Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in my country, the price drop has reflected on Tesla's website this morning. I took delivery of the vehicle last night. Anyone know if I would be able to get money back from Tesla if price drops within 24 hours of delivery? For a Model S, it's some nice spare change and it will really bother me lol
Generally speaking, no. A deal is a deal and they're not gonna unwind it to give you $2k back.

Got my 23 MSP for $89.9k with Ultra red color included, which they charge $2.5k now.
The reality is that a brand new MS should’ve been 60k tops and the MSP 70k tops.
Don’t be surprised when that happens.

As far as the M3 and MY, they should’ve been 30k and 40k top since the beginning, and that’s for the P models. The M3 is essentially an entry level electric Civic, same goes for the MY but as a pseudo SUV.

Reactions: voxel
wow, I’ve never lost so much money on a car

Paid 110k for this car 1 year ago.
Almost a 50% reduction in value.

I’ll never buy another Tesla again.
Elon is a genius at making money: It was the MY, then the X, now the S and soon the CyberT
wow, I’ve never lost so much money on a car

Paid 110k for this car 1 year ago.
Almost a 50% reduction in value.

I’ll never buy another Tesla again.
Ellon is a genius at making money; Did the same thing with the Y, then the X, now the S and soon enough the Cyber Truck.
People that can’t wait buy high, then drops prices for people that were on the fence then does it again to get those that never thought they could afford a Tesla 😲😂🤣

Got my 23 MSP for $89.9k with Ultra red color included, which they charge $2.5k now.
The reality is that a brand new MS should’ve been 60k tops and the MSP 70k tops.

As far as the M3 and MY, they should’ve been 30k and 40k top since the beginning, and that’s for the P models. The M3 is essentially an entry level electric Civic, same goes for the MY but as a pseudo SUV.
That pricing back in 2021 for the S and S Plaid made no sense. It’s a different car landscape now.

That’s about $8k too high
This free trial is quite annoying. Unless I’m 120% looking ahead at all times it flashes and eventually disengages the drive. Even for looking comments get my coffee cup or looking over to my wife next to me for a brief second on a highway with no one in front of me within vision. On 3rd of 5 faults so I’m not risking a week AP suspension for this crap.

Usless. I run regular AP with int camera blocked and I get way less nags. Took camera cover off for FSD trial. What a nuisance it’s been for a simple glance over.

Also inconsistent fsd. Glitches too often.

I guess I don’t understand the hate with price drops. If I wanted to make money on a purchase, I’d invest my money instead. It didn’t buy a car to make money, I bought it to get me around and have fun while I do it. I look at depreciating assets as paying what I could afford and I thought worth it for the entertainment it provides to me. Like putting together a $7500 gaming computer that 8 years from now will be worth a fraction of that.

I guess I don’t understand the hate with price drops. If I wanted to make money on a purchase, I’d invest my money instead. It didn’t buy a car to make money, I bought it to get me around and have fun while I do it. I look at depreciating assets as paying what I could afford and I thought worth it for the entertainment it provides to me. Like putting together a $7500 gaming computer that 8 years from now will be worth a fraction of that.
There is also a group of people who aren't sure they'll want to keep a car for X years and anticipate some level of depreciation based on typical market behavior. This drastic depreciation flips the whole table on those depreciation calculations since you're dealing with an extremely unstable MSRP and forces that person to stay in a car if they want to end up out of the deal as above water as possible. At this moment, it's impossible to determine the actual value of any Tesla since it's changed drastically with little to no warning. I mean, it unfortunately has left me stuck in a Model Y for a lot longer than I ever expected to be in it for.

TLDR: It's not about making money, it's about making a sound financial decision and then being blindsided by Tesla.

Price drop 2k is accurate but only gray is still free.

On other topics, luxury cars that are in lower demand depreciate a ton! Teslas are easy to get and a dime a dozen now, not cutting edge by far, this depreciate a lot as assets now. I'd expect a good 20% "off the lot" and more in few few years.

I would happily pay $150K for an MSP if it came with great assembly (even at the current material quality level) and great service. Nothing competes with it for the current or even previous price.

1. People don't like it when they're charged a lot more money for something they could have paid a lot less for.
  2. Sudden large price drops put a lot of folks under water on their loans increasing the odds of their car being totaled after an accident and having to write the bank a check just to pay off your now under water loan.
  3. Those who only intend to keep their car for a few years and then resell. This is literally money out of their pocket they weren't counting on.

1. People don't like it when they're charged a lot more money for something they could have paid a lot less for.
  2. Sudden large price drops put a lot of folks under water on their loans increasing the odds of their car being totaled after an accident and having to write the bank a check just to pay off your now under water loan.

#2 is pretty common, especially with new gadgets, toys, cars, etc. It is to be expected. You buy something ASAP/as an early adopter, you're going to pay a premium for that time to get/have it first. Now yes with Tesla, things tend to go up/down over periods so some timing is key, but it's pretty consistent with other economic issues going on.