Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops solid white as a color choice - speculation as to why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what do you think this more likely to be about - increasing margins by charging people $1500 for the pearl white, or simply not enough demand for solid white?

I'm disappointed because it was a great color choice for those who don't want to spend more money on premium paint colors.

Pearls are notoriously difficult to match/blend panels after accident damage. They are beautiful but they're not an easy color to maintain in showroom condition over a long ownership period.

Here is why they discontinued the solid white - MONEY!

White is a popular color. The white on black admittedly makes Tesla looks super sexy.
Since it's a popular combination, the entry price is now .. ding ding ding .. 1500 more.
And there will be people who will gladly pay that too.

I never understood why anyone would pay 1500 more for .. a different white :-/.

And why money? Model 3, Fremont factory expansion, Gigafactory expansion, supercharger expansion, service centers expansion, absorbing solar city ... all this in the face of every damn analyst insisting that Tesla will need to raise more cash, while Elon insisting that they won't. Pair this with a rising interest rate environment, and the bubble in auto loans ..

Long story short, it's a do or die moment for Tesla. And IMO Elon is so far executing the 32 mile sprint very gracefully so far. But the war is far from won.

PS: Of course the above is my guess, for all I know they ran out of paint and have a guy at home depot buying buckets right now.

Have you seen them in person? Very different.

Pearl white was my 2nd choice color, and I would've paid $500 more for it (still had to shell out $1k for blue)

Bingo! And that's exactly my point.
I wouldn't shell out an extra 1500 for white. But, you might, and many others would - and Tesla knows this, and Tesla is happy to take your money.

I've seen pearl white and white side by side. Pearl white DOES look better, but I'd save my 1500 .. but everyone is different. I like the blue color the most (that's what I got).

I bought both my X & S in solid white.
At some point they briefly discontinued it before I ordered my X, and I was SO disappointed, for the reasons above. It's hard to match etc. Knowing I'd have the cars a long time, I'd probably have to paint the front for rock chips etc.
Luckily they added it again.
Personally to boot, I don't like pearl on white in general, so the solid is a no brainer for me. In fact I'd pay $1500 for if even it the pearl was cheaper.

Sad to see if go cause I wanted to get my M3 in solid white as well....

Reactions: whitex
Bingo! And that's exactly my point.
I wouldn't shell out an extra 1500 for white. But, you might, and many others would - and Tesla knows this, and Tesla is happy to take your money.

I've seen pearl white and white side by side. Pearl white DOES look better, but I'd save my 1500 .. but everyone is different. I like the blue color the most (that's what I got).
IMHO.....Solid White looked much much better.

Its a shame the Solid White was eliminated. That was a bad move by Tesla.

Reactions: Naonak and 1208
I have never had a white car. In fact, I didn't want white. But, after owning white on my 85d, I can honestly say I'd get the same color again. wow, is it resilient. It doesn't show scratches, blemishes, dirt etc. Our black tesla looks dirty after I wash it!
Titanium (bmw) was always my fav. But tesla got rid of silver for a while.
I got white, and I have learned to appreciate my white-ness. It is so easy to take car of. I don't see the benefit of this move by Tesla. Every car company has a Black (best looking), and a White (easiest to maintain) car. Pearl white is a as hard to match as any other. I don't get it.