Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this mean? What’s the legacy vpn vs the non-legacy vpn?

Cars with older versions, like V8, use OpenVPN to connect to Tesla's servers. Newer versions of the firmware use a different form of secure connection to connect to Tesla's servers. At some point they will want to turn off their OpenVPN servers, meaning that any car on the older firmware versions would no longer be able to connect to Tesla. That would mean no remote diagnostics, no firmware updates, no control of the car via API be that with the Tesla app, TeslaFi, etc. (I can't recall what the new method is, and I can't find it with a quick search.)

So then to get on a supported version you would have to go to a Service Center and have them update the car via the diagnostic port.

(At least that is my understanding of the situation.)

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Question to those who got the update forced upon them:
Was the update already downloaded to the car (yellow clock icon) and ready for installation?
Or was the update downloaded (notification on APP) and then installed right away (meaning you had no yellow clock icon when you left the car and when you returned the new version was already installed)?
Do you have your cars connected to WiFi? What modem is installed in your MCU (3G or LTE)?

I was wondering if 3G vs. LTE makes a difference in terms of receiving updates. Up until this summer I had my car connected to my WiFi network. During spring I was bombarded with new update notifications. At times there were 4 or 5 new updates a week and a few days even saw 2 updates on a single day.
Once I disconnected from the Wifi network, after a couple of days the update icon (and persistent update planner) vanished and did not return until I had a Service Center visit (where the car was connected to the SeC network). A day later the update icon was gone again and has not returned since.

My MCU0 is only equipped with the 3G modem. Maybe Mothership has stopped pushing updates over cellular to cars with 3G?

Was the update already downloaded to the car (yellow clock icon) and ready for installation?
Or was the update downloaded (notification on APP) and then installed right away (meaning you had no yellow clock icon when you left the car and when you returned the new version was already installed)?
Do you have your cars connected to WiFi? What modem is installed in your MCU (3G or LTE)?

I had no indication (yellow click icon) that there was an update ready to install. The screen was blank and there was no notice on the app. When I returned to the car the next day, the touchscreen had a notice that the car had been updated (the “what’s new” screen). I have not been connected (and still am not connected to WiFi) for about 3 years now. In fact, I was traveling and about 1200 miles from my home address when the update was forced on the car.

• Informative
Reactions: migselv
I'm not sure about the yellow clock icon just before the assault. I was not taking any special precautions to prevent it. I'm glad it's over with, even though they broke my browser and split screen UI. There was some small gain that came with the substantial loss. I can now lock it down in Chill mode when my 16 year old asks to borrow it. I now get the latest safety improvements and AP2 improvements. The new AP graphics are really cool. Being able to satisfy the nag with a scroll wheel or turn signal is nice. Spotify(maybe). PIN to drive (will probably use for certain occasions). Being able to send destinations to the nav. The video games might be useful, but you a can't use a controller with our classic Tesla's, so pretty much useless. That's all I can think of for now.

The video games might be useful, but you a can't use a controller with our classic Tesla's, so pretty much useless.
You can. It's another case of Tesla being lazy or maybe using faked limitations to push new car sales, but we had USB mouse support until a few years ago when they took it away so we already know that input devices are supported by the hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
You can. It's another case of Tesla being lazy or maybe using faked limitations to push new car sales, but we had USB mouse support until a few years ago when they took it away so we already know that input devices are supported by the hardware.
I had the same thought. I plugged a mouse in to try it out a couple of years ago. It worked, but ultimately was easier to control the touchscreen by touching it. I bought a game controller thinking it would work for the video games, because the mouse worked. Can't believe they took input device functionality away from us. Those bastards. I'm starting to think Elon deserved all those noogies he got growing up.

I had been closing the update scheduler for more than an year, the yellow icon had been there for months.

It was a couple of days since I had driven the Model S, the door handles didn't present and I had a blank release notes screen on the touch screen. V10 was installed on my MCU1 2015 unattended.

Wifi was available to the car, it has the 3G modem.

I didn't notice if the clock was there or not. I just kept xing out of the update sometimes 5 times a day, then one morning the new downware was just there. No, you've been screwed note, or anything, just up and running. I have not been on wifi since I heard about V9.

I'll try to summarize some of the forced update cases. We already have some cases where updates were forced on cars that already had the update downloaded and ready to install, but with others a download over LTE and automatic install was triggered. The question is if this could also happen for cars with 3G only, not connected to Wifi (so far no cases are reported).

MemberConnected to Wifi?ModemUpdate already downloaded?
HankLloydRightNoLTENo
swegmanNoLTENo
Electroman?LTEUnsure
Cars_cars_carsYes3GYes
mvotbNo?Yes

Got an interesting message on my MCU when I was about to leave home today.
I have never seen this before, I guess Tesla really wants me to update. Am still on v8.1 without Wifi connection since July and having “only” a 3G modem.
9DBCCF6F-111D-4A00-BF39-416F16409E5B.jpeg

Got an interesting message on my MCU when I was about to leave home today.
I have never seen this before, I guess Tesla really wants me to update. Am still on v8.1 without Wifi connection since July and having “only” a 3G modem.
On the same configuration as you (v8.1, 3G, no Wi-Fi), and also received that notification this morning. Obviously, our network status icon isn't labeled "LTE", so it's probably a generic message for all cars that aren't on Wi-Fi. I'd imagine this is the new standard way to notify of software update availability, rather than pushing the whole update down over 3G or LTE first and then telling us it's available. Cellular data is way more expensive than Wi-Fi, so this approach doesn't seem unreasonable.

*rolls eyes*
buys most technological car on the planet and afraid of software updates.
Tesla's software updates have a well-documented history of breaking functionality and taking away features, while adding dubious distractions like fart apps. Owners who have personally experienced this over the past 5-6 years now tend to be more cautious about updating.

To give you one example: a software update basically eliminated the low-end bass response in the premium audio system, and it was at least a month before it was corrected in another update. When this sort of thing happened once or twice, we cut them slack and just waited for it to be fixed. When it happens consistently over a period of years, the slack runs out.

Reactions: Knightowl