Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually we pretty much know exactly what that means for Australia - minimum 2 years after the US. We had to wait 3.5 years for the model 3 so here’s my prediction: first deliveries in Aus will be Sept 2023.

I wouldn’t nessisarily think the past OS Delivery delays are an indicator for the future, he now has multiple new factories coming online, being built, and has already demonstrated his “3 month” mix to get both US domestic & OS production for M3s.
But sure, he’ll have to fulfill some of domestic first.

Quietly hoping this body is an Elon joke ... he’s got a more normal body out back, surprise us all later with another reveal .... yeh, I know, ice cubes chance in hell.

he’s got a more normal body out back, surprise us all later with another reveal

I think this is quite likely, there will be some tweaking before production. But Elon has nailed his colours to the mast, he no longer has to play on the same field as Euro GT cars any more, he's proved his point there with Model S. Now he can make something he wants to make and what the hey, if people don't like it they will go buy a Rivian or whatever Ford comes out with. It could be a massive bomb or it could be a master stroke, only time will tell.

I see the cybertuck launch as a really big deal for Tesla. Sure the design is polarising and won't be mass market but it will push the boundaries of what people want and the market will need to respond. Around 150,000 people seem happy enough with it already and that will be more than enough of a start. Tesla is still production constrained and couldn't have made mass market numbers in any case.

But the really big deal is what this signals for Tesla in terms of their technology advancements over the next 2 years. A bullet proof stainless steel truck with air suspension and 250+ miles range for the price of an SR+, let alone a model that can do 800+km for $15k less than a Model S! This all shows that Telsa is pulling further ahead on innovation, technology and price. Advancements in battery technology with Maxwell etc is going to dramatically increase range and lower price. All while the rest of the industry is struggling to match the specs of a 2012 Model S.

Don't forget the Cybertruck is a truck made by the lead engineer of SpaceX...as such it's an "engineered" truck, not a periodical design fad.

The two triangles are because this is a classic truss design (some call it space frame) where either side of the truck are the main structural components of the truck, instead of using a conventional inboard chassis rail system with body on top. That was his whole point where he said the body of the ute bed is normally never used to actually support the load. Further the use of cold rolled stainless steel in the body gets rid of a $200m paint shop in the factory, and it's likely to only get a wrap for colour. Further the SS doesn't need a multi million dollar body press to mold body parts and panels, a simple panbrake press will do. This is a significant cost reduction fo manufacturing, and that together with the new batteries they will announce soon, makes the price possible.

The other cost reduction is that the use of the same SS as the Starship in the Cybertruck will drive the cost of manufacturing the SS itself, and in turn reduce the vehicle cost of Starship as well. Plus all the shared manufacturing capability and engineering. This is part of a bigger plan. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...sometimes we need to look with the "right eyes" to see what it is and isn't. :)

The features, price and performance are staggering if you try to emulate this with any other vehicle you'd easily add a extra digit in cost.

Don't forget the Cybertruck is a truck made by the lead engineer of SpaceX...as such it's an "engineered" truck, not a periodical design fad.

The two triangles are because this is a classic truss design (some call it space frame) where either side of the truck are the main structural components of the truck, instead of using a conventional inboard chassis rail system with body on top. That was his whole point where he said the body of the ute bed is normally never used to actually support the load. Further the use of cold rolled stainless steel in the body gets rid of a $200m paint shop in the factory, and it's likely to only get a wrap for colour. Further the SS doesn't need a multi million dollar body press to mold body parts and panels, a simple panbrake press will do. This is a significant cost reduction fo manufacturing, and that together with the new batteries they will announce soon, makes the price possible.

