Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know the current bill will cover deliveries after 12/31/21.

We know some previous versions said the later of 1/1/22 or when the bill is signed.

We know the majority of the dissenting voices directed at the EV portion don't impact Tesla. (No $4500 union kicker).

We know there is concern about the cost, which could drive cuts anywhere.

IMO, this bill is a disaster that I hope completely fails. I'm waiting until January just in case it passes, but I'd gladly lose the $8k to see this whole mess go away.
Something something perfect being the enemy of good enough. The previous guy and his party give away $1.5t to their wealthy donors and corporations, but blocks legislation that would invest in infrastructure and create jobs that would benefit the bulk of Americans. Makes perfect sense.

The President has stated that your taxes will only go up if you make over $400k. And multiple economists have stated it will not increase inflation.

Must be a lot of rich people on the boards this evening.
Both parties have talked for years about "shovel ready" infrastructure spending. The only reason this bill is controversial is due to partisan politics, which by the transitive power of logic would be the only cause to characterize this as a "disaster".

(please thumbs down this comment so I can help train my "ignore" ML model)

You take your baubles, I’ll be looking for a spot on the lifeboats.
Don't waste your time looking for lifeboats. Those were already pillaged and given away for free to all the other owners of Titanic-class luxury liners 4 years ago in the off chance they ever fall on hard times 😉.

In the interest of keeping this on-topic, might I suggest people stop trying to turn this thread into their political soapbox. If you like this Bill and legislation great and if you don't, great. No one here cares either ways. I'm sure you can find enough people on Facebook and Twitter who do if you want to go down that path.

Reports this morning are that there is growing consensus amongst Democratic leadership the bill will not be touched until 2022. With debt ceiling discussions, the Parliamentarian timeline, and desire to wait for more inflation reports and further CBO data there is almost 0 chance the bill will be discussed before winter recess.

Reports this morning are that there is growing consensus amongst Democratic leadership the bill will not be touched until 2022. With debt ceiling discussions, the Parliamentarian timeline, and desire to wait for more inflation reports and further CBO data there is almost 0 chance the bill will be discussed before winter recess.
What happens if it pushes into 2022, will it still apply to card acquired after Dec 31st 2021 or does that language change to reflect passage after?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
What happens if it pushes into 2022, will it still apply to card acquired after Dec 31st 2021 or does that language change to reflect passage after?
The current House language, subject to change, states Jan 1, 2022 or the date the bill passes whichever is later. Which means unless the language changes and the bill passes on Feb 1, only cars acquired Feb 1 or later would qualify.

My gut says that gets fixed. It was a provision to make sure December cars didn’t qualify. Now that isn’t a concern so they will likely make it Jan 1… but it does have to change from current language.

The language in the bill specifically says the later date of 12/31/21 or the bill being signed.
Sorry but no. The House bill does not say this. It says the credit applies to all EVs “acquired after December 31, 2021.” There is no “whichever is later” for the credit. I see no reason this part would change.

Sorry but no. The House bill does not say this. It says the credit applies to all EVs “acquired after December 31, 2021.” There is no “whichever is later” for the credit. I see no reason this part would change.
Yes, I think you are correct. I just looked at the bill. It doesn't have the language that says the later of the dates. We should be good as long as they don't amend it.

Bill Text
"
``Sec. 45Y. Qualified commercial electric vehicle credit.''.
(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall
apply to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021."