Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fails Again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the second horn idea.

Same thing happened to me in my truck, an F250 diesel that's so loud I cannot order at a drive through. Girl walking her dog had ear buds in while staring at her phone and did not hear me backing out of my driveway. Good thing there was good visibility. She was very startled when she saw 3 tons of truck waiting 3 ft from her.

Here's what I'm putting together (below). It's fully programmable (but no programming skill needed), just drag and drop audio files to the device via USB):

I've already ordered the parts to build a pre-production unit for testing, and if that goes well, I'll package it all up into a neat little package for simple installation into a Tesla. Pretty much any short soundbyte can be added (up to four sounds/channels).

Other options by request:

That is awesome. Literally, ROFLOL. You are the best. Count me in.

Here's what I'm putting together (below). It's fully programmable (but no programming skill needed), just drag and drop audio files to the device via USB):

I've already ordered the parts to build a pre-production unit for testing, and if that goes well, I'll package it all up into a neat little package for simple installation into a Tesla. Pretty much any short soundbyte can be added (up to four sounds/channels).

Other options by request:

We need a kit voice from knightrider

Reactions: GatorGuy
Now if @HankLloydRight can get an audio of Gilbert Gottfried saying (screaming?) "Get out of the way! Can't you see I'm driving here?" especially seeing the the segment of him on Jay Leno's Garage I'd consider a purchase. :)

I want JAWS music. Take advantage of the ultrasonic sensors and cameras, and tie the beat timing to how close to running something/someone over I am....

With the way some people pay attention, I think I need an air horn to make them think a goal was just scored at a hockey game!

My gen 1 Volt had a pedestrian horn that worked well for that and for getting geese to move.

I had the sweetest little Havanese dog who loved everything except Geese. he loved going to work with me in my Volt and we snuck up on them all the time. He just loved chasing them around the parking lot, never wanted to catch them but just chase them away. Twice when he was little he jumped out the window after them, the second time he learned not to jump out the window of a slow moving car.

Once we had a traffic jamb caused by geese, no problem opened the door and the geese were gone. LMFAO, and everybody else in all the other cars stopped there. he just ran back and jumped into the car.

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp

This is so great - would love to get one if you plan to sell to Canucks too. :) I suspect my kids will have numerous sound effect requests, so it's wonderful that it'll be customizable.

Ok, I've got the prototype built and installed.

Here are three quick videos. Sorry, it's the same four sound clips you've already heard.

All of the sounds below are from a $13 USB/5v speaker from ebay:
upload_2018-4-13_18-51-55.png

The speaker is mounted under the left trim panel next to the frunk. I have a couple of other speakers on order to see if any others are better.

The first video is from inside the car, plus a little surprise at the end.

This video is from outside the car. All the clips sound great outside, except the 'B' toot-toot sound -- but I think I can increase the db in Audacity to make it louder, since fidelity doesn't really matter.

This final video is the toot-toot and R2D2 sounds from about 20 feet away.. it's a little softer, but still audible. Especially when I increase the gain on the toot-toot clip.

Quick survey -- I can do a 4-clip version or an 8-clip version (8-clip version would have an 8-button remote).

How many people would want the 8-clip version? Realize you can load up any 4 or 8 clips you want to each button. I'll be designing the PC board tomorrow.

I agree, four buttons is plenty since we can update the sounds. I'm not sure who is going to love this more - the kids or me. Whenever we finally get a Tesla to connect it to, that is! ;)

Development is coming along nicely. I've got all the parts sourced and the PC board designed. Just waiting to create a final layout prototype with the box and cables, etc, then it's off to manufacturing. I'd guess about 4 to 6 weeks until it's ready.

I put the prototype in my car, and my wife has having more fun with it than I was!

• Love
Reactions: Kira