Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am afraid, Mr. Hubris is rearing his ugly head again. He came and decimated X. Who knows, what damage he is going to do for 3 .

Can't Tesla make a simple car with proven materials and technology with say a solid 300 mile range, that has good reilability - something like no more than one visit to SC per quarter?

A Leaf with 300 mile range (with the reliability of a Tesla's battery pack ) is preferable to an iPhone on wheels that takes you to SC every other month.
Wow. You go from 'simple car' which makes me think of perhaps a Camry, all the way down to a LEAF, which is barely more than a Yaris? Perhaps you want one of these:
citicar.jpeg

CitiCar_7966_1000.jpg

2903289854_44b948bace_z.jpg

Can't Tesla make a simple car with proven materials and technology with say a solid 300 mile range, that has good reilability - something like no more than one visit to SC per quarter?

Several people seem to think so. My 90D has a 300 mile range (ah, but at what speed??) and I have been to the Service Center only once in my year of ownership, to fix a rattle in the pano. Took 15 minutes. That was in the first week, and I have had no issues since. So, your question is answered, unless "reilability" means something else.

Every new model car has issues at first. Anyone hoping differently, well, is just being hopeful, or may be in denial. The cars will be fixed. And, personally, I think too many people take their cars in for service when they don't need to.

WOW...they made more than one of these? What kind of car is this?
It was the Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar. I think I first saw it in an early episode of Good Morning America when I was a kid. As noted above by @gregd it is precisely because of 'cars' like this that Tesla Motors started with the Roadster. Just because the Model T was a no frills bucket on wagon wheels doesn't mean a modern electric car has to be a kit car with more compromises than a Caterham 7 and a performance profile that envies a 1949 Volkswagen Beetle. Trust that if the Model S had looked like one of these, NADA would have continued to ignore Tesla for decades.

18s11zzh9tk76jpg.jpg

VANGUARD-SEBRING%20-%20CITICAR%206%20HP%20-%201976.jpg

1974_vanguard_front_right.jpg

Citicar75sv2.jpg

Beaumont-2.jpg

citicar-electric-car-by-sebring-vanguard-c-car-commutacar-comutacar-5.jpg

It was the Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar. I think I first saw it in an early episode of Good Morning America when I was a kid. As noted above by @gregd it is precisely because of 'cars' like this that Tesla Motors started with the Roadster. Just because the Model T was a no frills bucket on wagon wheels doesn't mean a modern electric car has to be a kit car with more compromises than a Caterham 7 and a performance profile that envies a 1949 Volkswagen Beetle. Trust that if the Model S had looked like one of these, NADA would have continued to ignore Tesla for decades.

18s11zzh9tk76jpg.jpg

VANGUARD-SEBRING%20-%20CITICAR%206%20HP%20-%201976.jpg

1974_vanguard_front_right.jpg

Citicar75sv2.jpg

Beaumont-2.jpg

citicar-electric-car-by-sebring-vanguard-c-car-commutacar-comutacar-5.jpg

I wonder how much that car cost.

I'm watching the video and I'm thinking to myself... that car can get 35 - 50 miles of travel? WOW.
35-40 years later the best we can get is only 4 times that distance? At 10 times the price? WOW.

I realize that the newer electric vehicles have amenities such as a radio and Auto Pilot....but that's beside the point.

Reactions: Red Sage
What is exactly why? I thought the roadster was put out there to finance the MS. And then the MS to fund the M3.
So as to not follow the trend of both Treehuggers and Gearheads alike to always build electric cars that were weirdmobiles first and foremost, Tesla Motors chose to build the Tesla Roadster as a stunning sports car. Hence... 'exactly'.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I have driven two Leafs back to back 60k miles over 4 years and now my S around 16k miles. And my first Leaf was VIN 520 first year model.

I will tell you what - If Nissan had made a Leaf with model S range and battery reliability I would be driving Leaf over S now. (Of course not counting AP. To me AP shifts the equation heavily in favor of S even if it breaks down once a month).

I have driven two Leafs back to back 60k miles over 4 years and now my S around 16k miles. And my first Leaf was VIN 520 first year model.

I will tell you what - If Nissan had made a Leaf with model S range and battery reliability I would be driving Leaf over S now. (Of course not counting AP. To me AP shifts the equation heavily in favor of S even if it breaks down once a month).
The problem for me is that the Leaf will not go 0-60 in the sub 3's. Range isn't everything to everyone.

What is exactly why? I thought the roadster was put out there to finance the MS. And then the MS to fund the M3.
As noted by Red Sage, Tesla had several objectives in building the Roadster. One was to develop and refine their core technologies - battery, motor, electronics, etc -so they could finance and build the Model S. The other was to wake people up as to what an electric car could be. They could have contracted with any number of car companies to source the "glider" (engine-less car) to accomplish the first objective. But a 248 mile range 0-60 in 3.9 seconds $109,000 Ford Pinto would have been laughed off the road (if it didn't burst into flames first), if you could ever find someone to buy it.

You can't change the world of transportation without first changing the preconceived notions about what an electric car can be. The Roadster accomplished both objectives, and is still active in furthering the second with every mile driven. As the owner of one, I can honestly say it's an honor to help in that regard. And also a lot of fun.

Back to the topic... any other guesses on why Tesla thought it would be a safe bet to produce their own automotive glass in-house rather than source it from external suppliers?

Surely, there must be suppliers out there who are able to integrate features that Tesla want into their existing tried and tested glass products. E.g. Main Types of Glass

One can even say this is a bit like Tesla deciding to have its own iron blast furnace at the factory because they think they can make better and cheaper steel. But we know that very high running costs of a steel blast furnace basically prevents a company that runs one from being flexible and agile.

any other guesses on why Tesla thought it would be a safe bet to produce their own automotive glass in-house rather than source it from external suppliers?
Well, it will be only guessing, but that is what you ask for :)

It should be that Tesla have some characteristics in this glass that they think will give them some competitive advantage over other car manufacturers, and then be a "core technology" that they want to have in-house.
Or it will give Tesla Energy/Solar City some competitive advantage over other solar cell/roof tiles manufacturers - a "core technology" for their solar roof product, and while they do manufacturers this glass anyway, they may just as well use it on their cars, and then distribute the cost of this investments on more products.

Reactions: BluestarE3 and Jayc