Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a monopoly. Best to wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Door storage
Better choice of color and materials for interior
Head rest adjustment.
Cooled seats
Too much outside noise not being filtered
Options like spoilers
Panel gap is too much in the Tesla I test drove
The interior does not feel like a 100k car in general
Charging takes too long. Hope to have higher capacity chargers like 300 or 500 kwh.

You're missing the most critical feature of all which is lighted vanity mirrors :rolleyes:

IMHO "German quality" is a myth. Yes, they build cars that make a good initial first impression with aesthetically pleasing design and materials, but in terms of longer-term reliability and dependability, no way.

I have a co-worker with a 2001 M3. Literally everything has stopped working. The seat motors, window motors, door lock actuators, AC, stereo, cruise, etc, etc. It's amazing it's still running. The paint has completely oxidized on the top and all the exterior moldings have bubbled and peeled.

I will never buy German.

I have a co-worker with a 2001 M3. Literally everything has stopped working. The seat motors, window motors, door lock actuators, AC, stereo, cruise, etc, etc. It's amazing it's still running. The paint has completely oxidized on the top and all the exterior moldings have bubbled and peeled.

I will never buy German.
I have an Audi and its better quality than any American or Japanese car I have seen. German cars are better that is why people are OK to pay more for it.

I have an Audi and its better quality than any American or Japanese car I have seen. German cars are better that is why people are OK to pay more for it.

Dozens of friends, co-workers, and some family members have all had the same experiences. I don't know ANYONE that has ever owned a BMW or Mercedes long term that hasn't had loads of problems with them. They have high quality materials, but mechanically and electronically they are disasters when it comes to long term reliability.

I just sold a '95 Lexus SC400 two years ago with 334K miles on it. It had zero failures of any kind over it's entire life.

If you want what comes with a German made sedan and are willing to part ways with it before 60K miles, then it may be for you. If you want longer term reliability over hundreds of thousands of miles, not a chance.

Dozens of friends, co-workers, and some family members have all had the same experiences. I don't know ANYONE that has ever owned a BMW or Mercedes long term that hasn't had loads of problems with them. They have high quality materials, but mechanically and electronically they are disasters when it comes to long term reliability.
I'm sorry but I vehemently disagree, while the MBs and BMWs are far from trouble free, I have never had serious issues with any of the many that I've owned. in fact I owned one from new until it had 250k miles on it which I sold and went many more miles put on it. in contrast my "classic" model S had more minor issues up to a complete drive unit replacement, my current tesla has been almost trouble free.

I think you are correct. Batteries are not cheap enough yet. Will wait till MS uses batteries from Gigafactory .

I think the plan is that my Model 3 will have batteries from the Gigafactory. So you won't have long to wait at all. Probably not going to be any cheaper, though. But it's nice to be supporting domestic manufacturing.

I will never buy German.

Yep, we can judge an entire nation's automotive output from one lemon.

Yep, this too: We can judge two entire nations' automotive output from one car made by a third nation.

Actually, after owning an American Motors Jeep I swore I'd never buy another American-made car. Owned two trouble-free Japanese cars in succession for well over a decade each. Then a Chinese-made car that was a complete piece of crap and I loved it, it was so much fun to drive! Then Tesla came along, and while my Roadster has not been 100% trouble-free, it's been a great car, and my next car will be another Tesla. A Model 3.

I've never owned a "luxury" car. Never wanted one. I'd rather spend three months on Maui kayaking every day. (Opportunity cost: You can have a mighty fine vacation for the cost difference between a luxury car and a very nice car. Which is why so few people buy them.)

I came from an 2013 Audi A4 prestige, great car, best car I ever owned, and while it was in for service they gave me an S6 loaner which I was considering moving up to. I was having a blast driving the S6 and my wife and I went to the local mall to shop where there happen to be a Tesla gallery. My wife was curious about Tesla but we didn't know much about it so we stopped in. They spent a long time with us, took us on a long unscheduled test drive and long story short we both own Model S's now and have never looked back. I thought I was going to be an Audi owner for life but then I drove the Model S, not a single regret about anything.

