Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooo, is it today? Tomorrow's a public holiday, although that probably isn't a concern for Tesla.

All of these delays are getting compounded on one another and I'm starting to wonder whether I actually have a shot of getting a vehicle this year. I need a second car, and soon. If I can't get some sort of reassurance there's a vehicle coming then I may end up having to buy something else (only having one car is becoming problematic). This will save me about $100000 as I wouldn't buy anything remotely equivalent to the Model S, but it would mean I wouldn't have an electric car for another 5 years or so as I buy cars with a 10 year outlook (and my other car is now 5 years old).

I've only been in the queue since November. I can't imagine how frustrating it's been for the early sign-up crowd.

Just a question. If 3phase charging was to happen how would it work?

I'm reading your post as; 2 onboard single phase chargers at 40amps each.
And the supercharger bypasses the onboard charger to put dc straight to the battery.

So does that mean tesla just need to make a 3phase to DC external charger?
The situation in Australia sounds like rather the situation in Hong Kong and UK. The car has a Type-2 inlet which is 3-phase capable, but they are changing up the provided charging systems compared to the rest of Europe (which is the only active Tesla market with 3-phase charging). Hong Kong and China will have a Tesla (Low Power) Wall Connector, which can be configured for 10A, 16A, 32A, or 40A at 220VAC split phase or single phase. This unit does not exist in other markets yet. In UK, they are dropping the Mobile Connector and instead providing a Type-2 to Type-2 cable for use with the EVSEs that are common in Europe while recommending having the UK subsidized (free) EVSE installed at home.

The chargers in the car are actually 16A x 3 per on-board charger for a total maximum of 11kW for single charger and 22kW for dual charger cars at 230VAC phase to neutral voltage (also called 400VAC 3-ph). The EU cars are temporarily limited to 13A per charger on single phase supply. They need a junction box in the car to be replaced so that higher current single phase power can be routed to all three phases of the on-board charger(s) when necessary. This junction box currently does the switching between AC charging mode and DC charging mode. In any case, you can use a commercial 3-phase EVSE to charge the car but Tesla will not be providing any solution along those lines for the foreseeable future. The previously announced HPWC for EU, which is presumably 3-phase, has no release date. I don't know if these EVSEs are distributed in Australia like they are in the EU since the AU market is so immature.

External AC to DC vehicle chargers only exist as CHAdeMO or Combo plug commercial stations, at a very high price. Well, there are Superchargers too, of course.

Last edited:
Hi all

Long...long time reader 1st time poster. Have been following this thread in the shadows since it began.

I'm in the same boat as NewcastleJustin as I was recently on a skiing holiday in Hakuba Japan then spent 3 days in Tokyo. It didn't dawn on me until we got there that the hotel was within walking distance of the Tesla showroom!

When we got there it was closed *tears* but I could see through the glass a spotless maroon model s in all her glory *heart flutter*

So I stood & stared... Took photos...& thought that would be my only Tesla exposure. *sigh*

When walking away I saw an alley way down the side of the showroom & went for a wander... turned a corner & there they were. ..2 model s! White & dark silver. I could actually touch!!!...& touch I did.

After the plethora of photos taken from every angle (remembering these needed to get me through until I could own 1 of my very own) it was time to go.

Being cheeky before I left I touched the door handle on the silver model s & knew nothing would happen but still deep down there was hope those handles would pop out & I could sit inside but no.

My m8 then asked me how the doors work if there's no handles - explanation provided re handles present when touched or automagically if key fob in pocket.

"Oh so like this?" He says - touching the white model s & sees her handles present... *faints*

I had that door open & was inside in a heart beat! I don't remember much of the next few minutes...I think I transcended to some alternate reality...I do remember the charging meter had 504km range - impressive!

While all this was happening one of my other mates had continued to wander solo & found an open door to a lift (the dealership has the model s on display at street level but the showroom is upstairs) he returned & said he'd spoken to the staff & the showroom would be open soon! *giddy*

This gave me some time to get to know the car - get a feel for the menus etc - freakin fantastic! Short lived tho with the manager standing over me in the drivers seat with the look of "who the hell are you & why are you sitting in a car I know isn't yours"...

