Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy has the worst Customer Service. Regret getting Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Tesla... After that conversation I'm fuming. After weeks of back and forth I finally (as of 7/14) got on the schedule to get my pre-PTO system on the schedule for a 7/27 repair. End of last week I recived a message that the repair was rescheduled to 7/24- soon after it was rescheduled for 8/24 (I thought it was a time change, didn't realize it was another month).

Scheduling says they had booked a tech, but they need to book a crew. They told me the system is low on coolant, which is the cause of the overheat issues I am having, and for that repair they need a crew. I don't know about you, but adding coolant doesn't sound like a 'whole crew' activity- and it doesn't sound like a 6 week lead time activity either...

So... I looked up billboards... seems like I can get one of those digital billboards every 4th minute for about $252/month. Something like big black letters:
Don't Buy Tesla Solar

Leave it up until they fix it... Make sure every 6 o'clock news gets word...

Think it will help?

Just got off the phone with Tesla... After that conversation I'm fuming. After weeks of back and forth I finally (as of 7/14) got on the schedule to get my pre-PTO system on the schedule for a 7/27 repair. End of last week I recived a message that the repair was rescheduled to 7/24- soon after it was rescheduled for 8/24 (I thought it was a time change, didn't realize it was another month).

Scheduling says they had booked a tech, but they need to book a crew. They told me the system is low on coolant, which is the cause of the overheat issues I am having, and for that repair they need a crew. I don't know about you, but adding coolant doesn't sound like a 'whole crew' activity- and it doesn't sound like a 6 week lead time activity either...

So... I looked up billboards... seems like I can get one of those digital billboards every 4th minute for about $252/month. Something like big black letters:
Don't Buy Tesla Solar

Think it will help?

Did you already pay or is payment pending PTO? You'll notice a theme on this forum where customers think buying an energy product is relatively painless; but they get hit with the slamboni because this green energy stuff is surprisingly painful to navigate. It's not always Tesla's fault (sometimes your power company makes it difficult), but Tesla is generally understaffed to really unblock issues quickly so the homeowner needs infinite patience to just keep pushing forward.

But, you gotta do what you gotta do to get your situation fixed to your liking. If you really feel that you have an issue that isn't solvable by waiting or taking through arbitration, I think you'll have better luck filing a complaint against their FL license for failure to perform and put the onus on Tesla instead of some public shaming tactic. Tesla's license number should be on the contract(s) you signed in FL. Find them, and tag them through the DBPR.

If you do go with the billboard route, please post pics. Here's a template to get you started. I think this billboard would basically describe every Tesla Solar rant post that comes across TMC...
1627327940893.png

Edit: disclosure. I didn't get solar or Powerwalls from Tesla, I went through Sunrun. I also am not long or short Tesla stock or derivatives since I don't own TSLA except for positions that may be in my 401k. I have a Model 3 and Cybertruck on order because the wife likes the Model 3, and the CT looks so cooooool. Also, I've been a fan of Franz Von Holzhausen since he did the Pontiac Solstice for GM. Like, Franz will have the most round car and most angled car in his portfolio once the CT ships. So cool.

Last edited:

Don't Buy Tesla Solar

Think it will help?
I doubt your tactic would get your system fixed any faster. I understand on a high level that coolant is not a simple change out, but I don't understand why. I suspect it takes a special machine to fill it. Could be it's permanently mounted in your local team's truck, or it's only on the truck of the overworked service crew.

I do suspect you'd perhaps feel better and have some fun. On that note I want to see pictures too!

If you all really care about this lack of service thing, I strongly suggest that you contact your local lawmaker/representative and voice your concerns that Tesla is unable to meet the demands of during-sales service and after-sales service and support for all their products (solar or autos or dogecoin memes). And state you believe the lack of functional staff as the reason.

Why? Customer service isn't a regulated function nor is Tesla a regulated company like PG&E. Complaining to BBB or your local TV reporter-on-your-side would be a better choice. Maybe the FTC if they promised something like service with xx days and weren't living up to that advertising claim.

At least there is a good likelihood that Tesla will be around in 20 years unlike a lot of local companies that have gone out of business and based on Nextdoor posts homeowners can't find anyone that will touch their system because they didn't install it.

Reactions: AlexVCo
Why? Customer service isn't a regulated function nor is Tesla a regulated company like PG&E. Complaining to BBB or your local TV reporter-on-your-side would be a better choice. Maybe the FTC if they promised something like service with xx days and weren't living up to that advertising claim.

At least there is a good likelihood that Tesla will be around in 20 years unlike a lot of local companies that have gone out of business and based on Nextdoor posts homeowners can't find anyone that will touch their system because they didn't install it.

