Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heh, I thought it was all pretty even across the board for us, apart from ACT having stamp duty exempt on EV's.

Scrap that though, Tesla site in Australia is showing the design studio for me on my phone!

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

let's you choose between performance or not, colours roof etc. but no selection of options yet.

Did you notice that the carbon finish is now included in the same price as the wood grain? Bonanza!

The veneer on the substrate is a MAXIMUM of 1mm thick!!! irrespective of finish. That IS official. That 1mm includes adhesive and varnish!! The substrate is a plastic ABS material.

See my post a few pages back - from Last Friday, a communication from Jerome Guillen, VP of sales and service, "Pricing and configurator for Australia is days away". Yes, the delay has been due to the vagaries of the Australian pricing or rather, taxing, system. This has led to programming difficulty and consequently delay. We should, apparently still get our cars when HK does.....
I am still hoping for pricing this week... hopefully if it IS tomorrow, then we won't be hit with the Aprils fools day thing. But then Tomorrow is still the 31st in the USA!!

I think I have a pretty big lead on pricing...

Go to Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Choose your poison (performance)

Right click and choose view source. (I'm using chrome)

You'll see loads of references to options, including prices.

an excerpt:

{\"pricing_date\":\"3\/31\/2014 8:59 PM\",\"currency_code\":\"AUD\",\"vat_percent\":0.00,\"models\":{\"ms\":{\"base_price\":69900.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY\",

WAY more info there that I've only just started looking at.

I think I have a pretty big lead on pricing...

Go to Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Choose your poison (performance)

Right click and choose view source. (I'm using chrome)

You'll see loads of references to options, including prices.

an excerpt:

{\"pricing_date\":\"3\/31\/2014 8:59 PM\",\"currency_code\":\"AUD\",\"vat_percent\":0.00,\"models\":{\"ms\":{\"base_price\":69900.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY\",

WAY more info there that I've only just started looking at.

Awesome work! - looks like the two models base price is 94900 & 105400. - Does this mean no 60kw?

Just waiting for pricing before placing an order!

I was going off the lines..

\"base_price\":94900.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY\",\"options\":{\"COL1\":
\"base_price\":105400.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY\",\"options\":{\"COL0\"

Seem to fit the reasonableness test. Having a guess at matching the add-ons to codes many of them seem to be 1:1 with US pricing, with a few exceptions where Aust is a little higher.

e.g. SU01 priced at $950 would seem to be the subzero package etc
{\"price_indicator\":\"Included\",\"price\":0.00,\"list_price\":0.00,\"is_default\":true},\"AU01\":{\"price_indicator\":\"Optional\",\"price\":950.00,\"list_price\":950.00,\"is_default\":false},\"SU01\":

I guess it doesn't clear up where LCT; GST & on-roads fit the picture - i.e. are they included or to be added to the total?

I guess the main thing is that pricing must be very close to being publicly available.

I was going off the lines..

\"base_price\":94900.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY\",\"options\":{\"COL1\":
\"base_price\":105400.00,\"price_book_name\":\"AU 2013 JULY\",\"options\":{\"COL0\"

Seem to fit the reasonableness test. Having a guess at matching the add-ons to codes many of them seem to be 1:1 with US pricing, with a few exceptions where Aust is a little higher.

e.g. SU01 priced at $950 would seem to be the subzero package etc
{\"price_indicator\":\"Included\",\"price\":0.00,\"list_price\":0.00,\"is_default\":true},\"AU01\":{\"price_indicator\":\"Optional\",\"price\":950.00,\"list_price\":950.00,\"is_default\":false},\"SU01\":

I guess it doesn't clear up where LCT; GST & on-roads fit the picture - i.e. are they included or to be added to the total?

I guess the main thing is that pricing must be very close to being publicly available.

I hadn't seen those lines you just quoted, but using ctrl+F I can see four 'base prices';

base_price\":69900.00
base_price\":94900.00
base_price\":95400.00
base_price\":105400.00

Could we be seeing pricing on four variants? S60, S85, P85, P85+? afterthought: The large gap in those prices above 69900 would support LCT being included

This seems to support my theory of the S60 basic version being priced under LCT threshold.. how many of those extras are able to be installed after the orginal purchase? tech package?