You didn't read my follow up before responding ;)

Okay, you say in the follow-up that you don't know anyone whose BMW or Mercedes didn't have loads of problems. Consumer Reports gives BMW a decent reliability rating (9 out of 29 brands). Mercedes doesn't do so well, at number 17. Surprising to me was that Tesla, which scores really high when they test cars, does very poorly on reliability, at #25. Lexus, Toyota, Buick, and Audi are in the top four places, respectively. Buick is the only American-made car that scores better than BMW for reliability. Dodge, Chrysler, GMC, and Ram are also clustered at the bottom.

Maybe Tesla's low ratings come from the problems they had with the Model X when it came out? I'm sure they're working on trying to get their reliability rating up.

I would never buy a BMW. I have other reasons not relevant to the topic. But anecdotal stories about lemons do not constitute evidence.

Same story here. Went to one of the Tesla road shows and a short time later, we have a his & hers set. Even with the issues we have had, we would buy again. We have a few M3 reserved for the kids.

I started reading from the first post, and it was clear to me that the OP would be better off in an ICE vehicle. The Tesla +s and -s are well known and if they don't work for you then stay with an ICE.

Just a note to everyone that I cannot charge at home.
I live in a condo type place now with open parking
If you cannot charge at home during the night,
or at work during the day, this is certainly a major drawback.

I hope that Tesla start also to implement some city superchargers
for city dwellers and apartment residents or anyone who has
to park in the street or a carport.

Check if you can find at walking distance a garage, a store,
or a supermarket, like Whole Food, with an L2 charger:
Plugshare public charging stations around Seattle

Depending of your weekly commute, you might only need
a full charging once a week.

For your weekend trips, I notice a
Supercharger in each direction (North, East, South, West) from Seattle

I came from an 2013 Audi A4 prestige, great car, best car I ever owned, and while it was in for service they gave me an S6 loaner which I was considering moving up to. I was having a blast driving the S6 and my wife and I went to the local mall to shop where there happen to be a Tesla gallery. My wife was curious about Tesla but we didn't know much about it so we stopped in. They spent a long time with us, took us on a long unscheduled test drive and long story short we both own Model S's now and have never looked back. I thought I was going to be an Audi owner for life but then I drove the Model S, not a single regret about anything.
I agree that Tesla is awesome to drive. I never denied that. But, I would like to have luxury features as well.

Tesla currently has a monopoly in the high end EV market.

There's no monopoly. In fact, Tesla opened up its patents to be used by other automakers in good faith. The fact that others don't follow, or follow but at a snail's pace, doesn't turn innovation into a monopoly.

But you have to be somewhat forgiving when buying cutting edge technology. You might be better off waiting if you feel better sitting in a BMW or Mercedes. For some of us, there's no comparison to the point there's no going back. We're also looking forward to competition in this market because we're much more limited in our selection than people who also look at ICE vehicles.

Here is how to charge an ICE,
a) Background thread sapping your energy "I need gas"
b) Begrudgingly dress up, unlock, get in car, ignition, open garage door, don't forget to close it, drive to gas station: 30 mins out of your life.
c) Step out, damn its cold .. #*(#, check for credit card skimmers, step into someone else's slurpy. cuss!
d) Smell fumes, yummy
e) open gas door, swipe card, .. I'm not sure what the actual sequence is, haven't done it in 2 years.
f.1) Hope that damn clicker works this time.
f.2) F** credit card skimmers
f.3) Oh great card machine is down
f.4) Is that a booger is just crusted up gas + dust?
f.5) Oh she's cute, oh no wait that's a he.
f.6) Crap receipt didn't print, stand in line, deal with the clerk
g) Go home, and never actually enjoy the security of a full tank. Car drives like crap anyway.
h) Open garage door again, remember to turn the car off again . .. .

Here is how to charge a Tesla,
Glide home in my space machine, plug in ~ 5 seconds.
Except now you need a garage door because you didn't open it when driving the model S in and wrecked it.