Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Employees have started taking Model 3 reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like employees have started reserving their Model 3 as of this morning. Too bad there weren't any pictures or teasers shown :)

Tesla employees began reserving their Model 3s last night, sight unseen

So? I ordered my first Model S four YEARS before I got it. I ordered it sight unseen, because no one knew what it would look like, and much later, we got an alpha prototype that got substantially changed.

Everybody knows you can order and then change your mind. Sight unseen for orders, but not for buying. No big deal.

The article also says most of the 15,000 employees are likely reserving one, so being in line on the 31st starts at around customer # 15,001 ...Actually higher than that if you're a new customer since existing Tesla owners are getting priority as well. I wonder what, if any meaningful impact on delivery dates/federal tax rebates there will be for the masses, (Those first time folks getting only a lightly upgraded model)

Wow, 15000. didnt realize they were that big. Even if "only" 5,000 order thats going to cause a significant delay in the rollout to the gen pop. The employees obviously deserve it and I applaud Tesla for doing it, but lets be real... The rollout and initial ramp up to the 1000+ units/month time line will be SLOW and if they hit 200,000 in that time frame its going to eat WAY into anyone outside of the employees and high value configurations getting the tax rebate. if nearly all 15,000 order one, or even 10-12, that could be an entire years worth of cars honestly

I realized a week ago that after the few minor upgrades I wanted and tax/title/license fees that this car is out of my range even with the rebate. CPO model 3 here I come!

Wow, 15000. didnt realize they were that big. Even if "only" 5,000 order thats going to cause a significant delay in the rollout to the gen pop. The employees obviously deserve it and I applaud Tesla for doing it, but lets be real... The rollout and initial ramp up to the 1000+ units/month time line will be SLOW and if they hit 200,000 in that time frame its going to eat WAY into anyone outside of the employees and high value configurations getting the tax rebate. if nearly all 15,000 order one, or even 10-12, that could be an entire years worth of cars honestly

I realized a week ago that after the few minor upgrades I wanted and tax/title/license fees that this car is out of my range even with the rebate. CPO model 3 here I come!
I'm really hoping, in keeping with the whole "they've never done anything this BIG before," that the ramp will start much bigger, much faster than it has for the S/X - multiple lines, etc. So the wait for them to clear 15k 3s will be nothing like it was for their previous cars.

Reactions: Grendal
I'm really hoping, in keeping with the whole "they've never done anything this BIG before," that the ramp will start much bigger, much faster than it has for the S/X - multiple lines, etc. So the wait for them to clear 15k 3s will be nothing like it was for their previous cars.

Hope in one hand and you know what in the other... ;-)

Seriously though, they havent even gotten to full production on the X 6 months after the official "launch", and who knows if theyve even started constructing the model 3 production line. Unless they have some tricks up their sleeve, I just dont see them hitting significant numbers for the 3 in a short time frame. And unfortunately with the way to tax credit works, its all about time line after they hit 200,000

Hope in one hand and you know what in the other... ;-)

Seriously though, they havent even gotten to full production on the X 6 months after the official "launch", and who knows if theyve even started constructing the model 3 production line. Unless they have some tricks up their sleeve, I just dont see them hitting significant numbers for the 3 in a short time frame. And unfortunately with the way to tax credit works, its all about time line after they hit 200,000
I know, I know. Wishful thinking. ;)

But they have admitted the X was over the top and production problems were/are due to its complexity - and have said the 3 will be the first car they've made with ease of manufacturing in mind. We'll see if that means anything...

I know, I know. Wishful thinking. ;)

But they have admitted the X was over the top and production problems were/are due to its complexity - and have said the 3 will be the first car they've made with ease of manufacturing in mind. We'll see if that means anything...

I think the fact that there will be a working prototype at the event is huge. I didn't expect them to be that far along

The title of this posting is inaccurate. Employees have not started ORDERING cars. Employees have starting to place a RESERVATION for a Model 3. There is a big, big difference.

Not even owning a Tesla, I feel your pain in reiterating this point. As soon as I get my invite to configure it, that process will be complete within 60 seconds (hopefully). Then, all the employees and owners still deciding on what to get can wait behind me,

It won't be so hard, just have to check all the boxes and pray the color selector lands on silver!

We have leaned too after the purchase of the P90D. Of course you won't know before hand what options there will be and how much they will cost but the minute you get your email inviting you to the design center you have to be prepared to go through make your decision, make one final check and order. Any delay at all could put you weeks if not months behind other people.

I think the fact that there will be a working prototype at the event is huge. I didn't expect them to be that far along

It depends on how long you think they've been working on the design... I think Tesla started working on the Model 3 technology at least 3 years ago and the design was most likely finalized in mid 2015. That's plenty of time to build a few prototypes.

Reactions: youlikeadajuice
Spoke to my friend today who works at the Tesla Fremont Plant and everyone he knows has place a reservation and they have seen the units going to Hawthorne! He says they look amazing and that if he had someway that couldn't be detected to send me a photo he would! All he says is it looks amazing! Also he said they are in a SKIF mode right now and all employees must lock up cell phones before starting their shift.

My bad SCIF mode!

Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spoke to my friend today who works at the Tesla Fremont Plant and everyone he knows has place a reservation and they have seen the units going to Hawthorne! He says they look amazing and that if he had someway that couldn't be detected to send me a photo he would! All he says is it looks amazing! Also he said they are in a SKIF mode right now and all employees must lock up cell phones before starting their shift.

Reactions: trinites1a

Just wondering if numbers to Hawthorne were mentioned.