Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
meloccom - interesting to see your VIN number. mine is 46612. i confirmed within an hour or two of the prices coming on line on the 29/5/14. Could we really have well over 300 vehicles from Australia? Or are there HK, Japan and China numbers in there too? I see you confirmed a few days after me.
I think we had about 200 production orders, just prior to pricing. No idea about Sigs, you may know better.
I delayed until I could get Stone to bring his blue Model S to my garage to have a "test park" in my limited garage space. It actually fits quite well so I confirmed soon after.
I'm pretty sure they reserved a batch of VINs for Asia including Australia as my VIN was there the next time I looked the morning after I confirmed.:biggrin:

meloccom - interesting to see your VIN number. mine is 46612. i confirmed within an hour or two of the prices coming on line on the 29/5/14. Could we really have well over 300 vehicles from Australia? Or are there HK, Japan and China numbers in there too? I see you confirmed a few days after me.

VINs are global so that would include all worldwide confirmations during that time.

Hey guys did you see this anywhere else?

"Tesla is also working on a self-driving feature for freeways that would work like automatic pilot on aircraft, although still requiring drivers to pay attention."

http://www.freep.com/article/20140608/BUSINESS0104/306080144/Tesla-makes-improvements-Model-S-electric-car

Elon mentioned this to a question at the recent shareholder meeting. He believes they are working on technology where you could drive from ramp to ramp without operating any controls.

Crazy

I cannot believe this.
i was very adamant that QLD sun was a deterrent for non pano roof option and hated the LCT for adding Performance plus, but I succumbed to this stupid forum and signed up for both last night after confirming my order carefully 10 days ago. Thank you boys and girls. Love your effort!
Plus local channel 7 wants to do a piece on my car on delivery day. It helps to know the anchor.
now, let me work extra hours to pay for these items
Love you all

I cannot believe this.
i was very adamant that QLD sun was a deterrent for non pano roof option and hated the LCT for adding Performance plus, but I succumbed to this stupid forum and signed up for both last night after confirming my order carefully 10 days ago. Thank you boys and girls. Love your effort!
Plus local channel 7 wants to do a piece on my car on delivery day. It helps to know the anchor.
Love you all
Congrats. Have you added your details to the list?

I cannot believe this.
Love you all
:)

I was adamant that I'd only get a mildly spec'd S85 and ended up with a mostly spec'd P85! It was so easy to do just clicking a few options on the design studio - just have to figure out how to pay for it now. But you only live once and this car is the one to go silly with as we'll all share (and enjoy) a glimpse of the future.

I am not sure if we need a separate thread for this.

In NSW the government has proposed changes to the registration of vehicles. Comment is accepted at

The future of vehicle registration in NSW | Transport for NSW.

There are many issues but of concern is that the government has proposed to classify registration by weight, so because electric cars are heavy, and they might be penalised. Clearly a very poorly thought out concept since the site emphasises environment and safety and Teslas score very highly in both areas in part by using heavy batteries. The concern is also described by Giles Parkinson at

NSW green car discount plan could penalise EV drivers : Renew Economy

It would help if everybody in NSW made submissions to the government site and also expressed an opinion to the NRMA by contacting the NRMA.

Cecilia Warren
Government Relations Manager
NRMA Insurance
[email protected]
02 92921742

Apart from the weight
issue there are a number of issues and to help, I quote here DBorn's lengthy submission

PREAMBLE ( responses to specific questions follows)
Specifically relating to electric vehicles ( battery electric - NO petrol or diesel supplement), the trend internationally is to encourage uptake of these vehicles by means of various incentives. The most progressive of these is in Norway, where ALL VAT is removed. Other incentives include use of bus lanes, reduced registration fees, freedom from congestion tax ( London), dedicated parking spaces, rebates or exclusion of parking fees in public car parks, provision of electric vehicle charging points in car parks and the like.
Specifically regarding the Tesla Model S which will be introduced within the next month or two, this has been rated the safest car in America, with NOT A SINGLE FATALITY OR SERIOUS INJURY since the vehicle was introduced in mid 2012. There are more than 25000 of these cars on the road in the USA. They have driven many Million miles to date.
The vehicle is a heavy car given the large battery. Otherwise it is built of aluminium for weight reduction purposes.
There is obviously no tail pipe emissions. The car uses electricity which can be generated either by coal, solar, or hydroelectric. Charging can be carried out in the off peak hours when base load is often wasted, and in that sense contributes positively to pollution reduction. If charged from solar or hydro, there is zero pollution.
The cars contribute positively to balance of trade and energy security since no imported fossil fuel is required. There is negligible maintenance required including brakes, since with regenerative braking, they are hardly used. In fact, windscreen washer fluid is the only fluid that needs to be topped up.
There is positive benefit to the electricity generators in this state as mentioned above, which in turn flows on to coal miners and jobs within the state.
The vehicles virtually eliminate noise pollution.
The Tesla vehicle will come with a " Supercharger" network to allow long distance driving. These superchargers will be located at sites of commerce along arterial routes as they are in the USA and in Europe. In turn, those businesses experience a boost in trade - be they restaurants or other types of shops. All contributing to job security in this State.
At present, the only incentive in Australia is the higher threshold for luxury car tax. There are NO state incentives.
In my submission, there needs to be a drastic reduction in stamp duty, and registration cost, as well as other non financial incentives such as bus lane usage. ( similar to California's HOV lane ).

