Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm serious, something like that was the reason. Hard corners mean they have to flatten more area

Musk Sees Teslaâ€[emoji769]s Future in Diamond-Shaped ‘Gigafactoryâ€[emoji769] - Bloomberg Business

Agree. Just like stars and planets all end up like spheres since this gives the lowest surface per volume when thinking in 2D digging out a circle gives you the most area for masses dug. Obviously for practical reasons they wouldn't build a circular factory but just rounding the corners like this does save a lot of digging in the 4 corners for very little building area/volume lost.

Now that we have a good satellite image, I thought I would throw together a photoshoped image of what I believe to be the final layout of the building. We know that the final building will have a 5,800,000 sq ft footprint, and we know that it will be built in 7 blocks, each with an average of an 828,571 sq ft footprint and that the basic structure of the first block is already completed. Given that there are 4 sections per block, there should be a total of 28 sections once completed. Based on that information, here is a very rough representation of the final building (current structure "block 1" outlined in red):

View attachment 91753

Your render lines up pretty much exactly with the map I've been working on. (updated using newest imagery)

Gigafactory Map.jpg

I was hoping for 20 foot high letters up on the roof. And hundred foot letters painted on top, visible from space. I mean, after all! They won't let you get close enough to see little inset 5 foot letters.
They can do both, WTH, with letters on the roof scaled to be picked up by satellites and letters on the red fascia that spell out:
T E S L A G I G A F A C T O R Y # 1

Here's an idea Elon would love. (are you listening?)
Since the roof will be covered with a huge PV Array, just calibrate a subset of the arrays with a 2 degree different angle to the sun. The energy collection difference would be negligible and that subset would form the letters TESLA and be visible from the Space Station due to the different glint reflection. Zero cost! In fact if just the letter arrays point lower in the sky for winter optimization that would be even more noticeable. If they are using a tracking system for the arrays then it's even easier.
We would be happy to compute the beta angle for the appropriate ISS day pass and radio up to the crew to be on the lookout for it with their Nikons.
-Robin (senior systems engineer, Mission Control Center, Houston, TX)

Here's an idea Elon would love. (are you listening?)
Since the roof will be covered with a huge PV Array, just calibrate a subset of the arrays with a 2 degree different angle to the sun. The energy collection difference would be negligible and that subset would form the letters TESLA and be visible from the Space Station due to the different glint reflection. Zero cost! In fact if just the letter arrays point lower in the sky for winter optimization that would be even more noticeable. If they are using a tracking system for the arrays then it's even easier.
We would be happy to compute the beta angle for the appropriate ISS day pass and radio up to the crew to be on the lookout for it with their Nikons.
-Robin (senior systems engineer, Mission Control Center, Houston, TX)

I like it!

I bet if Elon replaced the PV panels with mirrors (by pretending to switch to concentrating solar power generation, with a central boiler tower on the roof of the gigafactory), and then installed the right kind of radar system and fire control, he could even shoot the ISS down!

Come to think of it, I suspect that was his plan all along.

What a great idea. Now, if the panels were trackers, as suggested (but which I doubt), then that opens up the possibility of various messages to be shown at appropriate times....

I bet if Elon replaced the PV panels with mirrors (by pretending to switch to concentrating solar power generation, with a central boiler tower on the roof of the gigafactory), and then installed the right kind of radar system and fire control, he could even shoot the ISS down!

Come to think of it, I suspect that was his plan all along.

Stephen Colbert interviews Elon: "at what point do you tip over from visionary to supervillian and where are you building your secret lair?"
Elon: "I'm wondering about that myself actually."

Just be aware -- the ISS has 300kw of solar panels which are already steerable. It could fire back. Actually, like the best mega-villians, it could actually absorb Elon's PV death ray and BECOME STRONGER! (Mwaaa haaa haaa.)

I gotta ask NASA whether they could do that for the opening ceremonies at the GigaFactory.

If someone is going to use the solar array to shoot down things in space, wouldn't it be better to shoot down other stuff than the ISS. SpaceX kind of makes money from shuttling supplies to the ISS. It would be like shooting the golden goose.

There is a lot of space junk up there everyone would love to see removed from orbit. If someone could come up with a death ray that would de-orbit old, dead stuff floating up there, they would be a hero to the entire space industry.

He could also use the death ray to shoot down the competition to SpaceX.