Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regrettably, no. They have to remove it from the venue overnight, so will have to pick up the next day at the service centre.....Also it will be A car, not quite MY car. Since mine is not in-country yet due to shipping delay, they are "delivering" my previous order, which i will use as a loaner til mine arrives....
Good workaround that does not inconvenience others by unnecessarily delaying general production orders, yet allows me to drive what is virtually my car (minus the autopilot sensors and with a white not black headliner..)

Regrettably, no. They have to remove it from the venue overnight, so will have to pick up the next day at the service centre.....Also it will be A car, not quite MY car. Since mine is not in-country yet due to shipping delay, they are "delivering" my previous order, which i will use as a loaner til mine arrives....
Good workaround that does not inconvenience others by unnecessarily delaying general production orders, yet allows me to drive what is virtually my car (minus the autopilot sensors and with a white not black headliner..)

That does mean you can drink the Champaign that will be flowing....there will be Champaign wont there?

One of the things they will be doing is building a large solar farm, which they will use to make themselves energy neutral including the superchargers. Essentially, we are all subsidising that with our cars. They will sell green power to the grid and buy it back at negligible charge.

This is quite phenomenal if correct. It will be great ammunition against the 'your car runs on coal' argument, although I can already hear the 'solar doesn't work at night' crowd coming into play. I can't wait for Tuesday night.

This is quite phenomenal if correct. It will be great ammunition against the 'your car runs on coal' argument, although I can already hear the 'solar doesn't work at night' crowd coming into play. I can't wait for Tuesday night.

I guess we'll have to wait for cost effective battery storage, which should only be a few years away now.

Then we'll get the: yeah but you need to use energy to manufacture the batteries etc -_-'

For many people it becomes about engrained ideology that can only be broken with education and time.

That works both ways. The idea that one solution fits all is always a tough one to sell.

If we can start by using solar during the day to satisfy our peak/entire day time demand then use any other method (coal or whatever) at night, we'll be in a much better position.

I also question the justification for using batteries to satisfy night demand for fixed (line) resources like homes. Unless you consider dams as batteries :)

That works both ways. The idea that one solution fits all is always a tough one to sell.

If we can start by using solar during the day to satisfy our peak/entire day time demand then use any other method (coal or whatever) at night, we'll be in a much better position.

I also question the justification for using batteries to satisfy night demand for fixed (line) resources like homes. Unless you consider dams as batteries :)
It's totally doable with batteries, it just requires capital investment which our government isn't prepared to do. Partly because of ties with the coal sector, and partly because of electricity prices attributed to the last round of capital investment. (IMO)

You don't need to store all solar generated, you only need to push and pull power around the grid at peak times. Batteries also have the added benefit for voltage stability (VArs) of the networks as well, it's very promising. For more large scale storage, there's also these liquid salt storage doohickeys worth considering (Technical term).

I work in the industry as an engineer and have had heavy involvement in some large solar farms already. They pose challenges, but there are definitely solutions for them.

the I-meiv is RWD philistine

LOL - sorry about that, I'd bundled it with the Leaf - mind you the 'styling' of the Miev really puts me off. Can't wait for my model S!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, interesting but probably not with Coal fired - they take way too long to respond and so generally aren't cycled up and down much. Thats another reason why power is cheap off peak. Part of the issue in Germany is that solar has really reduced the daytime power wholesale price and since power at night is also cheap, the coal fired power stations are struggling to cover costs, yet are still needed overnight.

really cool! Need to know what type of connector they are providing.
They showed it on prime (7) news, but I switched over just as the segment ended, so didn't have time to see what the connection was. I stop there regularly as it is when we're traveling north, but the new bypass is going around them. This is a great way to encourage people to make the stop from the highway.

They showed it on prime (7) news, but I switched over just as the segment ended, so didn't have time to see what the connection was. I stop there regularly as it is when we're traveling north, but the new bypass is going around them. This is a great way to encourage people to make the stop from the highway.

That is a good spot. Maybe also a good place to put Superchargers. I'll be there next week and I'll definitely check it out.