Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Giga4 is building an on-site cement making plant. Is there a particular reason why Giga4 is using so much cement while GF3 was mostly steel? Something to do with the properties of the land? Cost of materials in the region?
The decision to build an on-site concrete mixing plant probably has more to do with how close the closest mixing plant is to the factory than the amount of concrete used.

Giga-Berlin will probably use similar overall construction techniques - with similar amounts of concrete and steel.

The decision to build an on-site concrete mixing plant probably has more to do with how close the closest mixing plant is to the factory than the amount of concrete used.

Giga-Berlin will probably use similar overall construction techniques - with similar amounts of concrete and steel.
Plus, with a rail yard, they can get the bulk ingredients direct shipped. That reduces cost and time involved vs trucks hauling it from another plant.

Giga4 is building an on-site cement making plant. Is there a particular reason why Giga4 is using so much cement while GF3 was mostly steel? Something to do with the properties of the land? Cost of materials in the region?

Is this GF Berlin? There will probably be a sheet metal stamping facility there which needs to be well anchored. They may need to pour a substantial foundation for it and there may not be a cement facility that is close by.

The render that Elon shared of the Berlin Gigafactory looks amazing. WOW.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-14-at-11.09.02-PM.jpg

'He's a risk-taker': Germans divided over Elon Musk's new GigaFactory

“I don’t have any need or desire to meet him,” he said. But he does have a nickname for the Musk sycophants and flunkeys: “‘SchließMuskelkriecher’, a play on Musk’s name, mixed with the German both for sphincter and brown-noser. “At least that’s how our initiative sees it, even if I admit it’s rather rude,” he said.

Any news on what is the % complete for the Nevada GF? It seems like Tesla’s focus is more on TX, Berlin, and China. So is Nevada on hold until Panasonic is ready with some new investments in the 4680 lines?

Any news on what is the % complete for the Nevada GF? It seems like Tesla’s focus is more on TX, Berlin, and China. So is Nevada on hold until Panasonic is ready with some new investments in the 4680 lines?

I think the main problem is that there aren't enough potential employees in the area to support expanding GigaNevada. So unless what they are building is mostly automated it needs to go somewhere with a good available labor pool.

I think the main problem is that there aren't enough potential employees in the area to support expanding GigaNevada. So unless what they are building is mostly automated it needs to go somewhere with a good available labor pool.

That certainly was a problem 2+ years ago. Is it still indeed a problem? Not only people but the infrastructure to support those people like roads, schools, housing, etc. were a problem. Turns out those tax abatements might have caused problems...

Well yes, that has been one of the issues, but it has also been improving in the last year, and not the biggest issue any more. Many people moving in from California and Oregon for various reasons. Our real estate broker told me last month that over 50% of all new sales in this area were due to people from those two states. People that have moved here from the Fremont plant don't made as much money, yet home prices are much lower, not state taxes, very little traffic issues compared to Fremont, and no paid parking that I know about. Those are the main motivations.

In case there is any doubt our new dark and stormy member above has been posting nothing but FUD based on the well known fact that Elon's timelines are usually wrong, as if we weren't aware :rolleyes:

Quoting the CEO of Tesla is FUD? What?

I'm genuinely curious. I have two CT pre-orders. I haven't paid that much attention to the details of the company and some friends recommended this site to get more news and information. I have no idea how Gigafactory is powered. Just asking a question.