Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is going to do that unless you were Elon Musk or some specialty VIP flagged car.

I'm pretty sure this is how it went down:

VP of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Senior Director of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Director of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Senior Manager of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Manager of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Deployment Engineer: Yeah all but this one guy.
Manager of Software: Really? Just that guy? F that guy. Push the update. You may fire when ready.
Deployment Engineer: Sir. Yes sir.

VP Of Software to Musk: yes - 100% of cars are now V9.
Lies, lies I tell you. I think the deployment engineer needs fired - I'm still on V8. :D

I don't let Tesla update any cars anymore, except the Model 3s... which I just haven't taken the time to bother with as of yet.

My primary S is still running 8.0 BETA... yeah, that's build date: Tue Sep 13 19:01:51 PDT 2016

As far as I'm concerned, there has been no net improvement since that point from a user perspective to pre-AP2 vehicles. There have been some improvements to maps (which is probably what will get me to update eventually)... and that's pretty much it, IMO. The UI has been downhill since then for sure. The improved browser, AFAIK, isn't available on MCU1. AP1 has not been updated at all since that time (except for changes to the CPU side code to tighten hands-on-wheel stuff, no changes to the NN so no actual improvements).

Tesla can and does force updates, and they do it in a way that looks the same in the logs as if you scheduled it yourself. I've seen it done to at least a half-dozen cars. Not really sure the reasoning, but they definitely do it. The can also force it from garage easily, which is how they do it on Tesla-owned cars to auto update them, but I've not seen that method used on a customer car.

It's annoying, overall. I don't consider Atari games, farts, etc to be improvements to the car at all. Loss of dual windows is a huge loss of a good feature from v8 to v9. Overall, I don't really like v9. Honestly, I prefer the v7.x UI where nearly everything important is one-touch away. Now in v9 everything is stashed behind a bunch more touches and delays (waiting for menus to popup and such).

I think eventually, especially with pre-AP2 cars, we're going to need to just start an OSS project to replace the Tesla UI.

No different but a lot less hassle than other automakers issuing a safety related recall and the DMV not allowing you to renew until you prove its complete. This has happened to me a couple times, once for only a software update.

That's fine. If they want to forcibly apply an update for a safety reason then they should be required to file a recall notice with the DMV. Without doing that step, no forced update should be allowed ever.

I'm still running Windows XP and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) because the thought of a UI change is far scarier than the threats behind the scenes.

In all seriousness though, since 2019.16.2 they seemed to have fixed the browser at least. I still miss the green lines for traffic, and the ability to have certain HVAC features on auto instead of all or nothing. v9 isn't gonna kill your car.

This is a humorous contrast to the Model 3 forum.

Wait.. why are you 2019.16.3. I'm 2019.16.2.! But.. I'm only 2019.12.1.2

I put in a service appointment and it's been 4 hours since I did, and no update still..

I have an early VIN.. why did my brother get an update sooner?

Musk Blog promised quicker updates. I'm supposed to have enrollment in EAP since I bought FSD before the drop!!!

I put in a service appointment and it's been 4 hours since I did, and no update still..

Musk Blog promised quicker updates. I'm supposed to have enrollment in EAP since I bought FSD before the drop!!!
That's how it was back in the early days too, back when the S UI was getting better not worse. I remember being skeptical of a touchscreen only UI but then reading reviews talking about how wonderfully responsive it was.

Sadly, its utter crap now, I'd gladly give up all the idiotic easter eggs to go back to the V7 UI.

We can only hope. But then again, you would think that would have thought of this the *first* time through.

Well, the whole article shows how agonizing the v.9 UI is. Nothing we, as the daily users of this dreadful UI, did not already know about, but she is an expert in the UI usability and finds some aspects of the v.9 UI design "at best dubious". It's a great read.

Hahah. Yes! I am ready and waiting for my promised EAP invitation as well! Reporting in and prepared! ... where is it though? :confused:

Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.
You know there are people that can downgrade you back to the version you like, right? That is - if you feel really-really strong about this whole thing.

You know there are people that can downgrade you back to the version you like, right? That is - if you feel really-really strong about this whole thing.

I do feel strongly and yes I know people can downgrade me if I want. But I think I'll just go along with the flow for now. I mean, I have to try fart mode on my wife at least once.

@HankLloydRight Have you, or are you going to, contact Tesla to try to find out why this happened? (Since it seems other people are still on V8, so it wasn't a fleet wide force to V9.)

No, I have better ways to spend my time. I've dealt with Tesla enough to know that I'd never get a straight answer, and that's assuming I'd even get to people that have any clue what I'm talking about (which itself is unlikely).

I'm still running Windows XP

Ha! I ran Windows2000 (which I consider to be the best iteration of Windows NT) for the LONGEST time before being forced to upgrade to XP (I forget why-unsupported hardware upgrade?). Win2000 was just so rock-solid awesome. Then I ran XP on a Dell desktop up until about 5 years ago when I upgraded to a new desktop with Windows7, which I'm still running... until next week when my new HP Z2 Mini G4 (Pro) gets here with Win10Pro. But that's fine, as I've been running Win10 in an AWS EC2 and in Parallels on a Macbook, so it's not as big of a jump as say, Win2000 to XP.

I do feel strongly and yes I know people can downgrade me if I want. But I think I'll just go along with the flow for now. I mean, I have to try fart mode on my wife at least once.
I uber in my S, and when you get some drunks it's great to do fart mode, they look all grossed out and start rolling down windows!

I would be very angry if Tesla forced an update upon me. I was forced to v9 after MCU's failed.

I also think v9 is absolute rubbish and they trashed the S/X UI in favor of Cousin Oliv3r.

However, something to keep in mind... not updating could theoretically void your warranty.

Tesla New Vehicle Warranty; Page 8

Voided Warranty

You are responsible for the proper operation of the vehicle and for receiving and maintaining detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, including the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, date of service or maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should be transferred to each subsequent purchaser. You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:
  • Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available;
  • Complying with any recall advisories;
  • Carrying passengers and cargo within specified load limits; and
  • Making all repairs.