Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The head of ancap has declared that it has some major design hurdles for australian compliance, including wheels inside the line of the arches, indicators, windscreen washers, pedestrian safety considerations, and crumple zones. He doesn’t know how they will make the tough skin crumple in an accident, which is evidently a very bad thing for occupants. He acknowledged it was a prototype.

• Informative
Reactions: Gnat666
The head of ancap has declared that it has some major design hurdles for australian compliance, including wheels inside the line of the arches, indicators, windscreen washers, pedestrian safety considerations, and crumple zones. He doesn’t know how they will make the tough skin crumple in an accident, which is evidently a very bad thing for occupants. He acknowledged it was a prototype.
Yeah, cold-rolled 30X stainless steel is not known for its ability to crumple. And if the car doesn’t crumple, more of the energy in deceleration is transferred to the occupants, pureeing their internal organs.

Regarding safety, this has been one of Teslas highlights from their other vehicles, so I'm sure they haven't forgotten about it. No idea how they're going to fix it, but they wouldn't build a vehicle they can't sell. Is getting involved in a collision with a Cybertruck going to be any worst than a Triton with a bullbar?

Given this is the "Cybertruck in Australia" thread, a couple of other Australian specific questions:

I'm guessing a kangaroo will just bounce off one of these? :)

And AC charging... in Australia, it is vital that something like this supports AC charging up to 22 kW. This is probably more of an infrastructure concern than a Cybertruck concern, and while things might change between now and 2022/23, we can't assume that it will. As supercharging/fast charging coverage increases, people are going to want to take the truck to places that are off those routes, so 22 kW AC charging is always going to be useful.

I would hazard a guess that they would score the underside of the skin similar to control joints used in concreting.

I wish they gave us more details. Can't help but feel it was prematurely unveiled and used as a placeholder to get their foot in the door for that 'segment'.

I just read the driven.io piece and came to say the same regarding scoring the parts that need to crumple, as Chuq said safety is the number one priority for designing Tesla’s so far and I am sure Elon and the design team will not forget that. Lots of current commercial vehicles don’t have active safety systems and many have steel bumpers/bull bars and/or very short crumple zones.

My biggest concerns are around water/ice and the vault cover? Will it allow rain water into the vault? Will it create a puddle inside when it rolls away? How do you clean water/leaves from the area where it rolls up? Not a big issue in Aus but will it jam when ice gets/forms inside?

I heard it has a flat plate underneath for protection which is good for off roading, is it sealed for crossing rivers?

I am sure Tesla is thinking about all of these, especially as Elon has experience with off roading in tough terrain as a kid in South Africa, just interested in how they will solve them.

A high AC charge rate would be good, but to really take this out yonder we really need a diesel DC generator as a charger. Preferably embedded in the back underfloor storage if it fits and rated for about 15-20kW. It would need an internal plug, maybe where the 230V output is. It won't have a chance in sand driving with the range otherwise, even if airing down, and can only be used for short offroad excursion. There's going to be a solar option but that only adds another 24kms a day though. Good enough to keep the camp running I suppose.

EM said it would weigh the same as a F150 in the presentation, so I'd expect it to be around 2600kg empty, plus another 1400kg load capacity. Not bad for a overlander...if you can find enough ways to charge it. The ability to run camp from the 230V supply will be nice, so you can use it for induction cookers instead of gas, then you can duct the A/C for heating and cooling to the rear as well. Only thing missing is water tanks, but there's a fair bit of room in the frunk otherwise by the looks.

In regards to the crash testing I'm expecting that the entire front section up until the small b pillar in front of the front door will be the crumple zone. That's over 1m. With the wheel pushing the front door back and open once unlocked. Pedestrian protection looks hard when the vehicle suspension is up, but I'd expect this vehicle will need to be a low rider to reduce drag and improve range. I wonder if they actually do the pedestrian tests when it's low, otherwise I'd imagine it will get hard to offer protection to meet the regs. Most pedestrians are in urban areas, so it would make sense to drive low on flat roads. It would be fairly trivial for them to add some active suspension ride height control either from camera vision or geolocation.

I expect the front bumer to be plastic or composite not SS, so I dunno how it will go for roos down the middle if it also has to be pedestrian compliant. Side will be fine :)

Reminds me of the Oka actually, straight panels and glass.

Wait 4 years?
In the meantime I expect a rash of local manufacturers could easily beat CT to market with lookalike product.
I expect to be spoiled for choice with unpainted personnel carriers.
In fact I would expect that term to become quite widely used, like "people mover' usage

Wait 4 years?
In the meantime I expect a rash of local manufacturers could easily beat CT to market with lookalike product.
I expect to be spoiled for choice with unpainted personnel carriers.
In fact I would expect that term to become quite widely used, like "people mover' usage

Doubtful there's going to be many others that will follow suit in regards to the design. Not until after it is released and if(when) it succeeds in capturing market share - it's only taken the legacy industry about 6 years to 'catchup' on the whole electric thing. The model y and more so the cybertuck are going to demonstrate how efficient Tesla has really become at manufacturing at scale and showing others how it's done. The machine that builds the machine.

4 years is enough time for Tesla to really iron out their FSD - And once they do, what will the price of FSD be then? $10000, $12000, $15000? This is where Musk keeps saying that Tesla's will appreciate. Especially when we aren't seeing much in the way of FSD from other automakers. Analysts at ARK estimate Tesla have a 4 year lead on the rest of the pack.

We know that pre-orders count for nothing in terms of FIFO but $150 to lock in FSD at the current $8500 is a no brainer.

Doubtful there's going to be many others that will follow suit in regards to the design. Not until after it is released and if(when) it succeeds in capturing market share - it's only taken the legacy industry about 6 years to 'catchup' on the whole electric thing. The model y and more so the cybertuck are going to demonstrate how efficient Tesla has really become at manufacturing at scale and showing others how it's done. The machine that builds the machine.

4 years is enough time for Tesla to really iron out their FSD - And once they do, what will the price of FSD be then? $10000, $12000, $15000? This is where Musk keeps saying that Tesla's will appreciate. Especially when we aren't seeing much in the way of FSD from other automakers. Analysts at ARK estimate Tesla have a 4 year lead on the rest of the pack.

We know that pre-orders count for nothing in terms of FIFO but $150 to lock in FSD at the current $8500 is a no brainer.
The advancements of autopilot in the past 4 years suggest we are going to need a quantum leap to see fsd in the next 4 years.

Reactions: matsoutback