me to visit his service center ….. which I did. They completed the Annual Service and addressed some small insignificant warranty items. What a difference from the Orlando experience, I highly recommend the Tampa Service Center. Unfortunately, they are across the State from where I live, a 300 mile roundtrip for me.

As a result of my experience, it looks like the Tesla Corporation (Senior Customer Service personnel) are not providing the necessary oversight to protect customers from (in this case), misbehavior perpetrated by the Orlando Service Center. It’s a sad day, when Tesla’s senior customer service personnel are nonresponsive to help requests and pull the plausible deniability card over simple issues. What’s going to happen when all the new Model 3 owners start requiring service?

Anyone else have a similar experience with the Orlando Service Center or Tesla’s senior customer service personnel?

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Orlando. Care to elaborate? You mention Tampa performed your annual service and addressed "insignificant" warranty items, so what didn't Orlando do or do well?

I'm a newer owner, so I've only had one (excellent) experience with the local service center. I can't help but think about how the "manufacturer direct" model is supposed to improve the quality and consistency of the vehicle purchase and ownership experience, so when I hear stories about inconsistent and low-quality experiences, I get nervous we're on a path to the "anything less than a 5 on this satisfaction survey is a failing grade for me" nonsense.

Reactions: boaterva
Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Orlando. Care to elaborate? You mention Tampa performed your annual service and addressed "insignificant" warranty items, so what didn't Orlando do or do well?

I'm a newer owner, so I've only had one (excellent) experience with the local service center. I can't help but think about how the "manufacturer direct" model is supposed to improve the quality and consistency of the vehicle purchase and ownership experience, so when I hear stories about inconsistent and low-quality experiences, I get nervous we're on a path to the "anything less than a 5 on this satisfaction survey is a failing grade for me" nonsense.

Regarding the Orlando Service Center, this is the short list of issues experienced while trying to have some insignificant warranty items addressed. I forwarded these exact comments directly to the Center's General Manager, Jamey Skurtovich for action. No response was received from Jamey, until I completed a follow up Tesla Customer Survey ....... I guess the unfavorable review inspired his call? During this conversation, Jamey offered no explanation other than blaming subordinates.

1. Manager’s blaming young, poorly trained people (assigned to the position of Service Concierge) for poor customer relations/service. As I stated during our conversation, someone hired them, trained them and assigned them to interface with vehicle owners. These managers should bare a high degree of responsibility for their subordinate’s lack of basic knowledge and unfavorable actions.

2. Related to the apparent poor part support from the Tesla Corporation. The Orlando Service Center should not be deceptive when customers inquire about the excessive time needed to acquire parts needed to complete repair actions. Possibly, if they acknowledge the problem, schedule periodic communications related to the part status and are forthcoming with customers, their image would change for the better.

3. Discontinue idle promises, like offering complementary annual service maintenance actions they are not prepared to deliver. Especially when the vehicle owner has purchased a maintenance contract at the time of purchase. Reminds me of the behavior of a drug addict., tell you anything to acquire a fix and the next day they don’t remember anything that was said!

4. Wasting Company assets, like sending a person (with a loaner Tesla and a trailer) fifty-eight miles (one-way) to pickup a car that needs a simple 1.5 hour corrective maintenance action. And, the same effort to return the vehicle after completing the repair. Possibly investing the same money in part inventory and better trained personnel, could decrease delays associated with repair actions.

5. Somehow disabling the customer’s vehicle (failed main display) after a simple, noninvasive repair action (rear hatch trim and interior pillar trim replacement) seems very suspicious. But most importantly, giving the owner no reasonable explanation? Doesn’t instill confidence in their automotive mechanics skill/workmanship and/or management’s integrity. Also, given incorrect information regarding the loss of application connectivity requiring a technical support call, reflects poor familiarization with the product they are supporting.

6. And, lastly …….. out of the random Tesla owners I have met at the Super Chargers I have attended, two shared similar experiences with the Orlando Service Center. Both sighting the act of blaming young service agents for poor behavior / unfavorable customer service. Possibly this is chronic problem requiring some type of investigation.

