Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow Tesla lovers - time for confession from me! I have been very keen for the Model S in Australia for sometime now, and have been following the news and this thread with great anticipation. I have placed a reservation for the 85 (just need to push the payment through this week, coming from my small business I need signatories). Now, I travel for work and arrived in London yesterday for a week. My first stop was Westfield to see one in the flesh. I was so excited, they look better in the flesh than even in the pics and videos! Although there was a crowd and I didn't get to sit in the driver's seat, I told the guy in the shop that I was an Aussie who had placed a reservation and he offered me a test drive! So I got to have a drive of one yesterday... And let me echo what you all think and that is that it's worth the wait. Unbelievable car in all aspects. I was almost finished my drive and he said "you have not put your foot down yet" - I was in the standard 85 so did so (not even foot to the floor). You should have seen my smile....

Also worthy of note: according to the guy who I test drove with (sorry can't remember his name) the issue with the delay has been production of RHD models. Added to the fact that the UK now has 600+ reservations, and they are first off the rank starting next month. According to him this is followed by China, then Hong Kong, then Australia. I guess I am keen for pricing but not holding my breath to get one this side of November at the earliest (that is just my speculation, which he agreed with).

Anyway know that there is yet another person eagerly awaiting Australian pricing and release date. :)

Fellow Tesla lovers - time for confession from me! I have been very keen for the Model S in Australia for sometime now, and have been following the news and this thread with great anticipation. I have placed a reservation for the 85 (just need to push the payment through this week, coming from my small business I need signatories). Now, I travel for work and arrived in London yesterday for a week. My first stop was Westfield to see one in the flesh. I was so excited, they look better in the flesh than even in the pics and videos! Although there was a crowd and I didn't get to sit in the driver's seat, I told the guy in the shop that I was an Aussie who had placed a reservation and he offered me a test drive! So I got to have a drive of one yesterday... And let me echo what you all think and that is that it's worth the wait. Unbelievable car in all aspects. I was almost finished my drive and he said "you have not put your foot down yet" - I was in the standard 85 so did so (not even foot to the floor). You should have seen my smile....

Also worthy of note: according to the guy who I test drove with (sorry can't remember his name) the issue with the delay has been production of RHD models. Added to the fact that the UK now has 600+ reservations, and they are first off the rank starting next month. According to him this is followed by China, then Hong Kong, then Australia. I guess I am keen for pricing but not holding my breath to get one this side of November at the earliest (that is just my speculation, which he agreed with).

Anyway know that there is yet another person eagerly awaiting Australian pricing and release date. :)
was your drive in a RHD vehicle?

Great story Justin - congrats on getting to test drive it :) I saw one in Copenhagen and instantly fell in love too, wish I could have taken it for a test drive.

I'll be happy if it comes before Christmas, would be a fantastic pressie :)

Welcome and congrats NewcastleJustin,
My test drive was @ Palo Alto in August 2012, and I still remember when Jay said "put your foot down" :).
As you have just ordered we would be interested to know what is your reservation number so we can get a handle on how many Australian Model S orders there are.

I too have been lurking here for a while trying to make up my mind :)

Two great things in your post NewcastleJustin: 1 is that the Standard 85 performance impressed you (not sure I can stretch to the P85) and 2, I'm assuming by your name there might be at least two Model S's on the streets of Newcastle (in many, many months time).

Well, it seems we are NOT going to be getting 3 phase charging at home here. (at least, not at this time). This is the latest from Tesla Australia. However, if you can install single phase up to 80 amps, then this can be used by the twin onboard chargers, or up to 40 amps (most likely) then single charger will do the job.

Well, it seems we are NOT going to be getting 3 phase charging at home here. (at least, not at this time). This is the latest from Tesla Australia. However, if you can install single phase up to 80 amps, then this can be used by the twin onboard chargers, or up to 40 amps (most likely) then single charger will do the job.

Just a question. If 3phase charging was to happen how would it work?

I'm reading your post as; 2 onboard single phase chargers at 40amps each.
And the supercharger bypasses the onboard charger to put dc straight to the battery.

So does that mean tesla just need to make a 3phase to DC external charger?

was your drive in a RHD vehicle?

No it was not. They had no RHD vehicles there (even in the retail store). It was a pretty cool setup though - a single vehicle in the shop, and several in the carpark rigged to chargers for test drives. Interestingly there had been two of them crashed/damaged in test drives recently and had been shipped back to Europe for repairs.

- - - Updated - - -

Two great things in your post NewcastleJustin: 1 is that the Standard 85 performance impressed you (not sure I can stretch to the P85) and 2, I'm assuming by your name there might be at least two Model S's on the streets of Newcastle (in many, many months time).

Yes that's right, sort of. I am near Morisset which is on the southern fringes of Newcastle but come into Newie a fair bit. Sounds great!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's right, sort of. I am near Morisset which is on the southern fringes of Newcastle but come into Newie a fair bit. Sounds great!

Just a question. If 3phase charging was to happen how would it work?

I'm reading your post as; 2 onboard single phase chargers at 40amps each.
And the supercharger bypasses the onboard charger to put dc straight to the battery.

So does that mean tesla just need to make a 3phase to DC external charger?
Not sure of the technical side, but the type 2 connector which will come with our cars is capable of accepting 3 phase. "A Type 2 charge port on Model S can handle 3-phase, but we do not have a 3-phase home charging option at this time.". It seems that the car itself will not. A wall connector will be provided for Australia, but they aren't yet produced for Australia. They will be a few weeks before delivery, and so that is how we will connect at home. Regarding mobile charging, and i quote "I don't have information regarding mobile charging at this time though."

I was told that three phase charging would be supported with the twin charger whilst chatting to the guy on my test drive, quoted for the 85 as a 4 hour full charge. He might have been mistaken though, not sure.

I was told that three phase charging would be supported with the twin charger whilst chatting to the guy on my test drive, quoted for the 85 as a 4 hour full charge. He might have been mistaken though, not sure.
it seems to vary by country. The charging in the UK is not the same as in Europe. The reason given to me by Jerome for the current delay in releasing pricing is that they were finalizing charging for Australia, which did have an impact on price.

I'm not sure about the need for twin chargers other than future proofing for travelling. A 32A connection at home would be find for me - that's still just on 10 hours overnight for a 75kWh charge. The real push would be determined by charging capabilities that are installed other than superchargers - i.e. the twin chargers may be a useful thing for long trips.

As for internet radio, I suspect Spotify -since it's already running here.

From a 3 phase perspective, wouldn't that be handled by the high power wall charger?

Hopefully you will see quite a few Model S's in Newcastle, it should be within range for a day drive up the F3 (sorry M1) from Sydney without the need for a charge for the trip home. It is certainly one of my targets! A photo of a gaggle of Model S's with Nobbys in the background would be great?

Hopefully you will see quite a few Model S's in Newcastle, it should be within range for a day drive up the F3 (sorry M1) from Sydney without the need for a charge for the trip home. It is certainly one of my targets! A photo of a gaggle of Model S's with Nobbys in the background would be great?

I'll be doing that trip quite often so look out for a Sig red with a custom number plate.

I'm not sure about the need for twin chargers other than future proofing for travelling. A 32A connection at home would be find for me - that's still just on 10 hours overnight for a 75kWh charge. The real push would be determined by charging capabilities that are installed other than superchargers - i.e. the twin chargers may be a useful thing for long trips.

As for internet radio, I suspect Spotify -since it's already running here.

From a 3 phase perspective, wouldn't that be handled by the high power wall charger?

Spotify would be perfect for me, I already have an account.
I'm building my house so whatever the charging requirements are, I'll be able to incorporate it