Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla doesn't seem to see much value in their own cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up a new 70D tomorrow.

I had considered trading in my 40 (almost perfect condition, tech package, ppf, photosync, nav, premium sound, 58k miles)... however Tesla would only offer me 28k. CarMax is offering 37k (they know it's a 40, not a 60).

The reps at Tesla don't quite understand why their own offer is so low (one privately mentioned he'd buy it personally off me for more).

Also considering, Tesla can easily make it a 60...

I'll probably keep the 40.

Last edited:
My suggestion to you is sell it to private offer that you got.

There are lot of Tesla owners here who have sold their car on their own to upgrade.

Tesla offers low trade in values agreed but at the same time there are owners here in the forum who when upgrading to 85D or 90D noticed that their car was being listed not much from what they got paid.

I would take the 37K asap. IMO, your car is not worth much to anyone other than tesla who can software unlock to a 60. But then even a 60 is near worthless IMO becuase of the many many cpo 85 out there. There was a recent p85 cpo for 51K. There is Only one way the price is going. Subtract the P, you will be around 45K for S85. Subtract the 85 to get the 60, you are looking at around $40K or less. Subtract to to get the s40? Well now you see why i think you should sell ASAP before they change their minds. Keep in mind this is what is on the cpo website. There might be other cars sold that are cheaper and never get listed. Finally cpo comes woth 50K miles 4 years warranty. I doubt you get that with your s40.

Oh, do not get me started..........
Tesla offered $9K less than one of their own (ICE) wholesalers offered me on a P85+. In addition, they would not do a courtesy trade so I could recapture the Florida Sales Tax credit for trading the car in (6% of $79K, no small number). There was no excuse as my car would have been going to a wholesaler they have a working relationship with (provides bids and buys Tesla's ICE trades).

Tesla is really good when it comes to fixed price new car sales and after sales service. When it comes to doing business when they offer no monopolistic advantage like trading in a Tesla with a known wholesale value, it is my way or the highway. They have a statutory obligation to collect state sales tax (comes with their dealer's license) and they are not remotely ashamed to use that position to extract cash from their customers. Take our low ball trade in number and WE WILL GIVE YOU the sales tax credit. Yea, right! That sales tax issue is between me and the state. You are only in the middle because you are obligated to collect the tax.

Funny how they will tool the people that believed in them at the start and bought their product in the beginning just because they can not add value in the used market and, to maintain their margins, must screw the returning customers.

sorry for the rant... I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the whole thing.

Not sure of the "back story" but I traded in my 2013 "40" this past May for a 70D and I was given 90% ($49,000) of what I originally paid. My car had about 8,200 miles, air suspension and leather.

I was very fortunate, it appears . . .

I already had some knowledge of Tesla's lower trade in offers. I guess my surprise was in how significant the delta appears to be between other dealers...

In this case, Tesla can make a 40 into a 60 via a simple firmware update and add thousands to the value; CarMax can not, yet they value the car at $9000 more (they stated that they do not inventory/resell Tesla's, 37k+ is what they think they can get for it at auction). Tesla believes it will cost them $2900 to resell.

Last edited:
The long and short of it is that Tesla is not competitive in the CPO market as their overhead is much higher than the average luxury used car outlet. Those outlets also make money on "products" like sign and drive leases or financing. The only way Tesla can play in the game is to buy the cars for less so they use their first point of contact status to under bid trade ins from returning customers. You get to pay for Tesla's inability to compete. It is as simple as that.

Nice loyalty bonus :)

Not sure of the "back story" but I traded in my 2013 "40" this past May for a 70D and I was given 90% ($49,000) of what I originally paid. My car had about 8,200 miles, air suspension and leather.

I was very fortunate, it appears . . .

Wow. They must like you (I'd love to see what notes they keep on me in their Salesforce CRM), or the mileage is the big difference ...

Just my $.02 for no reason other than I have $.02 to spare and its Christmas time.

Tesla is not a car dealer. They have none of the markings of a car dealer. In my opinion, used car values will suffer least if Tesla stays out of the used car world.

Their CPO prices are unbelievable. And those values are promoting inflated prices from non Tesla store sellers. And cars just sit.

If cars price properly, they sell. If they sell, that changes the demand picture. There is no way for a seller to control demand or pricing unless supply is in a state of shortage. Folks, just a hunch here...we are not in a state of shortage. So many cars out there. Tiny niche ultra luxury market, and a quick US search of non CPO cars on AutoTrader pulled up 267.

Again...just my $.02.