Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully windshield replacements will be considered as stone chips in my neck of the woods are annual events for 90% of cars. I don't care personally but I hear a lot of people turning down the Model X because they are afraid of a stone chip on the windshield.
Where I grew up, I practically thought that Ford and Chevy pickup trucks came with cracked windshields by default.

Or perhaps Tesla Glass will be strong enough to resist rocks??
That would be nice.

Isn't the glass roof optional? I recall this was mentioned on video during one of the M3 test drives and obviously they can't make a fully glass roof on $35k car.

If the glass is standard, I hope it is electrochroamatic like it is on the maybach.
I expect that the 'glass roof' will be Standard, the 'solid roof' will be Optional, and that the opening 'panoramic roof' will be a higher priced Option. I sincerely doubt that an electrochromic glass roof option will be offered on the 'affordable car' at all (at least not prior to 2020). Removable shades are far less expensive.

My guesses:
1. Electrochromic is part of the glass roof option.
1b. If not Electrochromic it will have some version of the color louver film.
2. No Solar as it would be visible and a waste.
3. The tempered glass will not crack but can chip.
4. Heating built into all the windows.
5. People will complain about whatever they get.

Yeah, fixed-glass is standard as its much easier to build (place and glue), metal roof optional as its more expensive as it needs a liner, and panoramic roof will be optional as it is more expensive since it has finicky mechanical parts.

No idea how Tesla Glass fits in, but expecting something exciting. Perhaps better insulation.

Reactions: Red Sage
Yeah, fixed-glass is standard as its much easier to build (place and glue), metal roof optional as its more expensive as it needs a liner, and panoramic roof will be optional as it is more expensive since it has finicky mechanical parts.

No idea how Tesla Glass fits in, but expecting something exciting. Perhaps better insulation.

Aren't solid roofs cheaper, look at the Model S. The panoramic windshield cost $2500

Chips vs. Cracks.

My S has been hit by several large chunks of "gravel", dropped or thrown up into the windshield by vehicles in front. Too many to bother to count. Most are tinier than a gnat splat. But even on my S, they don't turn into a crack. I have never thought of replacing the windshield. I would think that replacing a (large) windshield on a 3 is not going to be a common occurance.

Yeah, fixed-glass is standard as its much easier to build (place and glue), metal roof optional as its more expensive as it needs a liner,
Interesting, I had not looked at it that way, always thought it would be the opposite, but I see your point and think that is possible.

However, if Tesla can make the fixed roof glass piece provide a high enough R value ( R-value (insulation) - Wikipedia ) so that it is suitable for all but the more extreme climates, the solid metal roof may only be selected by those seeking maximum insulation.

This idea keeps coming up and the areal efficiency, the amount of power generated per unit of area, of modern photovoltaic panels is not nearly high enough to power the smallest of systems on a Tesla, much less charging the main battery pack. We're all much better off with that added weight, complexity, and cost being left off the car and moved to a stationary power source like our houses.
This is how I was thinking. Cool idea but there's a lot of ground to be made before any real charging capabilities are to be seen.

Chips vs. Cracks.

My S has been hit by several large chunks of "gravel", dropped or thrown up into the windshield by vehicles in front. Too many to bother to count. Most are tinier than a gnat splat. But even on my S, they don't turn into a crack. I have never thought of replacing the windshield. I would think that replacing a (large) windshield on a 3 is not going to be a common occurance.
Large chunks of "gravel"? Where are you driving?

I've been driving for over 40 years and I can't every remember getting hit with large chunks of anything.

I am afraid, Mr. Hubris is rearing his ugly head again. He came and decimated X. Who knows, what damage he is going to do for 3 .

Can't Tesla make a simple car with proven materials and technology with say a solid 300 mile range, that has good reilability - something like no more than one visit to SC per quarter?

A Leaf with 300 mile range (with the reliability of a Tesla's battery pack ) is preferable to an iPhone on wheels that takes you to SC every other month.

Last edited by a moderator: