Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I tried this Autonomous Driving and I have to say its still quite a jokel . At this point I would not have spent the money or maybe even bought the car had I known it was so restricted. Folks I can get in my MB s550 and it will drive the car in between the lines at just about any speeds. The MB s550 is about 50% of the cost of my Model X and while the X is faster the S550 has quite a number of fantastic features one of which I thought I would have had or just received - I guess not :(

So I tried this Autonomous Driving and I have to say its still quite a jokel . At this point I would not have spent the money or maybe even bought the car had I known it was so restricted. Folks I can get in my MB s550 and it will drive the car in between the lines at just about any speeds. The MB s550 is about 50% of the cost of my Model X and while the X is faster the S550 has quite a number of fantastic features one of which I thought I would have had or just received - I guess not :(
If it's quite a joke, just sell it and be happy with your ICE car then.....

I don't know why it wouldn't be possible with 8 cameras?! There are flanking cameras which I have on my escalade and MB s550 and it has around view? Respectfully I'm not sure you understand?

@heffneil I don't think you understand that because of where the front facing cameras are the car has a visual blind spot of ~10 feet directly in front of itself. Most cars with a surround view feature have a camera mounted in the center of the front bumper so that they can see that area.

Haha, I had a 2015 S550, and I got rid of it because it was sooooo slow, sluggish and a boat to drive.

Also, I had AP1 until last week when I got my AP2 Xes. I can guarantee you that the S550 Driver Assistance features were nowhere near as good as AP1. Especially the continuous timed nags. I hated the S550 and jumped back into a P85D S at the time.

I'm looking forward to constant AP2 updates, to make it better and better. It will be worth it.

Well, I think your expectations are off - we dont have 'Autonomous Driving' - all we have is Driver Assists features, you are still the driver. But yeah, those features are not there yet. All we can do is wait but they seem to be regularly and steadily making progress.

I have a X5 and this is an excellent feature. I use it when I park in a tight space. I hope one day Tesla will have this feature
While we're wishing on a star, I'd like to see the Chevy Bolt rear view 'mirror' with a camera view rather than a reflection. It would be especially useful for you 7-seater folks out there. The combination of the second row and third row head rests forms a near perfect blockade of the rear window. I sure hope that Chevy feature isn't patented. I can hope.

Welcome to the club. So far the ONLY good feature of the Tesla is charging at home, which it does flawlessly. Everything else on the car is pretty much a gimmick. The AP is getting slowly better, but still not very useable as of the first 8.1 firmware.

Unless they have an ace up their sleeve I predict other car manufactures will surpass Tesla in 3-4 years when it comes to the EV drivetrain, luxury, fit & finish, and autopilot features. Being first to a segment is a powerful head start, but the advantage won't last forever when experienced car makers are at your heels.

Welcome to the club. So far the ONLY good feature of the Tesla is charging at home, which it does flawlessly. Everything else on the car is pretty much a gimmick. The AP is getting slowly better, but still not very useable as of the first 8.1 firmware.

Unless they have an ace up their sleeve I predict other car manufactures will surpass Tesla in 3-4 years when it comes to the EV drivetrain, luxury, fit & finish, and autopilot features. Being first to a segment is a powerful head start, but the advantage won't last forever when experienced car makers are at your heels.
It's pretty extreme to say that the only thing they've done right is the charging at home. I love my Tesla. It has many negatives, but the positive side of the ledger makes those negatives pretty insignificant.

But I do agree with you that all these niggling issues that are not technically challenging and could be easily resolved if they just had the volition to handle them, will start to hurt the company when they have real completion in even just a couple of years. Tesla has shown the auto makers what it takes to have a great electric car. And while the US companies still don't get it and are instead concentrating on political action to reduce efficiency requirements, the Germans DID get the memo. And they're fixing the leave the US makers in the dust. Hopefully that won't also happen to Tesla. Maybe Tesla can respond when they see the refinements that Mercedes, BMW and Audi bring to the table. They're taking electric cars seriously.

@Jrogville - Yes I am exaggerating. Perhaps I should say the only "perfected" feature is the EV drivetrain and battery. But then again it's not really perfected, the regenerative braking software sure could use some work. It's not linear < 10MPH and a bit annoying compared to other EVs that have figured this out.

You can match the range of a Tesla with a Chevy Bolt, but I'm sure that car would bore me to death to drive. The fit and finish of the Bolt is sadly better (especially when you look at seals, conduits, electrical connectors, etc.)

