Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my HPWC was installed as part of the charger validation program (many months before our cars arrived) my electrician set the dip switches to 40A. The circuit was protected by a 50A breaker and we have a decent 3 phase supply to our property.

When Mitchell visited with the test car the charger kept throwing up a fault signal. The only way we could get it to work was to set the dip switches back to 32A. This apparently had been an issue at other locations during testing.

Not sure why this occurs or if later batches of the HPWC have overcome this issue (maybe different internal components or they have adjusted some settings). So whilst all single phase HPWC are theoretically capable of 40A (on a suitably rated circuit) there are at least some of them that won't play ball and will only work at 32A.

I haven't chased it up as will be getting a 3 phase charger as soon as they are released.
Mine was installed in January and the initial install failed (the instructions that came with it were wrong). I got the sparky a net set of instructions on-line and all was good.

The wall connector I installed in February was one of the 'early' ones and was apparently limited to 32A (although I'm not sure why). Then I installed a second HPWC at a different location in April. It is a 'newer' one and it runs at 40A in a standard NSW house. I run it at 40A all the time. Easy peasy.

The early ones were limited to 32A as they only had a charging cable rated for that level of power. If you talk to Tesla they will upgrade it to 40A at their expense (requires an electrician visit and a firmware upgrade). This is assuming you have it on a 50A circuit and it can be upgraded. My 32A charger was installed in July last year and was upgraded to 40A a few months ago. I don't really need it, but it's nice to have.

First X deliveries at factory on the 29th. Official. So, they aren't going to miss this deadline, but only just, and really on a technicality. See Musk tweet. First cars in Australia? At this rate, and taking Tesla time into consideration, not before January 2017. I doubt the model 3 will be here before 2020.

First X deliveries at factory on the 29th. Official. So, they aren't going to miss this deadline, but only just, and really on a technicality. See Musk tweet. First cars in Australia? At this rate, and taking Tesla time into consideration, not before January 2017. I doubt the model 3 will be here before 2020.

Now all that may be true, but on the other hand, Oprah Winfrey bought a Tesla, so...

Sadly your 2020 estimation is probably correct, which means the new roadster is not even worth dreaming about.

I have a colleague at work who is seriously in awe of the Model S (I have given him a lift to meetings a couple of times), but always takes the opportunity to have some fun when sending me emails with comments such as "have you checked the oil and water" or "when are you going to put a proper engine in that car of yours".

I have recently turned the tables. Whenever I call him on his mobile I always start with "just wanted to check you are not using your mobile in an explosive atmosphere at a servo" and finish up with "just be really careful when you are splashing around highly flammable liquids in that car of yours".

Is anyone else getting (or giving!) any amusing jibes from friends or colleagues?