At present, stamp duty is a tax on a tax on a tax. ( GST, LCT). This is totally iniquitous. For that matter, GST AND LCT are charged on the landed price of the vehicle. That is including shipping and marine insurance. That too is iniquitous and that iniquity carries through to stamp duty. This is one major reason why cars here are amongst the most expensive in the world.

IN RESPONSE TO SPECIFIC QUESTIONS

1)this seems reasonable, but should also have concessions for electric vehicles built in.
2) yes. Same comment as above.
3)yes. Major benefit to the community including reduced hospital/ medical costs.
4) yes, but compatible rating systems such as NHTSA safety ratings in The USA, should have equal weight if that is all that Australian compliance requires.
5) yes
6) no objection
7) based entirely on vehicles emissions. Multiple energy sources can be used, including 100% non polluting ones.
8) not applicable to me.
9) 20% weight, 50% safety, 30% environmental.
10) yes, but see my preamble.
11) yes, but retrospective to 1/6/14.
12) stamp duty certainly needs serious modification, and should NOT be a tax on a tax on a tax. Environmental and safety factors should play the major part in consideration of stamp duty. The ACT is the most progressive region, waiving stamp duty altogether on battery electric vehicles.
13) reduced medical costs should be rewarded under a user pays scheme.
14) all further questions were not relevant to my submission.

I am not sure if we need a separate thread for this.

In NSW the government has proposed changes to the registration of vehicles. Comment is accepted at

The future of vehicle registration in NSW | Transport for NSW.

There are many issues but of concern is that the government has proposed to classify registration by weight, so because electric cars are heavy, and they might be penalised. Clearly a very poorly thought out concept since the site emphasises environment and safety and Teslas score very highly in both areas in part by using heavy batteries. The concern is also described by Giles Parkinson at

NSW green car discount plan could penalise EV drivers : Renew Economy

It would help if everybody in NSW made submissions to the government site and also expressed an opinion to the NRMA by contacting the NRMA.

Cecilia Warren
Government Relations Manager
NRMA Insurance
[email protected]
02 92921742

Apart from the weight
issue there are a number of issues and to help, I quote here DBorn's lengthy submission

PREAMBLE ( responses to specific questions follows)
Specifically relating to electric vehicles ( battery electric - NO petrol or diesel supplement), the trend internationally is to encourage uptake of these vehicles by means of various incentives. The most progressive of these is in Norway, where ALL VAT is removed. Other incentives include use of bus lanes, reduced registration fees, freedom from congestion tax ( London), dedicated parking spaces, rebates or exclusion of parking fees in public car parks, provision of electric vehicle charging points in car parks and the like.
Specifically regarding the Tesla Model S which will be introduced within the next month or two, this has been rated the safest car in America, with NOT A SINGLE FATALITY OR SERIOUS INJURY since the vehicle was introduced in mid 2012. There are more than 25000 of these cars on the road in the USA. They have driven many Million miles to date.
The vehicle is a heavy car given the large battery. Otherwise it is built of aluminium for weight reduction purposes.
There is obviously no tail pipe emissions. The car uses electricity which can be generated either by coal, solar, or hydroelectric. Charging can be carried out in the off peak hours when base load is often wasted, and in that sense contributes positively to pollution reduction. If charged from solar or hydro, there is zero pollution.
The cars contribute positively to balance of trade and energy security since no imported fossil fuel is required. There is negligible maintenance required including brakes, since with regenerative braking, they are hardly used. In fact, windscreen washer fluid is the only fluid that needs to be topped up.
There is positive benefit to the electricity generators in this state as mentioned above, which in turn flows on to coal miners and jobs within the state.
The vehicles virtually eliminate noise pollution.
The Tesla vehicle will come with a " Supercharger" network to allow long distance driving. These superchargers will be located at sites of commerce along arterial routes as they are in the USA and in Europe. In turn, those businesses experience a boost in trade - be they restaurants or other types of shops. All contributing to job security in this State.
At present, the only incentive in Australia is the higher threshold for luxury car tax. There are NO state incentives.
In my submission, there needs to be a drastic reduction in stamp duty, and registration cost, as well as other non financial incentives such as bus lane usage. ( similar to California's HOV lane ).

