Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy has the worst Customer Service. Regret getting Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a drop in production yesterday at noon. A noticeable drop, even though there was no reason for it. I was busy so didnt do anything, but today my production was way down.

I called Tesla energy support at their regular phone number. I got someone on the phone within about 3 minutes. I explained the issue. They had me power cycle my equipment, which I had already did, but happily did again.

I noticed one of my inverters (ABB brand from solar city install) had a "Pout 0" on one line, where it normally has a POut XXX, POut XXX on two different lines (maybe two strings?).

Anyway, the phone support person created a case for me for a field visit, then offered to stay on the line and get the scheduling department on the line with us, rather than pushing me to the app to schedule it. Getting scheduling on the phone took him about 15 minutes, which I happily waited. He offered to call me back or email, but I said "I am working while I wait, I dont mind sitting on hold, but thanks for offering".

We got scheduling on the phone, and they made an appointment for me, for this friday (06/11, 4 days from when I am posting this), for a tech truck roll. The field tech will need to see what the next step is, if its inverter replacement or what.

Im only posting this, in this thread, because everyone likes to pile on when things go bad, but very rarely do people say "I am happy that they helped me".

Im not saying tesla doesnt make mistakes, far from it. I AM saying though, like any other business, sometimes its good, and sometimes its not.

Also, that solarreviews site has been covered here before, and I personally discount anything thats on there, myself for reasons that were already spelled out in another thread that newcomers wouldnt read unless they look for it. Tesla does have its issues, but they are not 100% bad for everyone, all the time, like is made out to be by many.

I had a drop in production yesterday at noon. A noticeable drop, even though there was no reason for it. I was busy so didnt do anything, but today my production was way down.

I called Tesla energy support at their regular phone number. I got someone on the phone within about 3 minutes. I explained the issue. They had me power cycle my equipment, which I had already did, but happily did again.

I noticed one of my inverters (ABB brand from solar city install) had a "Pout 0" on one line, where it normally has a POut XXX, POut XXX on two different lines (maybe two strings?).

Anyway, the phone support person created a case for me for a field visit, then offered to stay on the line and get the scheduling department on the line with us, rather than pushing me to the app to schedule it. Getting scheduling on the phone took him about 15 minutes, which I happily waited. He offered to call me back or email, but I said "I am working while I wait, I dont mind sitting on hold, but thanks for offering".

We got scheduling on the phone, and they made an appointment for me, for this friday (06/11, 4 days from when I am posting this), for a tech truck roll. The field tech will need to see what the next step is, if its inverter replacement or what.

Im only posting this, in this thread, because everyone likes to pile on when things go bad, but very rarely do people say "I am happy that they helped me".

Im not saying tesla doesnt make mistakes, far from it. I AM saying though, like any other business, sometimes its good, and sometimes its not.

Also, that solarreviews site has been covered here before, and I personally discount anything thats on there, myself for reasons that were already spelled out in another thread that newcomers wouldnt read unless they look for it. Tesla does have its issues, but they are not 100% bad for everyone, all the time, like is made out to be by many.
Tesla has internal and external communications issues as well as customer service issues at times but I've been lucky and never really got burnt like some people here, I also sometimes wonder if there are short sellers posting here. I mean I never really got real bad customer experience for my Model S as well as my solar roof and PWs. I'm sure some people do get very bad experience but just wondering.

Tesla has internal and external communications issues as well as customer service issues at times but I've been lucky and never really got burnt like some people here, I also sometimes wonder if there are short sellers posting here. I mean I never really got real bad customer experience for my Model S as well as my solar roof and PWs. I'm sure some people do get very bad experience but just wondering.

I am not a fan of throwing around the "short seller" stuff that people tend to throw out when people are negative about tesla. While they absolutely exist, and there may be posts by such people here, I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

The solar roof issue brought a LOT of new users to this little corner of TMC, which, frankly, was pretty civil previous to that. With that being said, I completely understand the outrage, but as someone who has had tesla products since I got solar city solar in 2015, and my model 3 in 2018, then powerwalls in early 2020, tesla has, so far, treated me pretty well.