With the P100D I feel I'm at a very comparable in acceleration performance to the level to high-end gasoline cars I'm used to driving, certainly at >75% charge and "legal" speeds. When battery gets low the car gets sluggish, and of course at excessive speeds the car looses steam as expected. I'll give Tesla credit where it is due - nothing else in the EV world even comes close in this regard, but the Germans will be there in a couple of years, if not sooner.

Can I mention again how much I love not going to the gas station every 3-4 days though? Saves me 20 mins each week, which is precious!

With the P100D I feel I'm at a very comparable in acceleration performance to the level to high-end gasoline cars I'm used to driving, certainly at >75% charge and "legal" speeds.

upload_2017-3-31_1-16-53.png

What kind of high-end gasoline cars are you used to driving?! :D

Pretty sure this system is using a front camera. That image goes to an X5 description from 2015. Here's the X5M bersion in 2014:

BMW X5 M : Surround View

In the image you provided, you can see clear clues of it, too - the front of the car is subtly boxed off with flat gray corners on the front left/right - places the single front fisheye can't see, but a reconstruction from left/right cameras would see better than straight ahead.
I hear what you are saying and I know BMW has now added a front camera. My 2013 X5 definitely didn't have a front camera and had the "top view" feature but if I recall it had a blacked out section in the front (not like the image I posted). We are way off topic now. I guess if Tesla can figure out a way to make the current AP2 hardware suite create a top-view type image I would welcome it but I certainly don't count it among my top-five wants for features.

I hear what you are saying and I know BMW has now added a front camera. My 2013 X5 definitely didn't have a front camera and had the "top view" feature but if I recall it had a blacked out section in the front (not like the image I posted). We are way off topic now. I guess if Tesla can figure out a way to make the current AP2 hardware suite create a top-view type image I would welcome it but I certainly don't count it among my top-five wants for features.

Huh. I'd never seen a system like this, but you're entirely correct - a little more fishing with google and the model year/version (E70) led me to this:

BMW X5 : Camera systems

The car has five cameras (including two looking sideways in the front bumper?!?) and the typical under mirror and rear wide angles but no front fisheye- and no image in front of the car, just a black space.

Let me start by saying that I'm a huge Tesla fan, Model X owner and a shareholder. I believe in the company and honesty think that both current models are best in class.

Having said that, I respect the fact that other people may have a different opinion and perspective. Their definition of "class" when I say best in class may differ from mine and that's ok.

There are all kinds of people engaged in discussion. Those that dream of 1 day being able to afford a Model 3, those that are car nuts and gear heads that only care about speed and performance, the technofiles that appreciate the gadgetry and tech advances, those that just want to show off and impress others with their toys, people that mainly appreciate luxury and pampering, the list goes on.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with My car. I feel like I live in a sci-fi movie every time I get behind the wheel - it IS like driving the future - for me.

I've been singing the praises to this car, company and it's visionary CEO to anyone who would listen. Yet, the reality of the people being different and having different priorities manifests itself in that none of my friends and family who can afford one of these wonderful machines have placed an order for one reason or another.

Some are scared to give up the ICE and it's vast ubiquity of gas stations in favor of charging at home and the growing charging networks. Others don't consider it luxurious enough. So be it.

I will continue to enjoy my Model X and let them come around at their own pace.

I guess that it is a sign of the success of Tesla that people are complaining about all manors of issues with the gimmicks, while totally forgetting that the only thing that the car is really about is the EV drive-train.

It's like riding in a rocket and complaining that the seats weren't as comfy as those of an S-class despite the vehicle costing more than a 1000 times as much.

I guess that it is a sign of the success of Tesla that people are complaining about all manors of issues with the gimmicks, while totally forgetting that the only thing that the car is really about is the EV drive-train.

It's like riding in a rocket and complaining that the seats weren't as comfy as those of an S-class despite the vehicle costing more than a 1000 times as much.

You obviously skipped math class.

You obviously skipped math class.

His math seems reasonable to me - arguably conservative, actually. Here's a top level look at the cost of U.S. Rocket launches:

The Space Review: Costs of US piloted programs

In today's money, the cheapest manned rocket I saw was Mercury, at ~$265 million per launch. Most Mercedes S class cars are less than $265,000 I believe...

(Admittedly, the comparison is a bit of a stretch, but the point is valid and the math is correct for the comparison being made.)