At present, stamp duty is a tax on a tax on a tax. ( GST, LCT). This is totally iniquitous. For that matter, GST AND LCT are charged on the landed price of the vehicle. That is including shipping and marine insurance. That too is iniquitous and that iniquity carries through to stamp duty. This is one major reason why cars here are amongst the most expensive in the world.

IN RESPONSE TO SPECIFIC QUESTIONS

1)this seems reasonable, but should also have concessions for electric vehicles built in.
2) yes. Same comment as above.
3)yes. Major benefit to the community including reduced hospital/ medical costs.
4) yes, but compatible rating systems such as NHTSA safety ratings in The USA, should have equal weight if that is all that Australian compliance requires.
5) yes
6) no objection
7) based entirely on vehicles emissions. Multiple energy sources can be used, including 100% non polluting ones.
8) not applicable to me.
9) 20% weight, 50% safety, 30% environmental.
10) yes, but see my preamble.
11) yes, but retrospective to 1/6/14.
12) stamp duty certainly needs serious modification, and should NOT be a tax on a tax on a tax. Environmental and safety factors should play the major part in consideration of stamp duty. The ACT is the most progressive region, waiving stamp duty altogether on battery electric vehicles.
13) reduced medical costs should be rewarded under a user pays scheme.
14) all further questions were not relevant to my submission.

Great post, I have already been thinking of things to write in as a response for myself, as soon as time allows. The submission is open until the 24th, which leaves me some time as I have some uni exams next week and a busy week at work.

Maybe a way to do this would be to form a group response, full of facts such as you've mentioned in your posts, that could be signed by all members that agree. A TMC petition of sorts. In fact, there's no reason why other EV clubs, climate change groups etc. would not share similar views.

I did a quick search on change.org and actually couldn't see any australian EV incentive related posts, but maybe that's getting too far off the issue of registration alone. My point being that to make reasonable changes to promote EV uptake, we may need to stamp our feet a bit, seems like the legislation is not going to come on it's own as it has in other countries.

Just an update

According to Elon Model S has now collectively travelled 344 million miles with no serious permanent injuries for the occupants.

http://www.torquenews.com/2250/uss-tesla-motors-remains-course-some-interesting-surprises

I haven't heard of a driver or passenger fatality in a Leaf or Volt either.

I cannot believe this.
Love you all

Would be happy to join you when you do your Channel 7 thing.......mine is yet to be confirmed white S85.

Regarding registration of our vehicles once they land in Australia - I'm assuming that Tesla will handle this? I've only bought one car before this one and the dealer dealt with all that - registration, non-custom number plate etc, I would expect the same from Tesla? Anybody know?

Since the price paid to Tesla includes the cost of registration, it's reasonable to expect that they are handling this as any other dealer would.

Last edited:
I have been a Tesla enthusiast since I saw the first story about Elon Musk and the Roadster quite a few years ago. Congrats to all of you who are able to purchase the Model S in 2014. Unfortunately, it is out of my budget range but with my current car due to be replaced somewhere between 2018 and 2022, I always remain hopeful that a Tesla will be in my garage by that time.

I have been a Tesla enthusiast since I saw the first story about Elon Musk and the Roadster quite a few years ago. Congrats to all of you who are able to purchase the Model S in 2014. Unfortunately, it is out of my budget range but with my current car due to be replaced somewhere between 2018 and 2022, I always remain hopeful that a Tesla will be in my garage by that time.

Don't worry - I'm sure you will have a Tesla in your garage before then. I'm sure in a few years time they will offer the same dealer car system they have in the US, making Model S much more affordable. Not to mention the new Gen III that will be out in 3 years' time.

Hmm. Still "sourcing parts". If they plan a release date in July, it is getting awfully tight. If they HAVE booked a ship, then there is still time. If not . . forget it. And, of course, as is usual from Tesla HQ, radio silence.

We are getting the same information as everyone else on the planet who has a reservation, why would you expect us to be different?