Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so another choice for the Melb-Adelaide trip is now possible... charging at Portland, then at Raidis Estate ?

For a scenic route AND you have time, it should be possible to go via the Great Ocean Road using the Destination Charger at Jan Juc.

Richmond - Jan Juc (~112km)
Jan Juc - Portland (~350km) (via GOR)

or quicker direct route
Richmond - Portland (direct ~365km)

thanks Paulp - do you know exact location? (I'm guessing) near Portrush rd intersection?
I'm hoping to do the Adel-Melb trip more regularly (visit wife's family) once we take delivery of our 70 next year..
Burnide village shopping centre, cnr portrush and greenhill roads. I'm not sure if it is 24 hr access as it's in the basement carpark, but will find out later in the week. Two HPWC's are being installed.

so i'm guessing at this stage, doing the above trip on a 70 probably isn't possible?

Yep an overnight stop in Gundagai or nearby would be needed for a 60 or 70 at the moment (which is what we plan to do in January simply to make it a leisurely road trip - no interest in 13 hours solid driving on holiday!) but as Dborn says Gundagai SC will be a matter of weeks away and then no problem for any Model S.

The usual sort of idiot comments, must train myself to not read them.. Not a bad write up but you wonder why they didn't wait for the supercharger route to be complete and so avoid any range issues whatsoever as was intended.

225 comments in less than a day and no one has claimed the Model S is pointless in Australia because it can't beat an 800hp Koenigsegg around the Nurburgring! But then I guess all those comments keep the Caradvice sponsors happy so in turn more articles on Tesla and EVs in general

The SA government is shutting down a freeway tomorrow to let a few "driverless" volvo's trial WORLD FIRST technology including steering, automatic braking (which failed in todays media demo by the transport minister), and lane changing. 'World first' keeps being mentioned. Tesla doesn't get mentioned. Can't join the world first trial as I'm sure there will be police guards to keep us all safe from these incredible self steering self braking volvo's.

The SA government is shutting down a freeway tomorrow to let a few "driverless" volvo's trial WORLD FIRST technology including steering, automatic braking (which failed in todays media demo by the transport minister), and lane changing. 'World first' keeps being mentioned. Tesla doesn't get mentioned.

Heath Walker is in Adelaide representing Tesla, so he's at least trying to get the message out.

walker-sa.png

There's also a (paywalled) article in The Advertiser featuring Walker and Simon Hackett, asking for government incentives.

The big "world first trial in the southern hemisphere" of "driverless" cars has happened. 4 volvo's equipped with drivers and pollies took to a closed piece of freeway to demonstrate the full functionality of the Volvo system which includes lane keeping, slowing down and speeding up for cars in front, and lane changing. It has no other autonomous features. As this is so 'new and dangerous' the cars did not exceed 60kmh, and the volvo system cannot yet exceed 70kmh. Volvo are supplied by mobileye, who also supply tesla.
The SA Premier noted that the Government now need to work at making these features legal before volvo are first to market in 2017 on limited roads, and they are likely to start by licencing those roads. Incredibly volvo have "autonomous vehicle" printed on the side of these 'ground-breaking' cars, so they maybe need to sort out their knowledge on the use of that word too.
Given every AP equipped tesla in the world already has this functionality and is likely to see rapid improvement over the next two years, volvo are going to look somewhat obsolete by the time they release to the public. Someone should also maybe tell the SA Premier that the Federal Dept of Transport has already approved these systems for all tesla's on any road in Australia.

The design of cars is federally regulated. Remember a few weeks ago when we were all waiting for federal approval? The states have no control over the design of cars, otherwise you would need border inspections, hotels at borders, and car hire at borders.
The states can however tinker around with road rules, for example in sa at the moment they are trying to enforce 1m clearance to cyclists....although it's unlikely to get through the senate. Good luck proving you were say 0.9m. Road rules cannot over-ride the hardware. For example the states cannot regulate you must have an extra brake light. These segways though, they sound like our wish for a browser when stationary. Weaponry.