Once again, the real problem is Tesla's Senior Customer Service personnel were not responsive ...... serious lack of oversight!The Regional Representative, Alberto Cortines didn't follow up ...... TJ Meyer-Martin (head of Tesla's Customer Service group in Fremont, CA) wouldn't respond to my e-mail help requests. I had to call the Fremont office looking for his supervisor to finally get some help from TJ ........ very sad state of affairs to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: Gur814 and hiroshiy
Good to hear favorable reviews of the Tampa service center. I'm scheduled to take mine in for a 24,000 mile service in two weeks.

If you have any issues, don't hesitate approaching the Service Manager, Mark LaPlant. Mark is not afraid to provide information, address your concerns and receive constructive criticism! I wish the senior customer management were more like him! Please let how you make out with the Tampa Service Center?

• Funny
Reactions: Matutino
Regarding the Orlando Service Center, this is the short list of issues experienced while trying to have some insignificant warranty items addressed. I forwarded these exact comments directly to the Center's General Manager, Jamey Skurtovich for action. No response was received from Jamey, until I completed a follow up Tesla Customer Survey ....... I guess the unfavorable review inspired his call? During this conversation, Jamey offered no explanation other than blaming subordinates.

1. Manager’s blaming young, poorly trained people (assigned to the position of Service Concierge) for poor customer relations/service. As I stated during our conversation, someone hired them, trained them and assigned them to interface with vehicle owners. These managers should bare a high degree of responsibility for their subordinate’s lack of basic knowledge and unfavorable actions.

2. Related to the apparent poor part support from the Tesla Corporation. The Orlando Service Center should not be deceptive when customers inquire about the excessive time needed to acquire parts needed to complete repair actions. Possibly, if they acknowledge the problem, schedule periodic communications related to the part status and are forthcoming with customers, their image would change for the better.

3. Discontinue idle promises, like offering complementary annual service maintenance actions they are not prepared to deliver. Especially when the vehicle owner has purchased a maintenance contract at the time of purchase. Reminds me of the behavior of a drug addict., tell you anything to acquire a fix and the next day they don’t remember anything that was said!

4. Wasting Company assets, like sending a person (with a loaner Tesla and a trailer) fifty-eight miles (one-way) to pickup a car that needs a simple 1.5 hour corrective maintenance action. And, the same effort to return the vehicle after completing the repair. Possibly investing the same money in part inventory and better trained personnel, could decrease delays associated with repair actions.

5. Somehow disabling the customer’s vehicle (failed main display) after a simple, noninvasive repair action (rear hatch trim and interior pillar trim replacement) seems very suspicious. But most importantly, giving the owner no reasonable explanation? Doesn’t instill confidence in their automotive mechanics skill/workmanship and/or management’s integrity. Also, given incorrect information regarding the loss of application connectivity requiring a technical support call, reflects poor familiarization with the product they are supporting.

6. And, lastly …….. out of the random Tesla owners I have met at the Super Chargers I have attended, two shared similar experiences with the Orlando Service Center. Both sighting the act of blaming young service agents for poor behavior / unfavorable customer service. Possibly this is chronic problem requiring some type of investigation.

Once again, the real problem is Tesla's Senior Customer Service personnel were not responsive ...... serious lack of oversight!The Regional Representative, Alberto Cortines didn't follow up ...... TJ Meyer-Martin (head of Tesla's Customer Service group in Fremont, CA) wouldn't respond to my e-mail help requests. I had to call the Fremont office looking for his supervisor to finally get some help from TJ ........ very sad state of affairs to say the least.
To be fair, it's none of your concern how Tesla runs the business. If they want to send out a driver to the car and bring it back instead of sending out an engineer, that's their call. They might have reasons as to why they do it.

Otherwise, you have some valid points.

I'm sorry I don't agree ......... I want Tesla to be successful financially. Obviously, if they operate inefficiently, profitability most likely will be negatively impacted.

When a customer / owner offers to deliver a vehicle to their service center at NO COST to complete a 1.5 hour repair action. Compared to tying up one delivery person, Tesla truck and trailer, Tesla loaner car for most of the day(not counting risk transporting the their personnel and vehicles 232 miles over busy highways) .......... plus the use of their facility and service mechanic! In my opinion, that's a very wasteful use of resources resulting in a negative consequence on the bottom line.

