Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops Alcantara headliners from Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this video kman test out a brand spanking new 100D. It has the new premium Cream interior introduced this summer with the new back seat. The car in the review got the black standard textile headliner. An impossible combo it should be? Now moving forward this is how it will look. Actually I prefer the premium textile variant and has never been keen on the Alcantara.

Take a look at around 4:20 into this video to see the 100D with Cream premium interior and black textile headliner:

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
So that's what an Alcanta animal looks like.

Alcatara...
Alcatera.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking at trading in my 2016 S75 for a 100D. However, they just keep making it harder and harder for me to give up my S75:
1) They took away the solid roof which I preferred
2) They took away the Obeche trim.
3) They switched to the "packages" for the interior and the only combo I would order (black premium seats, black trim) isn't an option.
4) They ditched the Alcantara on the dash.
5) Now they've ditched the Alcantara completely (for whatever reason). I had the textile (photo looks identical) on the interior in my last BMW and hated it. It felt out of place on a luxury sedan.

I could deal with one of two of those but as a group it's honestly a deal-breaker for me since I already have a Tesla I am 95% okay with (just wish it had a little more range). Other than the extra range (which I would like to have but don't really "need"), there's just no reason to upgrade. Sure there's AP2 but there currently aren't any killer features that makes AP1 seem obsolete.

The Alcantara might look nice new, but they wear so poorly that it will look like crap after a few months. Good luck if you ever get any people who like to run their hands through it. Also you are lucky they are not on the seats like the Porsche. All they do is absorb your sweat and moisture and then they stick up like little hair. It's super gross.

The Alcantara might look nice new, but they wear so poorly that it will look like crap after a few months. Good luck if you ever get any people who like to run their hands through it. Also you are lucky they are not on the seats like the Porsche. All they do is absorb your sweat and moisture and then they stick up like little hair. It's super gross.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but my car is about 15 months old now and the Alcantara still looks great.
... over 5 years for me. Wearing just fine.

Alcantara on seats is a bit controversial. For one, it wears better than leather that gets patina. Water washable, things can be erased of Alcantara using a soft eraser (ball point pen comes off like a champ) etc., and less extreme heat in hot/cold compared to leather, and does not scratch like leather so easily does. Out of all the materials, Alcantara is likeliest to really look like new for many, many years (just clean it according to instructions).

But Alcantara is susceptible to extreme rubbing causing it to wear off eventually. It can remain pristine for 10 years (unlike leather) and perfectly cleanable, with water no less (unlike most automotive textiles), but if it is subject to high wear and tear, eventually it can sort of start to frizz.

I've seen this on some old office chairs and old car photos on the forward/leading edge of the Alcantara seat. Then again, leather seats are usually worn out or at least with a lot of "patina" much quicker...

Alcantara on non-rubbing or only softly rubbing areas like roofs or door walls, though, or soft couches... perfect. Will last forever.

Apparently this transition was made for Model S/X already "some time ago"?

Here is the respond I got from Executive Care Team:

Hello Eric,

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!

Quote from the Executive Care Team response:

"this is our product that we stand behind"

Are they referring to the headliner material as being "their product"? As in they've taken that product in house like AP with versions 2/2.5? If that's the case then I'm just gonna hold out for Headliner 3.0. It'll take them a year to realize Headliner 2.0 just isn't gonna cut it and they'll introduce a new "soft touch" material.

The words “premium” and “textile” constitute a non sequitur and as such should never appear sequentially in a sentence having anything to do with Tesla interiors.

Again, if the new grey waffle weave textile is “premium” as part of the Model 3 mandatory (at the moment) PUP package, then what on Earth will the base textile be? Lawn clippings? Compost? Dryer lint? Recycled newspaper?

There’s no comparison tweenst Alcantera and textile. The latter is hard to clean, wears poorly and looks awful. The former at least in black is passable on most counts, perhaps absent B pillar wear.

And while we’re at it, bring back the yacht floor. Save a few dollars in the process.

Harrumph.

/goml