I did have communication issues during install, and PTO took a while both times, but when I get people on the phone they usually care, even if they sound overworked.

Anyway, like I said, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and welcome (respectful) conversation that is both positive and negative, as long as its not trolling on either side.

Reactions: AlexVCo

I wonder if the service is better because of this.

Whose head rolled by???

I will say that every time I've needed to call for help or support post PTO no matter what it is I've been called back or was able to speak with someone on the phone. Especially with those Neurio problems and I really liked that. Did I get the most knowledge person on the phone each time, nope. However they were there when I called but have since just utilize the app for support needs and sure enough 3-4 days someone calls or sends me an email. Like I was saying here, I think they are trying.

I wonder if the service is better because of this.

Well, I dont know if that would have anything to do with my experience ( I doubt it, actually), but I would suspect that the solar roof fiasco, where tesla had to knowingly raise pricing so much because they obviously estimated poorly, has to fall in someones lap, and the "head of tesla energy" would be the lap that would fall in.

TL ; DR ... I think a lot of people expected someone to have to take the fall for the tesla solar roof pricing tools being so "off" and those contracts being approved at pricing they couldnt deliver, and this makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: AlexVCo and jhn_
Check history. New member with 2 posts/complaints. Hmm.
Hope I don't get lumped in with new accounts :eek:

Anyway, I think the process to communicate is the same as buying a pool. this stuff is second nature for the people doing it, and they easily forget the questions/challenges newcomers have and gloss over them as non-events. Which they typically are.

Where I have a problem is in the crappy way they tell you how to communicate. I have emailed all my project advisors, not one response. I called and when I can get into the queue, the individuals who answer are helpful, mostly, and will get you what you need.

Tell me to call and drop into the generic queue for answers/routing. But I have design questions that are valid, and should be addressed by an engineer. Even if it is "not possible" I would like a reasonably technical explanation that can dispute the information I am finding online (different inverters and different lagging settings will resolve the issues I have). But all I can get access to is a Project Advisor who will "escalate" my questions, yet I never receive a response.

Anyway, I think the process to communicate is the same as buying a pool. this stuff is second nature for the people doing it, and they easily forget the questions/challenges newcomers have and gloss over them as non-events. Which they typically are.

Where I have a problem is in the crappy way they tell you how to communicate. I have emailed all my project advisors, not one response. I called and when I can get into the queue, the individuals who answer are helpful, mostly, and will get you what you need.

Tell me to call and drop into the generic queue for answers/routing. But I have design questions that are valid, and should be addressed by an engineer. Even if it is "not possible" I would like a reasonably technical explanation that can dispute the information I am finding online (different inverters and different lagging settings will resolve the issues I have). But all I can get access to is a Project Advisor who will "escalate" my questions, yet I never receive a response.

There is a difference in what is pretty obviously troll content (and thus was removed) and people making valid complaints. I have no issues with people sharing valid complaints, but things that look like obvious trolling are different.

TL ; DR - all new accounts are not the same.

Many messages like yours in various forums give me the impression that Tesla Energy does not do well with questions or deviations from their cookie cutter solar packages and approach which sucks for people like you but the upside is that Tesla's price is usually significantly lower than others. You'll probably be less frustrated if you think of Tesla to be more like the Soup Nazi because apparently there is another guy waiting behind you in the line to take your spot if you don't like what you are getting.

I believe the current friction created over the past year due to the pandemic (supply/demand), and both the push and pull of solar over the past few years has resulted in more stress on Tesla’s centralized business model. Tesla’s centralized business model is just not very accommodative to local after-sales customer service.