A lot of state merchant laws were created because of a desire to decentralize the service component from the manufacturer and distribute it within the states. Not only would this create jobs (yay), it would also establish a better service network than one beholden to the manufacturer's whimsy.

This was poked fun of with the whole Maytag repairman ads depicting was some old coot just sitting there with nothing to do since Maytag was supposedly never breaking down. But still, Maytag had to have a bunch of idle workers and partners because of the state laws.

When Tesla came around, they argued that a local independently owned/operated shop couldn't have enough knowledge and skill to make repairs. So naturally Tesla had to be the only one. My argument is that if Tesla is not honoring their commitments as the only ones capable of providing great service, it may be time for lawmakers to revisit why Tesla was granted the ability to operate without a sales/service network. TBH, I don't get the perception that Tesla has enough presence to properly service all their vehicles compared to other major automakers. Like as much as the cool mobile ranger concept is, I don't get the sense any of my neighbors with Teslas like the experience of getting repairs or routine service.

Once I get my car (and remove this squirrel avatar), hopefully I will have a direct opinion.

A lot of state merchant laws were created because of a desire to decentralize the service component from the manufacturer and distribute it within the states. Not only would this create jobs (yay), it would also establish a better service network than one beholden to the manufacturer's whimsy.

This was poked fun of with the whole Maytag repairman ads depicting was some old coot just sitting there with nothing to do since Maytag was supposedly never breaking down. But still, Maytag had to have a bunch of idle workers and partners because of the state laws.

When Tesla came around, they argued that a local independently owned/operated shop couldn't have enough knowledge and skill to make repairs. So naturally Tesla had to be the only one. My argument is that if Tesla is not honoring their commitments as the only ones capable of providing great service, it may be time for lawmakers to revisit why Tesla was granted the ability to operate without a sales/service network. TBH, I don't get the perception that Tesla has enough presence to properly service all their vehicles compared to other major automakers. Like as much as the cool mobile ranger concept is, I don't get the sense any of my neighbors with Teslas like the experience of getting repairs or routine service.

Once I get my car (and remove this squirrel avatar), hopefully I will have a direct opinion.
Other than some states having automotive manufacturer/dealership laws, I don't know of any other similar situation for other merchants. Legislatures have generally sided with the manufactures on right-to-repair laws preventing independent repair shops from being able to be effective due to lobbying/campaign contributions by the manufactures.

Ideally the market should reward companies with good reliable products and services and eliminate companies with bad unreliable products and services. However, I think that the consumer's ability to sway the market has diminished greatly over the last two decades for very large companies that have the reserves to withstand bad press due to their failures. Companies that fail to uphold their marketing claims and warranties should be held accountable.

Other than some states having automotive manufacturer/dealership laws, I don't know of any other similar situation for other merchants. Legislatures have generally sided with the manufactures on right-to-repair laws preventing independent repair shops from being able to be effective due to lobbying/campaign contributions by the manufactures.

Ideally the market should reward companies with good reliable products and services and eliminate companies with bad unreliable products and services. However, I think that the consumer's ability to sway the market has diminished greatly over the last two decades for very large companies that have the reserves to withstand bad press due to their failures. Companies that fail to uphold their marketing claims and warranties should be held accountable.

I agree with you on the latter point, but on the first part... almost all major purchases you make (other than a smartphone) are run through state franchise laws and typically maintain a pretty healthy right to repair component. This is especially true for small business hardware... probably less so on consumer stuff since the margins are so thin.

For example, LG.com and Samsung.com are owned by their parent corporations in a legal sense, but the .com storefronts are technically independent entities from the main manufacturer. So Samsung.com or LG.com cannot get favorable treatment compared to say a Home Depot, Best Buy, or ABT. Most of the major contracts with the merchants have most favorable nation clauses that basically make it so that if Samsung.com somehow got certain incentives and pricing on goods, then this automatically gets passed to the other retailers.

You'll oftentimes see an Amazon, Costco, or Best Buy request a custom SKU that only gets sold at that particular retail channel... that way they don't have to worry about price matching and other shenanigans. It just gets to be a gigantic mess, but ultimately was intended to prevent a Samsung.com from undercutting the bejeezus out of their retail merchant partners and going DTC for all sales.

I agree in the long run, the free market will dissuade a Tesla from basically being worse than their competitors. So customers that want the better option will choose the better option and the money solves the problems. But right now, the lack of a dealer network is a distinct legislative competitive advantage for Tesla. And for the time being, Tesla is taking advantage of this competitive advantage to make more profit, while delivering some sub-par service.

Don't Buy Tesla Solar

Think it will help?

I am deeply saddened that @Crimson_Order did not do his billboard idea :(

• Funny
Status
Not open for further replies.