Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news this morning. The S60 has been discontinued and in its place is the S70D at a very appealing price point and a 0-60 in the 5.4 range.

With now only one model being RWD I wonder if they will discontinue the RWD S85 and have their entire lineup to be AWD. Will likely simplify production of the Model S and the X.

I also noticed that the 85D now has a 0-60 speed of 4.4 seconds and I wonder if this will be enabled for all existing S85D with a software update.

This is a repost and I'm going to merge it. I hope that doesn't feel like censorship to you :rolleyes:

I'm not one that's particularly OCD about following all the pricing and package movements, but I didn't realize that the "Premium Package" is now $5000, which is crazy for a few lights and luxury touches inside. And the 21" rims are now an option even on the performance model...a $4500 option.

Makes it really hard to figure it all out, but all in all I think the pricing works out as a balance.

Can anyone find the S85 (non-dual) option? All I see is 70D, 85D, & P85D

Alcantara headliner is rolled into the Premium package now, so $1500 + $3500. I'm surprised they changed the wording of exact placement of Nappa leather to "use of higher quality materials". Seems much more ambiguous now.

I think the 21s have been an option on the P85D.

My config for the P85D has just gone up $1,530.
At present I cannot generate a detailed quote on the Design Studio to figure out where the bump came from.
However.... here is some data...

Base Price of P85D down to 85,700 from 97,000
Panoramic Roof down to 1,500 from 2,500
Executive Rear Seats up to 3,000 from 2,000
Autopilot Features down to 2,500 from previous Tech Package at 4,250
Smart Air Suspension up to 2,500 from 2,250
Premium Interior Package up to 5,000 from 3,500
Destination and Regulatory Doc Fees up to 1,200 from 1,170

Also cannot find mention of new LED headlights... just LED running lights which were always there... anyone else have info on new headlights...??

I very much like the Warm Silver and Ocean Blue colors.

Last edited:
This is a repost and I'm going to merge it. I hope that doesn't feel like censorship to you :rolleyes:

Nope this is reasonable :) Thanks for merging all the information in one place. I didn't realize this topic is covered in the "news" section when I posted.

It's exciting to see the Model S lineup become more capable and competitive. By the time Audi and the rest build an EV to compete with the circa 2012 Model S, Tesla will be a generation ahead of whatever they come out with. They got the pricing for the 70D spot on.

YES. Though it's more entertaining when it's a day later and people are still starting new threads on the same topic, usually beginning with 'I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but...'.

:)
Darn, I was just about to edit my post to quote yours (which I saw after writing mine), but you beat me. All this whirlwind excitement! :smile:

I'll speculate (as I did in the Investor's area):

The S70D uses a new battery chemistry with higher energy density, so the battery pack has the same dimensions and similar weight as the 60.

Once the supply of these new battery cells is sufficient, the 85 kWh pack will be replaced by a 85*70/60=100 kWh pack. Same enclosure, similar weight as the 85.

I can't wait to see what the performance times of a S100D will be....

Precisely! It all seems set up for X100 as well. Timed perfectly for release of Model X.

In addition, that means changes for the 85D:

On the American website, it now says that the 85D has 422 horsepower and a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds.

On the German website, it now says that the 85D is rated at 428 PS with a 0-100 time of 4,6 seconds, but here's the interesting part: the 85D has a 522 PS Nominal Rated Power (261 PS for both front and rear motors).

So it sounds like the 85D is becoming more powerful, and potentially much more powerful? This has interesting implications for my 85D arriving in June....

We've known for a while that the 85D can do 0-60mph in 4.3-4.4 sec, real world, even when TM said it was 5.2 sec upon initial release. I think the changes in the figures today is just them restating what has always been there.

Did you notice that the 70D is saying "Late December Delivery"?

Late December Delivery.png

I'll speculate (as I did in the Investor's area):

The S70D uses a new battery chemistry with higher energy density, so the battery pack has the same dimensions and similar weight as the 60.

Once the supply of these new battery cells is sufficient, the 85 kWh pack will be replaced by a 85*70/60=100 kWh pack. Same enclosure, similar weight as the 85.

I can't wait to see what the performance times of a S100D will be....
I wonder what this will do to used MS prices.:scared: I suspect the S70D just beat down the price of used S60's. An S100 would probably do the same to used S85's (if not already impacted by the 70). And when all those trades come out for the Model X? Yikes.

I have a feeling that my s60 just lost 10k in resale value this morning. Oh well, its not like I have any intent on ever selling it, my plan is to drive it for at least the next decade. The highlight of my day every day is still getting to drive me dream car, and the 70D will not change that!