Tesla both lowered prices of their solar panels and rolled out their solar roof right at the precipice of a growth period. In 2020 there was a 43% jump in solar energy production from the prior year. The integration of an extremely important part of a home with (sadly at this point) an amenity, coupled with the recent solar roof price increase, has consumed both time and energy. This has possibly diverted some attention away from customer service. Because of Tesla’s centralized business model is difficult to reach a decision maker and near impossible to talk to a local service representative. Problems can result due the normal barriers of communication, add the current stress and Tesla’s bifurcated sales, service, and scheduling model the affect the quality of Tesla’s customer service will not be positive.

There are many dependencies, both for the customer and between the customer and Tesla. When a customer’s expectation is reasonable and an adequate response should be expected and this does not occur, a breakdown in trust will result. At this point Tesla’s not very accommodative local after-sales customer service has not seemed to have dampened demand. I believe the level of demand will only exacerbate the inherent flaws Tesla’s customer service model. However, as alternatives come online Tesla will need to change their strategy.

Last edited:

Tesla focuses on cookie-cutter installations at low prices. If you want to discuss why you need more panels, different inverters or something else out of their "norm" expect delays and getting moved to the back of the queue. This is unfortunate, but their staff is small versus the number of orders they have to keep moving through, so it is a fact. IMHO, if you want to be more involved in the design process and see options to meet your specific needs and expect fast responses Tesla may not be the provider for you. Also, as you mentioned with pools, there is a point of diminishing return on trying to tweak solar configurations. One tree that grows to shade some panel can have an amazing impact on the yield. Probably far more than adding additional panels, optimizers, etc.

Last edited:
Yes customer service from these so called Advisors is non existent. Not sure who they're Advising. I'm on my third Advisor in nearly four weeks. I've called and emailed numerous times, zip, nothing. The other advisors are nice. My Powerwall placement request was ignored even after speaking to one, and three weeks later has to be re-designed which they say will take 2-3 weeks. I'm almost at four weeks and they have not submitted to my local utility or city. Extremely frustrating. I just installed a EV charger today and I dare tell them a few breakers got moved around and one added.

So, to close the loop on this, as mentioned above, I got an appointment scheduled 4 days after I called in to report an issue. There was 1 technician who arrived, who was friendly. he already had the inverter open when I went outside to greet him.

I explained the issue I noticed, and he was friendly and responsive. He said he would go on the roof and check. After about an hour, he came back and told me he got me back up and running. He found a connector that he believes was too taunt, and it had failed. He made a new connector / cable, and was able to return me to service.

He also said "i found a couple cracked roof tiles, so will be submitting a ticket for us to replace those, and also I think one of the modules on the roof should be replaced, so I am escalating that. That may take a bit, but you are back up and running, but I consider this more a bandaid fix but it should be good until they get you on the schedule for the module replacement and fix the tiles".

All in all, the TL ; DR version is, I reported an issue and was returned to service in 4 days, by a friendly, knowledgeable person. My experience on the phone was also very positive, with the person troubleshooting and escalating quickly and effectively.

And no, no where did I mention anything about TMC (like that would matter anyway). I did not get any special treatment that I would be aware of.

Let me add one more thing. I am not saying tesla doesnt have issues, they absolutely do. Like many of you, even in 2015 when I got my solar, it was painful, no communication, etc. PTO took like 3 months and I was mad at "WTF why is it taking so long?!?!?".

The solar roof thing is a total cluster#@!$ and they made a huge mistake there, in my opinion.

With that being said, whenever I have had someone from tesla in front of me physically, both on the car side and the energy side, they have been awesome. The phone support tends to be hit or miss, with most of the "miss" appearing to be from caseload overload, rather than an actual disinterest in helping someone.

Those are my personal experiences, anyway.

Last edited:
So, to close the loop on this, as mentioned above, I got an appointment scheduled 4 days after I called in to report an issue. There was 1 technician who arrived, who was friendly. he already had the inverter open when I went outside to greet him.

