Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla halts center screen replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own experience with this issue was bizarre, the yellowing literally happened overnight. The car had been parked out in the sun for most of the previous day and when I turned the car on in the morning I saw the yellow band and was shocked it happened so fast.
Anyway my SC said April/May this year for the updated screen, I would suggest anyone with the issue they get it reported 'in the system' before their warranty runs out, that way it becomes a known issue they cannot resolve until new parts arrive and you won't be left hung out to dry if your warranty expires.

My own experience with this issue was bizarre, the yellowing literally happened overnight. The car had been parked out in the sun for most of the previous day and when I turned the car on in the morning I saw the yellow band and was shocked it happened so fast.
Anyway my SC said April/May this year for the updated screen, I would suggest anyone with the issue they get it reported 'in the system' before their warranty runs out, that way it becomes a known issue they cannot resolve until new parts arrive and you won't be left hung out to dry if your warranty expires.
Amen. Great advice. I report this issue every time I talk to them to make sure it's documented. I'll be damned if I get out of warranty and they say "sorry, no longer covered" when it was like that when I drove the service loaner I now own off the lot.

I just noticed the yellowing band on my display (MS Dec 2016 delivery) after a friend, who owns a similar MS, told me about his yellowing. Up to that point I had not seen it, but now it is quite obvious on a daytime navigation screen. When they replace the screen under warranty do they also replace the MCU? From other posts it sounds like an updated display should be available in the April/May time frame.

Did you ever get your defective screen replaced?

Someone posted on the Tesla reddit they were denied a screen replacement for the yellow border issue with an explanation that it’s a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty. My screen doesn’t have the issue (yet) but it was reassuring to know the warranty would cover it. Hopefully this doesn’t become Tesla’s new stance on the screen issue.

Someone posted on the Tesla reddit they were denied a screen replacement for the yellow border issue with an explanation that it’s a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty. My screen doesn’t have the issue (yet) but it was reassuring to know the warranty would cover it. Hopefully this doesn’t become Tesla’s new stance on the screen issue.

Such a stance would be indefensible. You can't believe everything you read on Reddit :rolleyes:

It is obviously a defect and it should (and will) obviously be replaced under warranty.

Hopefully this will happen willingly and they will do the right thing.

I think we should all give them some breathing room until they get through Q2.

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I spoke with a very knowledgeable Tesla tech and he said the yellowing will begin to be fixed next month using some sort of UV light.

But is this a permanent fix? Would the yellowing occur again and would other parts of the display yellow?

When a defective part fails, it needs to be replaced with a part that is as good as new. It can be a refurbished part but the part has to be good as new and not some band aid.

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I spoke with a very knowledgeable Tesla tech and he said the yellowing will begin to be fixed next month using some sort of UV light.

Thats the same email I got when I set up an service appointment for the 3rd time since I got the yellowing months ago. Had to keep canceling because 1. Real halted repairs 2. The new display won’t be a replacement part for the yellowing. Now it’s just the “healing with UV light”

Such a stance would be indefensible. You can't believe everything you read on Reddit :rolleyes:
New screens now available

It seems they are trying to get away with it by getting people to accept this, so later they can say "we told you it's not covered, you didn't dispute this through official channels or courts, so you agreed". Of course, if you believe this is fake news, then Tesla has nothing to worry about, as fake owners can't sue them or file lemon law claims or official disputes with arbitration companies.

Was it the same knowledgeable guy who said a firmware fix was coming months ago? Tesla's lack of communication creates a vacuum where people fill it in with whatever fairy tales makes the customer go away, even temporarily.

The warranty should fix manufacturing defects so it is as good as new.

And again the original new screens yellowed over time, so using UV to reset so it yellows over time again is "as good as new." :rolleyes:

It is just like when there is something wrong with an ICE and the part fails every ~20k miles. They can replace it with another part that fails in ~20k miles even if that puts it as failing 1 mile past the warranty. They aren't required to redesign the part to last longer. (Look at GM and some of their intake manifold gaskets. They replaced them under warranty for ~6 years before they finally decided to redesign them so they lasted longer. And no they didn't replace non-failed old design gaskets with the new design unless they failed during the warranty period.)