Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again - the level of crying about updates is ludicrous.

It’s not like you hate the current version of AOL Instant Messenger so you just go to old versions and download one that still runs on Windows Millennial Edition.

We are dealing with a multi ton vehicle that in worst case scenarios can inflict serious damage to persons and property.

Release notes aren’t going to say:

Fixed corner case where EAP thinks the Pacific Ocean is a divided highway.

Keep your stuff updated.

Tesla can't just change the warranty terms whenever they feel like it though. That term was not in the warrany when I purchased my vehicle:

Voided Warranty
You are responsible for the proper operation of the vehicle and for receiving and maintaining
detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, including the 17-digit Vehicle
Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, date of service or
maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should be transferred to
each subsequent purchaser. You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow
the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle
provided in your Model S owner documentation, including, but not limited to:
• Complying with any recall advisories;
• Carrying passengers and cargo within specified load limits; and
• Making all repairs.

I noticed that the newest owner's manual also includes similar verbiage about the requirement to install software updates to keep warranty coverage. The owner's manual that I received when I purchased my car had no such language. Again, Tesla can't just change things like that willy-nilly.

+1000

change is hard. you will get used to it...

the sooner you realize that Tesla has sold you a cell phone with wheels, the quicker you will understand the landscape you now find yourself as a Tesla owner. Tesla is a Silicon Valley company, built from the ground up by people who cut their teeth during the internet boom of the late 90s-early 2000s. is it really that shocking to you that they are treating your car like a cell phone on wheels?

and to your point about having the car behave differently than we desire.. you know.. I desire to drive my car down the street at 125 miles per hour at all times. I'm an excellent driver with hundreds of hours of track time under my belt.. and I always drive FAST.

but I do my best to adhere to reasonable speed limits.. even tho that's not my desire. the car is capable of 125 miles per hour.. why shouldn't I be allowed to drive it so?

you want a set it and forget it UI? go buy a Volvo. tho I suspect in 15 years other makers will be making on the fly UI changes to their cars just like Tesla is.

@HankLloydRight welcome to the V9 club... nice to have you back in the fold.

Yeah, how could we have NOT known that a car company building $80,00 to $160,000 cars [cars that will be around for decades], would be stupid enough to treat our cars like a cheap cell phone. You can shove the V9 club. Note to Tesla, pissing your customers off is not a great business strategy. Here is to hoping they don't downgrade me to V9.

Last edited:
We are dealing with a multi ton vehicle that in worst case scenarios can inflict serious damage to persons and property.

Yes, a vehicle which worked perfectly fine in FW versions 8.1, 8.0, 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, 6.1, and so on.

In fact, changing the UI as they did in V9 can be argued that it's significantly less safe than all previous versions. Never before has the UI required so much attention diverted from the road to the screen.

Yes, a vehicle which worked perfectly fine in FW versions 8.1, 8.0, 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, 6.1, and so on.

In fact, changing the UI as they did in V9 can be argued that it's significantly less safe than all previous versions. Never before has the UI required so much attention diverted from the road to the screen.

Yes I understand it's fine for you but Tesla isn't going to cater to like a fraction of the population that wants to stay 3 major revisions back on software.

You keep saying AP1 cars are "fine". Issue is AP1 and even AP2 cars are a fraction of HW2.5/HW3.0.

SOME may think FW 9 is a downgrade but Tesla disagrees when you look at the totality of the entire package. They don't want to deal with old stuff in the fleet and if they feel FW 9 is going to be safer for the many, they won't care about the few.

People can disagree with me all they want but I'm just laying it out how it is.

Unless you just don't want to get a new Tesla ever, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you are going to get a new UI.

Do I NEED all of Tesla's AP nag? No I don't but I'll pay the price if it keeps 20 more headlines out of the news so the company doesn't die.

Yes I understand it's fine for you but Tesla isn't going to cater to like a fraction of the population that wants to stay 3 major revisions back on software.

You keep saying AP1 cars are "fine". Issue is AP1 and even AP2 cars are a fraction of HW2.5/HW3.0.

SOME may think FW 9 is a downgrade but Tesla disagrees when you look at the totality of the entire package. They don't want to deal with old stuff in the fleet and if they feel FW 9 is going to be safer for the many, they won't care about the few.

Unless you just don't want to get a new Tesla ever, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you are going to get a new UI.
No one cares it's a new UI. We care that it sucks.

Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.

Keep in mind that I got home with 11% charge and forgot to plug-in. And my car has not connected to Wi-fi in over a year.