The other cost reduction is that the use of the same SS as the Starship in the Cybertruck will drive the cost of manufacturing the SS itself, and in turn reduce the vehicle cost of Starship as well. Plus all the shared manufacturing capability and engineering. This is part of a bigger plan. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...sometimes we need to look with the "right eyes" to see what it is and isn't. :)

The features, price and performance are staggering if you try to emulate this with any other vehicle you'd easily add a extra digit in cost.
You shouldn’t confuse the emotion of buying with the reality of engineering. Historically, has any motor vehicle that is angular and without curves sold in record numbers or become a classic? Musk knew that when tesla designed model S that the majority of the buying public cannot be re-educated in what a vehicle looks like. He designed it conservatively to create sales. Air thrusters from space x in the roadster creates frivolous emotion. That will sell. Stainless steel body panels from a rocket. Can’t see it.

I predict that what eventually comes off the assembly lines in 2021/22 will be quite different from this launch version. Various factors - ease of manufacture, feedback from potential buyers, general useability etc- will see a more practical vehicle emerge.

I want to own a Cybertruck so bad. The only problem for me is the size - I just don’t need something so big while doing mostly city driving with narrow lanes and tight underground parking.

The whole design package is great, I love the angular look and that raw steel finish is going to start a trend. What I really want is a Model Y size car that looks like the Cybertruck’s little brother. Same car just 20% smaller.

All that may be true. But there's no way this will go mass market. Look at it. The kind of bozos who purchase 'trucks' want extended manhoods not economics.

As for the size argument a Landcrusier Workmate dual cab is 60cm longer, only 5cm wider, and 2cm higher. The packaging is much more efficient.

I think everyone that knows what cost of ownership entails, will understand that this is better than the other options on the table. Many trades will swap just for the ability of power onsite, towing and load capacity alone. There is most definitely a business case for this, let alone when FSD is fully available, wherewith he just killed the Toll/UPS market as well. Does anyone remember the consequences of a FSD based transportation system on projected vehicle sales? The question will become who even bothers owning a car, as it's cheaper and more convenient NOT to have one. It's happening, when is another question, but I'd say within the decade for sure.

Who needs what type of vehicle type is in general a different discussion and also becomes mute with FSD and it's projections. As is what market it is meant for. BTW EM says he does NO marketing for his products, his criteria is that he has to like it otherwise it won't be made. Therefore "technically", From an engineering standpoint, we might all end up with two seater tandem three wheeler and 3 seat abreast buses/vans! :p It's convention that is holding us back, through the cultural inertia of design fads and trends, not engineering constraints, physical principles or even consumer usage profiles. The problem is changing peoples minds as to why they should part with their cash.

My point is that this car is from Elon, as an engineer, not from Franz who designs their vehicle to appeal to the masses. With education comes wisdom, and perception is not only through ones eyes. Vision is the capacity to see beyond the horizon, and predict the needs of those that can't do it themselves. Visual appeal is mute to physics as is physics mute to visual appeal. EM said as much himself that "he doesn't care what others think of it". I for one believe him.

I trust they will sort out the glass.

So we can all join the local suicide bocce leagues? We replaced Landcruiser windscreens 3 months in a row from pea gravel.

A practical problem with it is reaching over the side to get something out of the tray - you won’t be able to, you’ll have to fetch it from the end. That could grow from being a minor to major annoyance day in, day out. It’s also, um, very big.

No deposit from me, but I was never in the market for a truck.

Can’t reach much in any sided 4wd ute without standing on the wheel (and these wheels look perfect for that).

We deposited, hope the horses like looking at its flat rump. Be nice if nobody else buys it around here then we won’t have to worry about whether the aesthetics are sublime or not.

As I quietly suspected might happen ... ITS GROWING ON ME !! o_O
... and I suspect it won't be just me.
200k pre-orders may only be the tip of the ice-berg. Elon-magic :D

Aside from the AMAZING specs & value, (i.e. lowest dollars per Kwh in ANY electric vehicle, as echoed by quite a few people now),
I can think of new other reasons why it could sell more that expected;
  • Tradie business owners looking for a Stand-Out fleet of vehicles ... No better advertising!
  • Don't have garage space for this monster, no issue, it perfectly suited for sitting in the weather, in your driveway, for everyone to see!
  • It passes the Bunnings car-park test with flying colours :p