Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some strange reason I keep getting redirected to the Italian site! Is anyone else getting this?

Nice detective work on the embedded price information though, but I agree that it's just the US data copied across.

I sent an email asking for confirmation on the rear seats issue a few days ago but have received nothing back.

I need to be put out of my misery.

Lazy web designers :tongue:

It would be great if it indeed was 69990: under the LCT and so cheap they'll sell thousands of them. OH well we can dream but reality will wake me up next week when the $100K price tag is revealed. :(

- - - Updated - - -

The page is definitely a copy paste form the US, but interestingly there is a reference to AUD in the pricing block which is USD on the US site which means whatever content management system they're using obviously has the AUD function. Seems strange they'd leave all the pricing options in unchanged in the code. The price box code (that shows cash price and finance monthly rate) is there but just with no "stuff" in it to present other than reserve yours.

OMG and I actually thought the P85+ was going to be 105k I was jumping up and down >< BAH

My wife and I currently have a bet as to which car will arrive on Australian shores first: the BMW i3 or the Model S. I'm vouching for Tesla and when Stone arrived in Australia I felt I gained the ascendancy. However, yesterday morning I received a phone call and the pricing, options and delivery dates for the i3 are now available in Australia. The race continues!

My wife and I currently have a bet as to which car will arrive on Australian shores first: the BMW i3 or the Model S. I'm vouching for Tesla and when Stone arrived in Australia I felt I gained the ascendancy. However, yesterday morning I received a phone call and the pricing, options and delivery dates for the i3 are now available in Australia. The race continues!
SAY WHAT! I called the BMW guy yesterday and he wouldn't or couldn't reveal anything to me. So as to not hijack the thread - PM me with your info....please.

Well, today marks one week exactly to when Jerome Guillen told me that Australian prices and configurator were " days away". My interpretation of that phrase is under a week. So, it seems yet a further deadline missed!! Anyone heard anything different in the interim?

Well, today marks one week exactly to when Jerome Guillen told me that Australian prices and configurator were " days away". My interpretation of that phrase is under a week. So, it seems yet a further deadline missed!! Anyone heard anything different in the interim?

Technically the Australian configurator is up and the prices are too - hidden in the webpage code :biggrin:

I kid obviously.

I really admire your glass half full attitude! Mine regrettably is usually the glass half empty route!

I'm more of an optimist than a pessimist. I do think Tesla is going to do whatever is in their power to make their product affordable here.

No amount of optimism though will lead me to believe our current government would introduce EV incentives unless there was something in it for them. I don't think for the good of the environment is a valid reason for them.

I'm more of an optimist than a pessimist. I do think Tesla is going to do whatever is in their power to make their product affordable here.

No amount of optimism though will lead me to believe our current government would introduce EV incentives unless there was something in it for them. I don't think for the good of the environment is a valid reason for them.
Trying to be an optimist, maybe no news is good news?

In my case the car that will be replaced by the Model S (2009.5 Holden SV6 Ute) is rated at 9.9 l/100km and the EPA rating of the Model S is 89 MPG or 2.2 l/100km.
Shouldn't I get a Direct Action payment for my reduction in carbon output for the 7.7 l/100km reduction?
Hello - Joe - Tony - you there?

Last edited:
In my case the car that will be replaced by the Model S (2009.5 Holden SV6 Ute) is rated at 9.9 l/100km and the EPA rating of the Model S is 89 MPG or 2.2 l/100km.
Shouldn't I get a payment for my reduction in carbon output for the 7.7 l/100km reduction?

Unfortunately I think the government would be more worried about the lost tax revenue and petrol duty than embracing reductions in something they deny is an issue in the first place!?

Anyway moving on..... Come on Tesla release the pricing!!!

Shouldn't I get a Direct Action payment for my reduction in carbon output for the 7.7 l/100km reduction?

I think you should definitely be eligible for Direct Action dollars.

I posted this on the Whirlpool forums but thought I'd repost it here too:

