Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops Alcantara headliners from Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok it's gone on MS and MX. I called Tesla because my MX was in a crash a couple weeks ago and I'm not sure whether or not it's repairable. I called and asked about the alcantara, and they were very scripted but said the alcantara is completely gone. I said on the Design studio it still shows it, so if I order it with that what will happen. And she basically said it must not be updated yet and that it's gone. ROAR

Or Tesla is cutting costs. Or there’s an alcantara shortage. Or Franz got sick

There is the rumor that their Alcantara supplier stopped talking to them after 2000 deliveries. One theory is that their Model 3 ramp's slowness ticked off the supplied... just speculation that, of course...

The next thing that will "blindside" Elon...the cost of being late • r/teslamotors

Tesla Model 3 Alcantara controversy explained • r/teslamotors

Also, possibly related Alcantara supplier limitations in the U.S. limiting Tesla's options:

Here’s Where You Can Still Buy Alcantara

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
My MX with black alcantara was in an accident, and one of the things on the appraisal for parts-to-be-replaced is "headliner with alcantara black". If they're truly discontinuing it, do you think they are completely out of stock and will only replace it with the textile stuff? Or do they keep some left in stock for repairs? For what it's worth, I also need white perforated seats replaced since airbags deployed, so I'm hoping they have some perforated seats left around. What do you think?

I'm so glad I got my S when I did. We got to choose everything. No bundles. Fully customized and we have alcantara all over. It cleans nicely (my toddler squeezed her mango breakfast pouch all over the all glass roof (easy clean) and headliner (white!) and it came out a week later (I know, super lazy but it was a road trip).

Tesla must understand that the fabric pictured in Electrek looks bad and cheap at the same time and will be impossible to clean (its textured!).

I can't believe they got rid of alcantara.

My MX with black alcantara was in an accident, and one of the things on the appraisal for parts-to-be-replaced is "headliner with alcantara black". If they're truly discontinuing it, do you think they are completely out of stock and will only replace it with the textile stuff? Or do they keep some left in stock for repairs? For what it's worth, I also need white perforated seats replaced since airbags deployed, so I'm hoping they have some perforated seats left around. What do you think?

It is my understanding that automotive manufacturers are mandated by law to keep parts available for a certain number of years, however hard to say what kind of changes would be OK for them to make?

Reactions: Brandon332
It is my understanding that automotive manufacturers are mandated by law to keep parts available for a certain number of years, however hard to say what kind of changes would be OK for them to make?

I don't know if that extends to cloth. I agree they just discontinued its likely they have alcantara lying around but its also Tesla and I know they have parts supply issues.

As @lunitiks points out, ventilated seats were discontinued after a very short run so its likely a bigger issue than the alcantara.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I don't know if that extends to cloth. I agree they just discontinued its likely they have alcantara lying around but its also Tesla and I know they have parts supply issues.

As @lunitiks points out, ventilated seats were discontinued after a very short run so its likely a bigger issue than the alcantara.

Yes, I get the risk.

I'm almost afraid of driving my "everything" Q1/2017 unicorn (well, not unicorn but almost) with ventilated seats, adaptive spoiler, leather, Helix wheels, Alcantara dash, Alcantara headliner, glossy seatbacks, free Supercharging etc... what if I crash! They literally don't make them like that anymore! :D

Reactions: zmarty
I think the black alcantara headliner option code is "UTAB".

Light being "UTAW"

(UT = Upper trim, A = Alcantara, B = Black, W = White)

I'm pretty sure this is not anything new and was done at least prior to end of Q3 2017 around the time new drive units were being introduced in S and X, and when the dash became all PUR without Alcantara accents (even on PUP). For example, UTAB (dark Alcantara) got replaced by UTSB (dark ultra suede). The latter is on our late Sept 2017 MX delivery.

Edit: and as far as Model 3 goes, the posted pictures of the new woven material are not UTSB but closer to a gray version of original woven cloth classic S material, even with Premium package (but not all Performance models at that time).

Yes, I get the risk.

I'm almost afraid of driving my "everything" Q1/2017 unicorn (well, not unicorn but almost) with ventilated seats, adaptive spoiler, leather, Helix wheels, Alcantara dash, Alcantara headliner, glossy seatbacks, free Supercharging etc... what if I crash! They literally don't make them like that anymore! :D
My thoughts exactly. I haven't upgraded to an AP 2.0 MX only because of these things which they don't offer anymore

I'm pretty sure this is not anything new and was done at least prior to end of Q3 2017 around the time new drive units were being introduced in S and X, and when the dash became all PUR without Alcantara accents (even on PUP). For example, UTAB (dark Alcantara) got replaced by UTSB (dark ultra suede). The latter is on our late Sept 2017 MX delivery.
Interesting

• Funny
Rumors say this is the new standard headliner:

S7376H24-XLARGE.jpg