Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Isbrown, Good to see another Melbourne person, I`m told I`m no #17 on the list for Aus delivery but starting to worry the slide in our dollar will make it unaffordable for me. Anyhow I`ll keep hoping. This is the first blog site I`ve ever been on so still trying to work it all out. I gather there are a few more Melbourne people around too so G`day to you all.

Welcome impizzed,
You can learn a lot about the Model S on this forum if you haven't been lurking before.
We are in a similar situation, I placed my order in June 2012 when A$1 was US$1.05, so hoping I can afford it too
Tell us when you first heard about the Model S and when you placed your order.

I'm new around here as well. I'm based in Melbourne too and I'm watching the USD/AUD rate very very closely. It will determine whether I can actually afford one or not. Well that and my wife... and my accountant.... . I'm a long way down the line though at #125. I may not even make the cut for the first production run which would be a shame as we need a new car and I'm putting off buying one hoping I can get a Model S.
Hopefully there will be enough Melbourne interest to justify some charging infrastructure being built. Does anyone know if the rear-facing child seats are going to be approved in Australia?

Hello Isbrown, Good to see another Melbourne person, I`m told I`m no #17 on the list for Aus delivery but starting to worry the slide in our dollar will make it unaffordable for me. Anyhow I`ll keep hoping. This is the first blog site I`ve ever been on so still trying to work it all out. I gather there are a few more Melbourne people around too so G`day to you all.

Hello there Impizzed. Yes, another Melbournian. I registered in Pound Sterling way back in 2009, when the only way you could register RHD vehicles for Aus was via the Tesla UK website. I must say I have no idea now about what the pricing will be, which is to say pretty much the same as 5 years ago! Tesla have confirmed in writing that I'm #1 on their list for Aus. Hope I can afford it when the final pricing is worked out! I test drove the car in the US a couple of years ago, and must say I was pretty impressed. But the more there is silence from the company re their Aussie launch the less enthusiastic I become. It's not hard to stay in touch with people if you really want to. And holding on to those outlying first adopters can't be too hard I think. I've been looking at series hybrids like the bmw i3 and the GM Volt. I'm going to give Tesla another month or two. If there is no communication, I will put in an order for the opposition. I happen to be a believer in the series hybrid model anyway. By the time Tesla launch here maybe they will be 'out of date', or at least, not so special any more. They have told me by June the cars will be here so many times that if it doesn't happen by then, I'm afraid, it is probably all over. Pretty sick of being asked by all my mates when the car will arrive! They know I am enthusiastic enough to fly to the US for a test drive. If you can't hold on to me as a customer what hope have you got?!!

Hi Guys - my name is Ian - also new to the forum and #49 in the Q. I live in Sydney. I sympathise totally and agree that Tesla could be better at keeping us informed - but as a developer/engineer of new products I can also imagine them having to keep a lid on making promises - its very hard to guaranty dates when you are relying on outside suppliers and there are thousands of parts. Also these guys are trying to please the whole world here - if you look at some of the "town hall" type meeting Elon is having, you can just see all the requests they are getting from all angles - I'm frustrated and can't wait too but I also believe they are doing the best they can and will come through soon - hang in there - we'll all look back and laugh in year!

BTW does anyone know if some of the members get together on occasions for a beer or BBQ? Anything like that?

Hi Guys - my name is Ian - also new to the forum and #49 in the Q. I live in Sydney. I sympathise totally and agree that Tesla could be better at keeping us informed - but as a developer/engineer of new products I can also imagine them having to keep a lid on making promises - its very hard to guaranty dates when you are relying on outside suppliers and there are thousands of parts. Also these guys are trying to please the whole world here - if you look at some of the "town hall" type meeting Elon is having, you can just see all the requests they are getting from all angles - I'm frustrated and can't wait too but I also believe they are doing the best they can and will come through soon - hang in there - we'll all look back and laugh in year!

BTW does anyone know if some of the members get together on occasions for a beer or BBQ? Anything like that?
not at present, although I have met one other reservation holder over coffee on one occasion, on the lower North Shore. Probably a fun idea after they announce prices and we all get to actually commit!

Hi Guys - my name is Ian - also new to the forum and #49 in the Q.I reserved early December 2013 - so not as long as some I'm sure - going by your join dates, I imagine its a lot longer for you guys - very frustrating I'm sure!
Welcome, Ian!
Did you reserve a Signature or Production model?

I got "reservation sequence number 99" (Production) mid August 2013 so perhaps you got someone's cancelled slot? Not that I mind, just curious. I expect there will be several hundred arriving by ship at once anyway.

If Tesla won't deliver to NZ then it sounds like 10% of the waiting list has been wiped out! Is it wrong for that to bring me cheer? :wink:

I can't imagine that a 10% reduction will make much difference to when you receive your car - I wouldn't be surprised if they all come over on the same boat actually. Besides, I have a bit of a hunch that you might see a greater number of cancelled reservations after the pricing is announced - particularly for some of the earlier reservation holders, who ordered when our dollar was worth a lot more against the USD.