Also of note...

"pricing_date\":\"4\/1\/2014 12:48

When I noticed this this afternoon, it was showing yesterdays date.

My main take home is the same as yours... It's happening soon!

Last edited:
I actually mean raising the LCT threshold for EVs. That would have the combined effect of increasing the depreciation threshold. EVs are discriminated against if you use one for business - with an ICE you get to claim fuel and maintenance. The numbers between the $55k & $75k thresholds for ICE cars work out very closely to the same amount claimed on tax over 4 years, whereas the EV should really be at $100k to be equal.

I don't know alexeiw123, If the Luxury tax is 33%, and the gap between a S60 & a S85 is 10k in the US, you would expect the difference to be about 13k here. I guess if they stripped every possible option out of the S60 and added in a few US-optionals as included on the P85 it may get the gap, but it seems to be too big. All will be revealed soon I guess.

mark E - would be an interesting one trying to claim part of the home electricity as a work expense (instead of the petrol) . I think a whole new world of car charging log books would await!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, just before each of those base_prices, there is a few characters:- ms; msp; msg; msgp.

If you google "Tesla MSGP", you get a link http://www.teslamotors.com/en_DK/models/design/share/?model=msgp&options=WTSP%2CIDCF%2CCOL1-PBSB%2CRFBC%2CIZMB which points to it being a signature performance

Replace msgp in the URL above with MSG and you get signature model. ms = base model & MSP = performance model

So it does start to look like those are the four base prices!

I don't know alexeiw123, If the Luxury tax is 33%, and the gap between a S60 & a S85 is 10k in the US, you would expect the difference to be about 13k here. I guess if they stripped every possible option out of the S60 and added in a few US-optionals as included on the P85 it may get the gap, but it seems to be too big. All will be revealed soon I guess.

mark E - would be an interesting one trying to claim part of the home electricity as a work expense (instead of the petrol) . I think a whole new world of car charging log books would await!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, just before each of those base_prices, there is a few characters:- ms; msp; msg; msgp.

If you google "Tesla MSGP", you get a link Check Out My Model S | Design Studio | Tesla Motors which points to it being a signature performance

Replace msgp in the URL above with MSG and you get signature model. ms = base model & MSP = performance model

So it does start to look like those are the four base prices!

That's some nice sleuthing! maybe there's only 2 models coming to us, in sig and non sig variations. maybe they've only priced 2 models so far?

I find it highly unlikely that the base price for any Model S here would be $69,900 - considering that's the exact base price in the USA :p

Haha! I hadn't noticed that! Seems too big of a coincidence! perhaps they are just still working on it and using the US page HTML as a template :tongue:

There is an interesting story on Carsales published a couple of days ago.
Tesla hoses fire fears - carsales.com.au
It's ostensibly about how Tesla have handled the fire issue but at the end of the article it quotes "Pricing announcements will first be made to Australian deposit holders direct from Tesla. Later (approximately two weeks say company insiders), public announcements will be made via Tesla website."
So we may find out directly before the web site is live.

That's some nice sleuthing! maybe there's only 2 models coming to us, in sig and non sig variations. maybe they've only priced 2 models so far?

Haha! I hadn't noticed that! Seems too big of a coincidence! perhaps they are just still working on it and using the US page HTML as a template :tongue:

Lazy web designers :tongue:

It would be great if it indeed was 69990: under the LCT and so cheap they'll sell thousands of them. OH well we can dream but reality will wake me up next week when the $100K price tag is revealed. :(

- - - Updated - - -

The page is definitely a copy paste form the US, but interestingly there is a reference to AUD in the pricing block which is USD on the US site which means whatever content management system they're using obviously has the AUD function. Seems strange they'd leave all the pricing options in unchanged in the code. The price box code (that shows cash price and finance monthly rate) is there but just with no "stuff" in it to present other than reserve yours.