I know this is all speculation but hear me out.
1. It makes sense that the base price for the US and Australia are the same because even though 69,900 is in the source code, when you go to the design studio of the US website, the base price is 68,070, which I'm sure is adjusted for taxes and their rebate. Tesla have said repeatedly that the car will be sold around the world as the US price plus any local taxes/freight etc.
2. There is no other mention of a base price on the US source design studio source code, unlike the Australian source code, which has all base prices. Furthermore, the most expensive model has the following code:
{\"base_price\":105400.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY
The key here is that the price book is AU 2013 July, which I assume is the last time they did pricing for the AU Models. At that time, the US/AUD exchange rate is lower than it is now, we were buying around 0.89 US cents.
The US source code, for their base price has the following:
{\"base_price\":69900.00,\"price_book_name\":\"US 2014 MARCH
Which leads me to believe that they have different price books for different countries, and it's constantly being updated. If you look at the HK website it also has a price book for Feb 2014.
3. For the HK site, the pricing is exactly the same between the design studio and the source code, and I think that's because the base price does not need to be adjusted for local taxes as the Tesla is exempt from the first registration tax in HK. That leads me to believe that the base price is calculated ONLY with currency conversion and freight.
The HK base price in USD is $74,639, which is around $5k more expensive than in the US. That makes sense when you take into account freight and currency conversion costs.
So in conclusion, I think the base prices in the Australian website are fairly accurate +/- $5k, but may not be final because freight prices haven't been finalised.
They also don't take into account GST, LCT, Customs duty etc, so you would need to adjust for that.
In any case, it's looking more affordable! Here's dreaming anyway :)

1. It makes sense that the base price for the US and Australia are the same because even though 69,900 is in the source code, when you go to the design studio of the US website, the base price is 68,070, which I'm sure is adjusted for taxes and their rebate. Tesla have said repeatedly that the car will be sold around the world as the US price plus any local taxes/freight etc.
2. There is no other mention of a base price on the US source design studio source code, unlike the Australian source code, which has all base prices. Furthermore, the most expensive model has the following code:
The key here is that the price book is AU 2013 July, which I assume is the last time they did pricing for the AU Models. At that time, the US/AUD exchange rate is lower than it is now, we were buying around 0.89 US cents.
Which leads me to believe that they have different price books for different countries, and it's constantly being updated. If you look at the HK website it also has a price book for Feb 2014.
3. For the HK site, the pricing is exactly the same between the design studio and the source code, and I think that's because the base price does not need to be adjusted for local taxes as the Tesla is exempt from the first registration tax in HK. That leads me to believe that the base price is calculated ONLY with currency conversion and freight.
The HK base price in USD is $74,639, which is around $5k more expensive than in the US. That makes sense when you take into account freight and currency conversion costs.
So in conclusion, I think the base prices in the Australian website are fairly accurate +/- $5k, but may not be final because freight prices haven't been finalised.
They also don't take into account GST, LCT, Customs duty etc, so you would need to adjust for that.

That would be nice, but it looks like the options will be the killer once LCT and GST comes into play!

Having priced a car on the US web site, done a conversion to AUD and added $4000 for freight, i came to a price of 109000.00 Then adding all our taxes and charges for NSW, i came to a grand total of 140000 odd for the car. For NSW, any figure above 75375 is taxed at 1.54. There is no customs duty - free trade agreement. Under the above figure is GST and stamp duty - for NSW at 3% up to 50000 odd and 5 % thereafter. The options are going to be a killer. Don't order parcel shelves or yacht floors initially. Do that aftermarket. Wheels, that, may be an issue with aftermarket but is a potential area for some tax savings too.ditto spoiler. no accessories such as spare charging cables and adaptors either. A pity Mark E's suggestion probably won't be taken up - namely fit the hardware but don't activate it. Pay for activation at a later date. You get the picture.

Could they market the supercharger access and required components as a very expensive lifetime subscription type deal, greatly reducing the actual cost of the vehicle. And hence the taxable portion?

What I mean is, we all know that in the US, when you buy the car, it includes u limited and free use of their charging network. What if that wasn't rolled in to the sale price here, but available as a separate, post delivery purchase? Oh, the 60kW base model is already like that isn't it?

Is that the same as what you are referring to as Mark E's suggestion?

Last edited:
Could they market the supercharger access and required components as a very expensive lifetime subscription type deal, greatly reducing the actual cost of the vehicle. And hence the taxable portion?

What I mean is, we all know that in the US, when you buy the car, it includes u limited and free use of their charging network. What if that wasn't rolled in to the sale price here, but available as a separate, post delivery purchase? Oh, the 60kW base model is already like that isn't it?

Is that the same as what you are referring to as Mark E's suggestion?

Close - although what I was shooting for was also to have things like the Tech pack as a separate option. The issue here is whether or not they want to annoy a govt department that they are lobbying for favours - i.e. higher LCT etc. Overall my absolute preferred option is to get the LCT adjusted to be $100k or non-applicable. Since I will be using the car for business, it works out revenue neutral for the govt over 5 years as an ICE owner gets to claim fuel whereas the Tesla fuel costs are negligible in comparison.

I agree that our anti-anything-green coal and gas sponsored government would not see the CO2 reductions as an improvement, however there is a good case to argue about air quality, noise, and even better - energy independence. With local refineries closing at a rapid rate of knots (another in QLD mooted), then being able to power cars from 100% local energy could be a big positive.