I explained the issue I noticed, and he was friendly and responsive. He said he would go on the roof and check. After about an hour, he came back and told me he got me back up and running. He found a connector that he believes was too taunt, and it had failed. He made a new connector / cable, and was able to return me to service.

He also said "i found a couple cracked roof tiles, so will be submitting a ticket for us to replace those, and also I think one of the modules on the roof should be replaced, so I am escalating that. That may take a bit, but you are back up and running, but I consider this more a bandaid fix but it should be good until they get you on the schedule for the module replacement and fix the tiles".

All in all, the TL ; DR version is, I reported an issue and was returned to service in 4 days, by a friendly, knowledgeable person. My experience on the phone was also very positive, with the person troubleshooting and escalating quickly and effectively.

And no, no where did I mention anything about TMC (like that would matter anyway). I did not get any special treatment that I would be aware of.

Let me add one more thing. I am not saying tesla doesnt have issues, they absolutely do. Like many of you, even in 2015 when I got my solar, it was painful, no communication, etc. PTO took like 3 months and I was mad at "WTF why is it taking so long?!?!?".

The solar roof thing is a total cluster#@!$ and they made a huge mistake there, in my opinion.

With that being said, whenever I have had someone from tesla in front of me physically, both on the car side and the energy side, they have been awesome. The phone support tends to be hit or miss, with most of the "miss" appearing to be from caseload overload, rather than an actual disinterest in helping someone.

Those are my personal experiences, anyway.

My experience was similar. Of course boards like this are going to draw posts from those concerned or angry about something.

But I wanted to add one thing. Tesla is also, on both cars and energy, attempting totally transparent pricing. Its revolutionary enough with respect to cars, but in the contracting business its crazy revolutionary.

The problem with total transparent pricing is that the internet giveth and the internet taketh away! Its great when everybody is happy, but when people are unhappy they can jump all over the company in minutes.

As far as I know every other solar company works like every other contractor - projects are bid after inspection. Sure, you get a personalized bid, but on all of the other hundreds of thousands of dollars I have spent on contractors, other than Tesla, I have no idea if I overpaid or not! Well, I have some idea, but that's only due to the amount of research I am personally willing to do.

Yes customer service from these so called Advisors is non existent. Not sure who they're Advising. I'm on my third Advisor in nearly four weeks. I've called and emailed numerous times, zip, nothing. The other advisors are nice. My Powerwall placement request was ignored even after speaking to one, and three weeks later has to be re-designed which they say will take 2-3 weeks. I'm almost at four weeks and they have not submitted to my local utility or city. Extremely frustrating. I just installed a EV charger today and I dare tell them a few breakers got moved around and one added.
I've been waiting for months for Tesla Energy to fix damage they did to my home, (of which one is a construction code violation). Representatives of Tesla Energy have been out to my home numerous times to investigate. Nothing happens. So I contacted the NJ Department of Community Affairs and eventually received a message from Tesla Energy Scheduling saying "we got some 'traction'" on this issue and to expect Tesla Energy Operations to be out to my home this morning. They never showed.

Tesla customer service is non-existent. Terrible experience from the start. I should of listen to my gut and NOT used them. I ordered the panels July 2020. They installed the equipment in December 2020. They installed the Powerwalls on the floor when I asked them to wall mount it. They didn't fix it. They just ignored my calls and emails. Finally had it online in March 2021. Now my inverter died 5 days ago. They sent a Tech to come and troubleshoot, and guess what? The inverter is dead and needs to be replaced. The kicker is that it will take 5-7 business days to get the equipment in and then they need to schedule another tech to install. So I will be out of Solar Generation for 3 weeks at a minimum while this is the season for the highest solar bills of the year here in AZ. We are already in the triple digits. I will be wasting around $300 this month on energy costs that I shouldn't be paying. And Tesla will not take ownership that it is their fault for installing defective equipment. Tesla is the WORST!! I'm more than PISSED. This is the worst experience with any company ever. After spending close to $40,000 and they treat you like an annoyance.
there service centers are just as bad if not worse I didn't buy from them thank God but what they do and how they treat you is like what planet do you come from? they are not human beings no Phone # for anyone in the entire company. Elon musk is the owner and net worth $160B I don't care how much he's worth the more the worse his employees are to his customers im going all the way to corporate and see what happens. I would hate to have the car get stuck fsd right into there corporate doors. then maybe they will listen to customers probably not. Elon musk idk you should spend just 5% of your spare change and get a PR depth cause if it wasn't for customers buying your $100000+ cars in the first place you wouldn't be where you are now.