Now I'm not going to go into all "entitled" mode and say I'm going to sue Tesla or start a class-action lawsuit or assault the local service center to roll it back. Because (a) I'm not that kind of person, and (2), I know it's pointless.

I'm just stinking mad that I now have to suffer with the utter bullcrap software that is V9.

The only upside is that now I don't have to be afraid to go in for service. My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself. Oh yeah, and Teslatari. Woot. :mad:

View attachment 413421
View attachment 413427

View attachment 413429
Has everyone received this update? I haven't gotten any update option and am still stuck with v9.0 2019.12.1.1. Would love to have launch control back which I understand this will once again allow.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Do I NEED all of Tesla's AP nag? No I don't but I'll pay the price if it keeps 20 more headlines out of the news so the company doesn't die.

It's the bad v9 design people are upset about.

3 major revisions? I was on 8.1. The next major revision is 9.0. That's one major revision. I don't know how many people, if any, are 3 major revisions back. But the gist of this conversation is how broken the user interface is between 8.1 and 9.0, and not any older version.

And this matters why? Nothing I and the others are complaining about has anything to do with Autopilot. It's all about the broken main UI. All of it.

SOME may think FW 9 is a downgrade but Tesla disagrees when you look at the totality of the entire package.

Well, of course they're not going to think a new software release is going to be a downgrade. Not sure what that adds here.

They don't want to deal with old stuff in the fleet and if they feel FW 9 is going to be safer for the many, they won't care about the few.

There's more than a few people complaining about the V9 UI. And it's fallen on deaf ears. All Tesla needs to do is publish a white paper on why they did what they did, and why it's better, and how it's safer, and the research, data, and UI/UX testing to back it up. But they don't have any of that.. it's like talking to a black box, and we just have to swallow whatever is handed down without complaint in the name of 'progress'. Sorry, not going to happen.

What I really hate (and this is just spending 2 minutes in the car today) is that to change the map view from Trip,NorthUp, DirectionUp, that button is the furthest away from the driver, it's quite a reach to hit it. When it was on the bottom half of the screen, it was much easier to tap. I'm still convinced that the software developers have never actually used the software in a real car.
It's probably not much consolation (and only a few inches closer) but you can also double-tap on the top of the navigation directions to toggle between map views.

3 major revisions? I was on 8.1. The next major revision is 9.0. That's one major revision. I don't know how many people, if any, are 3 major revisions back. But the gist of this conversation is how broken the user interface is between 8.1 and 9.0, and not any older version.

And this matters why? Nothing I and the others are complaining about has anything to do with Autopilot. It's all about the broken main UI. All of it.

Well, of course they're not going to think a new software release is going to be a downgrade. Not sure what that adds here.

There's more than a few people complaining about the V9 UI. And it's fallen on deaf ears. All Tesla needs to do is publish a white paper on why they did what they did, and why it's better, and how it's safer, and the research, data, and UI/UX testing to back it up. But they don't have any of that.. it's like talking to a black box, and we just have to swallow whatever is handed down without complaint in the name of 'progress'. Sorry, not going to happen.

.....or most people don’t care or actually like it. I like it. I find it visually useful and easy to use. To me, people are bitching about rounded vs squared icons which is the least important part of the updates. Even with growing pains, v9nis way more competent than 8. Don’t like it? I totally get it. Sell your car.

.....or most people don’t care or actually like it. I like it. I find it visually useful and easy to use. To me, people are bitching about rounded vs squared icons which is the least important part of the updates. Even with growing pains, v9nis way more competent than 8. Don’t like it? I totally get it. Sell your car.

May I ask how long have you owned your Tesla?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
If Tesla pushed V6, everyone would be high fiving each other. Icons with depth, an interface that remained static. Muscle memory just worked. No double taps to bring up what never should have been hidden. Full screen browser. No maps if you didn’t need them. It kinda just worked.

Then some new kids showed up and said let’s copy both Apple and Microsoft simultaneously. So we got the progression to this mess. Yuck.

Oh, and a vertical screen makes more sense in a car, as do heads up display. The model 3’s interface is a joke. Why do I have ⅓ of my screen wasted 100% of the time. At least let me throw that ⅓ to the right side. Maybe put that info in the top 1/10 of the screen instead, maybe have MPH right in the middle at 10% transparency, but becoming more opaque over a speed that the driver sets. Heck maybe it’s invisible unless you’re at a value over or under the limit you set. At 10% - 20% opacity it could be 2” - 3” high and easy to see, but you could reach through it to do whatever you need..

Again, anything is better than the current mess.