The response - "it's ok we're Australian & came to Tokyo just to see a model s!" worked a charm & we all made our way upto the showroom where staff answered any questions I had & I bought literally every piece of Tesla merchandise they had - jackets, jumpers, hats, water canisters, cups, blankets. The staff were fantastic & really proud to be selling the model s in Japan.

I didn't get a test drive but they gave me a consolation prize - free merchandise!

I know this car will be a stretch for many people but I'm committed to being an early adopter & want Tesla to succeed - im over pouring fossil fuel week after week into Precious...I mean my car & cant wait to use my solar output to literally use gallons of light to power the model s!

We're coming to crunch time now & I just hope Tesla find a way to make it within people's reach so more can enjoy what they've created.

Cheers all!

Cain

OK so apparently the pricing is tied to the relaunch of the new website, and that may be delayed. So we might be looking at mid next week...

This is disappointing. Really disappointing.

I have a continuous nagging fear that Tesla are suddenly going to announce that they've decided that Australia is too small a market for the Model S and they've decided to withdraw (I wouldn't blame them - there's no way they'll make any serious profit here until the 3rd gen model comes out). I really want something concrete so I don't have this worry any more.

Quick question, I am just about to wire my 6K deposit through, does anyone know if it is AUD or USD? I can't find any info on in.

In fact if I click "reserve" on the website I now get a 503. Often a sign of an impending website update?

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question, I am just about to wire my 6K deposit through, does anyone know if it is AUD or USD? I can't find any info on in.

In fact if I click "reserve" on the website I now get a 503. Often a sign of an impending website update?

Ignore me - the website is now back up again and answers my question - AUD.

This is disappointing. Really disappointing.

I have a continuous nagging fear that Tesla are suddenly going to announce that they've decided that Australia is too small a market for the Model S and they've decided to withdraw (I wouldn't blame them - there's no way they'll make any serious profit here until the 3rd gen model comes out). I really want something concrete so I don't have this worry any more.

They wouldn't have flown out Stone and gotten him busily hiring and signing leases if they were about to pull out of Australia. They know we are a sizeable and wealthy market and they definitely want a piece of it.

Nice Cain!

I love these stories...
Hopefully when I go to the US in June I will have one of my own :)

Supposedly they will have a test drive car in Melbourne in June - but you may want to set up a test drive in the US. I tried this last time I was in the US but the salesman would not let me drive as I did not have an American licence "and the insurance does not cover them". Stone said that he will set up a for me next time I am in Denver (October). I may take this up - whilst a car will be in Melbourne "in June" there are usually several models at a sales store in the US so I will be able to get a better feel for the options and may be lucky enough (probably will need to be very lucky!) to try out the different suspensions.

Cheers
David

OK so apparently the pricing is tied to the relaunch of the new website, and that may be delayed. So we might be looking at mid next week...
This is simply ridiculous!! The vice president of sales and service internationally can't give an accurate timing? He has told me various things which i have published here. So, this is REALLY BAD! Keeping us all in suspense is really VERY UNCOOL!! A simple group email to long term reservation holders giving us at least basic prices and official release timing seems to be beyond them? The global comment from current owners in the States seems to be "this is what Tesla does" get used to it, the car will be worth it in the end.
Maybe so, but a run-around like this leaves an extraordinarily bad taste in the mouth.

If they said anything more definite then we would tear them to pieces when circumstances forced them to change - and something unexpected always does happen. With a product launch you are always optimistic but try to keep your options open just in case.....

We are very close to having pricing announced - availability may be another matter. They have just launched in China http://rt.com/business/154264-tesla-comes-to-china/ so we it does seem to be getting closer!

Cheers
David

Further to the article on rt.com on the China launch I note this quote:

We’ve delayed some of the customer deliveries just for a few months in order to ensure that when they got their car they would have a great experience and some of them were a bit upset about that,” the Financial Times quotes Musk. “I met with them earlier today and apologized. . . I think we’ve resolved the issue.”

Cheers
David

- - - Updated - - -

Further to the article on rt.com on the China launch I note this quote:

PS: I gather the launch was yesterday. It appears if I post the live link I get moderated so expect an earlier post to pop up later!

Cheers
David