Tesla as a company really needs to get their act together. As a repeating and loyal customer should not be treated with dishonesty. Already an owner of their cars and ordered their solar plus powerwall in November 2020 and requested them to add my own referral code couple of weeks later. Service advisor supposedly forwarded my request to the referral department. Reminded them about my referral a couple months later in March. After paying for my solar in June, I followed up with my referral and was denied stating the program had changed and must use the link at initial order. What was interesting was I took delivery of my model Y ( my second Tesla) in April and had no issue adding a referral after purchase of my vehicle. Now I'm out $400 and if it was communicated early on, could have cancelled and reordered my solar early on.

Just some of my personal experience and friends who have ordered Tesla that people should be aware of if you are looking into buying anything Tesla:
1) Lack of communication: from their cars to their solar system, just be aware of weeks to months without any communication. My friend ordered his solar in December and still haven't completed the job because his breaker needs to be updated. He waited months to get any communication from his advisor and was so fed up that they finally answered back when he requested the system to be removed. I personally had bad experiences with lack communication as well with their cars and solar system.

2) significant delays in service. My friend owns a model x and recently got into a minor accident and just stated how upset they are with the customer service. Taking 3+ months for a fix due to lack of parts and just lack of compassion to even customers paying for 100k vehicle. We both agreed that other automakers wouldn't have treated us this way.

I understand that Tesla has the best battery tech but if they don't step up their customer service and stop all this "bait and switch tactics" they will lose a lot of customers. Battery technology is quickly improving and the gap between Tesla and competition is narrowing. Now I'm at this juncture of whether to fully commit to the Cybertruck or purchase the Ford lightning as I have reservations for both.

If you all really care about this lack of service thing, I strongly suggest that you contact your local lawmaker/representative and voice your concerns that Tesla is unable to meet the demands of during-sales service and after-sales service and support for all their products (solar or autos or dogecoin memes). And state you believe the lack of functional staff as the reason.

Tesla is selling their products direct to consumer without a distributed/franchised network because Tesla has long argued that their energy products are too complicated for independently owned representatives to have the adequate training, knowledge, resources, and data to provide customer service. Therefore Tesla must be the only entity that the customer interacts with and Tesla owns the entire supply chain and service responsibility.

But we've seen time and time again that a quality reseller of Tesla energy products provides a better experience on the acquisition side of the funnel (such as H2ofun's experience or basically everyone that goes through Vines). And it appears to me that Tesla often just ghosts people with complicated issues to remedy on the after-sales side because Tesla doesn't have the bandwidth or personnel resources to deal with complex service issues. Tesla definitely has the capital resources to address this, just not the human resource.

On the automotive side, it feels like they're frequently back-logged and service often takes the better part of a month to remedy. Maybe some people are getting great service, but others are put on what feels like week-long holds due to limited parts (edit even for non-chip parts like windshields, suspension components, and interior trim). Naturally if Tesla actually had a dealer network with SLAs to adhere to, then the investment is going to happen to ensure a quality service experience. But instead right now Tesla has an SLA with the buyer to "provide service"... but this is so nebulous and poorly structured that Tesla can string out customers and otherwise abuse the DTC relationship.

Lawmakers don't want to get in the way of green energy investment, but they also don't like their constituents getting hit with poor service because some mega-corp someplace wants to save a few bucks by limiting access to service centers.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexVCo and vickh
Status
Not open for further replies.