Mark LaPlant in Tampa should be overseeing the whole service division, he is the BEST!!
He went above and beyond each time I took my car in for service.. my issues were corrected on time and Mark always kept me in the loop.
Probably once if the nicest people I have ever encountered in my life...

After a series of unfavorable experiences with Tesla’s Orlando Service Center (closest geographically to my home, approximately 116 miles roundtrip), I contacted several senior Corporate Customer Service people asking for assistance.

<snip>

First, kudos for handling this in such a professional and reasonable manner. I'm sure your frustration at times had to be threw the roof.

If you could go one step further and share this experience with Elon, I think that would go a long way to making Tesla a better company and improve customer experience. If 'TJ' didn't have the power to make Orlando Service accountable for their actions, then who can? And why couldn't that person be contacted? Elon wants the customer experience to be exceptional. He should know about this asap so it can fixed and never happens again.

First, kudos for handling this in such a professional and reasonable manner. I'm sure your frustration at times had to be threw the roof.

If you could go one step further and share this experience with Elon, I think that would go a long way to making Tesla a better company and improve customer experience. If 'TJ' didn't have the power to make Orlando Service accountable for their actions, then who can? And why couldn't that person be contacted? Elon wants the customer experience to be exceptional. He should know about this asap so it can fixed and never happens again.

WOW ........ someone finally sees what I'm complaining about!

The regional manager (Alberto Cortines) wouldn't return my requests for assistance. Next step, Tesla's HelpDesk. After sending TJ Meyer-Martin (head of Tesla's Customer Service group in Fremont, CA) my list of issues generated from the Orlando Service Center experience. TJ would not respond to my written request for support when dealing with the Orlando Center for future service actions? Hence the title of my post, " TESLA Customer Service – Lack of Oversight?".

How would I share this experience with Elon (he is too busy working on more important things) or someone in high authority a Tesla that would listen to the facts and possibly take action to improve Tesla's customer service system? When I asked to speak to TJ's supervisor, TJ told me he was in charge of the Corporation and no one of higher authority was available!

Please provide some guidance ......... who should I contact (names, e-mail addresses, etc.)?

Mark LaPlant in Tampa should be overseeing the whole service division, he is the BEST!!
He went above and beyond each time I took my car in for service.. my issues were corrected on time and Mark always kept me in the loop.
Probably once if the nicest people I have ever encountered in my life...

I agree, Mark LaPlant has been the only Tesla person who listened to my concerns (experiences with the Orlando Service Center and his own Tampa Center) and addressed each item intelligently (and honestly). Mark is not afraid to communicate with his customers and do what he can to reestablish the brand image you would expect.

WOW ........ someone finally sees what I'm complaining about!

The regional manager (Alberto Cortines) wouldn't return my requests for assistance. Next step, Tesla's HelpDesk. After sending TJ Meyer-Martin (head of Tesla's Customer Service group in Fremont, CA) my list of issues generated from the Orlando Service Center experience. TJ would not respond to my written request for support when dealing with the Orlando Center for future service actions? Hence the title of my post, " TESLA Customer Service – Lack of Oversight?".

How would I share this experience with Elon (he is too busy working on more important things) or someone in high authority a Tesla that would listen to the facts and possibly take action to improve Tesla's customer service system? When I asked to speak to TJ's supervisor, TJ told me he was in charge of the Corporation and no one of higher authority was available!

Please provide some guidance ......... who should I contact (names, e-mail addresses, etc.)?

Tesla has a forum connected to their website that I thought I'd heard people here say is monitored/read by Tesla. Posting there might get it seen. You could also PM some of the longer standing members of this forum, relay your experience and one them likely has an e-mail address for a higher up Tesla exec. Bonnie (on this forum) I believe might have some contact information. Send her a PM and either tell her what happened or direct her to this thread. You can also write a blog and link to it from Elon's Twitter page. There have been a number of owners who have written letters to Elon that he's later posted on the Tesla website (like letters about experiences with their cars).