TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla halts center screen replacements

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Nov 30, 2018.

1. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

My own experience with this issue was bizarre, the yellowing literally happened overnight. The car had been parked out in the sun for most of the previous day and when I turned the car on in the morning I saw the yellow band and was shocked it happened so fast.
    Anyway my SC said April/May this year for the updated screen, I would suggest anyone with the issue they get it reported 'in the system' before their warranty runs out, that way it becomes a known issue they cannot resolve until new parts arrive and you won't be left hung out to dry if your warranty expires.

• Helpful x 2
  2. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Amen. Great advice. I report this issue every time I talk to them to make sure it's documented. I'll be damned if I get out of warranty and they say "sorry, no longer covered" when it was like that when I drove the service loaner I now own off the lot.

3. CLBR8

CLBR8 Member

I just noticed the yellowing band on my display (MS Dec 2016 delivery) after a friend, who owns a similar MS, told me about his yellowing. Up to that point I had not seen it, but now it is quite obvious on a daytime navigation screen. When they replace the screen under warranty do they also replace the MCU? From other posts it sounds like an updated display should be available in the April/May time frame.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

No.

• Informative x 1
  5. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Did you ever get your defective screen replaced?

6. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

No I haven't yet, it is a pain for me to get to the service centre and I just want to make sure these new screen are 100% certified as being good.

• Informative x 1
  7. whitex

whitex Active Member

I think they were all certified as being good at some point, so not sure that that means. Unless of course you think Tesla knowingly sold bad displays.

8. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

I would rather not have my dash pulled apart twice when worst case these new screens start to leak or go yellow after three months and another screen is needed, time will tell.

9. shred86

shred86 Member

Someone posted on the Tesla reddit they were denied a screen replacement for the yellow border issue with an explanation that it’s a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty. My screen doesn’t have the issue (yet) but it was reassuring to know the warranty would cover it. Hopefully this doesn’t become Tesla’s new stance on the screen issue.

10. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Such a stance would be indefensible. You can't believe everything you read on Reddit :rolleyes:

It is obviously a defect and it should (and will) obviously be replaced under warranty.

Hopefully this will happen willingly and they will do the right thing.

I think we should all give them some breathing room until they get through Q2.

11. rsg123

rsg123 Member

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I spoke with a very knowledgeable Tesla tech and he said the yellowing will begin to be fixed next month using some sort of UV light.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

But is this a permanent fix? Would the yellowing occur again and would other parts of the display yellow?

When a defective part fails, it needs to be replaced with a part that is as good as new. It can be a refurbished part but the part has to be good as new and not some band aid.

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Well technically the original new part yellowed over time, so repairing it such that it yellows over time again is "as good as new". :eek::rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  14. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

So they can keep replacing the display with what was shipped with the car or the new part that does not yellow :rolleyes:

15. MP3Mike

You mean they can keep repairing the screen, with their UV light. Which I believe they said they would do.

16. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Thats the same email I got when I set up an service appointment for the 3rd time since I got the yellowing months ago. Had to keep canceling because 1. Real halted repairs 2. The new display won’t be a replacement part for the yellowing. Now it’s just the “healing with UV light”

17. whitex

whitex Active Member

New screens now available

It seems they are trying to get away with it by getting people to accept this, so later they can say "we told you it's not covered, you didn't dispute this through official channels or courts, so you agreed". Of course, if you believe this is fake news, then Tesla has nothing to worry about, as fake owners can't sue them or file lemon law claims or official disputes with arbitration companies.

18. whitex

whitex Active Member

Was it the same knowledgeable guy who said a firmware fix was coming months ago? Tesla's lack of communication creates a vacuum where people fill it in with whatever fairy tales makes the customer go away, even temporarily.

19. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Not sure that putting a band aid on a manufacturing defect is an acceptable solution for anyone faced with this issue.

The warranty should fix manufacturing defects so it is as good as new.

20. MP3Mike

And again the original new screens yellowed over time, so using UV to reset so it yellows over time again is "as good as new." :rolleyes:

It is just like when there is something wrong with an ICE and the part fails every ~20k miles. They can replace it with another part that fails in ~20k miles even if that puts it as failing 1 mile past the warranty. They aren't required to redesign the part to last longer. (Look at GM and some of their intake manifold gaskets. They replaced them under warranty for ~6 years before they finally decided to redesign them so they lasted longer. And no they didn't replace non-failed old design gaskets with the new design unless they failed during the warranty period.)