Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've paid my $6k for a place in the queue, like everyone else I have no idea whether its a queue that I can afford to be in or not. I don't know if there'll be any other rural Model S users, I'm currently living in Melbourne but we are building a house in North East Victoria where we'll eventually relocate to. Unfortunately a 320km drive up and down the Hume means an S85 for me as I doubt that there'd be any charging infrastructure there for years. I'll install 1 HPWC in my new house and another in my Melbourne accommodation.

Last edited:
Sent the following email to Jerome Guillen this morning and received the reply a couple of hours later.
Dear mr Guillen
I have received the interior trim substrates, thank you very much.

I write to ask when we can expect to see Australian pricing? A week and a bit ago, you indicated that it was " days away". You will see from the Tesla motors club blog site that we here are all very anxiously awaiting this announcement , in fact the suspense is intolerable!
Thank you for your message. I am glad you received the substrates - this is good news.

We delayed the launch of the Australian pricing, as we were super busy with end of quarter activities. We should release before the end of next week. Our pricing strategy is the same in all countries: base US price plus unavoidable shipping, tax, and duties, converted at the most recent exchange rate.

Thanks again for your continued support and your patience! Best regards

"I'm currently redrawing the map to incorporate feedback. Thank you all for providing it!"

Well heosat, considering you posted that at the same time u posted

"I had a lovely chat with Stone today and he's definitely the right man for the job. I look forward to him executing his plan!"

There might just be a connection? Wink wink nudge nudge...

Sent the following email to Jerome Guillen this morning and received the reply a couple of hours later.
Dear mr Guillen
I have received the interior trim substrates, thank you very much.

I write to ask when we can expect to see Australian pricing? A week and a bit ago, you indicated that it was " days away". You will see from the Tesla motors club blog site that we here are all very anxiously awaiting this announcement , in fact the suspense is intolerable!
Thank you for your message. I am glad you received the substrates - this is good news.

We delayed the launch of the Australian pricing, as we were super busy with end of quarter activities. We should release before the end of next week. Our pricing strategy is the same in all countries: base US price plus unavoidable shipping, tax, and duties, converted at the most recent exchange rate.

Thanks again for your continued support and your patience! Best regards

Let's hope that this time they have under promised and will over deliver?

It would make for a nice Easter present maybe?

Thanks DBorn for the update. Sounds like about as good news as we could ask for regarding price.

At the moment, the AUD is rising a little every day. The wait for pricing isn't much fun, but it reasonably profitable if they truly price on the most recent exchange rate

A little while ago there was a mention that the rear facing seats would not be available in Australia. Anyone heard any updates regarding that?
Also is there enough width in the back seat to potentially fit 3 children car seats? - something that may become important if the jump seats are not coming to Aus.

A little while ago there was a mention that the rear facing seats would not be available in Australia. Anyone heard any updates regarding that?
Also is there enough width in the back seat to potentially fit 3 children car seats? - something that may become important if the jump seats are not coming to Aus.
Suggest you address a question like your last one to a USA owner via private message on this site. You will get a definitive answer from someone who owns one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6961&d=1340423720.jpg

I had confirmation today from Cary Clark that there will be no rear facing seats in Australia.

He also said that he is expecting to have a car for test driving in Melbourne in late May with the Sydney car not being too much sooner than that. This is a bit more of a wait than I was hoping for.

He verified the pricing announcement is scheduled for next week.

Ok so this is most likely either a wind up or a misidentification of another car, but a friend of mine swears blind that he saw a LHD model S on the back of a tilt tray on Sydney roads today.

I initially dismissed this as nonsense, after all why would they bother having a LHD car when RHD cars are possibly only weeks away from being available? He was adamant that it was LHD so that makes it less likely that it is just a misidentified Maserati, Jaguar etc.

Then I thought about why Tesla might bring a LHD car out now and what it could be used for:
1) familiarisation vehicle for service centre staff ahead of RHD deliveries
2) a static prop for an event releasing Australian pricing (due in next week)
3) a test vehicle for Australian press to accompany the pricing launch
4) a test bed for charging off Australian power network (given unexpected problems that have occurred in other countries initially)

It has started to sound as if it could be plausible? What do you all think?

Ok so this is most likely either a wind up or a misidentification of another car, but a friend of mine swears blind that he saw a LHD model S on the back of a tilt tray on Sydney roads today.

I initially dismissed this as nonsense, after all why would they bother having a LHD car when RHD cars are possibly only weeks away from being available? He was adamant that it was LHD so that makes it less likely that it is just a misidentified Maserati, Jaguar etc.

Then I thought about why Tesla might bring a LHD car out now and what it could be used for:
1) familiarisation vehicle for service centre staff ahead of RHD deliveries
2) a static prop for an event releasing Australian pricing (due in next week)
3) a test vehicle for Australian press to accompany the pricing launch
4) a test bed for charging off Australian power network (given unexpected problems that have occurred in other countries initially)

It has started to sound as if it could be plausible? What do you all think?
at some point a vehicle will need to be supplied to the authorities for testing to verify Australian design rules compliance. This could be the one. In Hong Kong, all current test drives are on a left hand drive vehicle by special dispensation, I understand.