Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at some point a vehicle will need to be supplied to the authorities for testing to verify Australian design rules compliance. This could be the one. In Hong Kong, all current test drives are on a left hand drive vehicle by special dispensation, I understand.

The vehicle used for compliance testing must be identical to the one going on sale so it could only be RHD.

I think there will probably be a LHD demo in Sydney, as RHD hasn't started rolling off production lines yet, but pricing is due next week. They need something to show...

Search for RHD thread on this forum - there are photos of RHD with VINs that suggest production build spotted at recent factory tours.

Tesla asset lites in Sydney and Melbourne have said test drive cars mid to late May so could be RHD for public test drives?

Search for RHD thread on this forum - there are photos of RHD with VINs that suggest production build spotted at recent factory tours.

Tesla asset lites in Sydney and Melbourne have said test drive cars mid to late May so could be RHD for public test drives?

Yeah saw that but there was only one and the consensus was that it was a test vehicle?

I imagine you would need RHD for public test drives. You could probably give LHD to media for goes around a track or a guided drive + press shots. But anything for the public I imagine would have to be RHD. Anyway I'm just really hoping for pre-October delivery. Anything later than that and I imagine it will get delayed to next year...

Does anyone know if the design rules call for a spare wheel? I certainly hope so!!

Lots of cars don't come with a spare tyre these days. My smart Roadster (MY2004) came with a pump and a can of tyre goo. Most f those that do come with a spare use a spacesaver. Subaru is a notable exception as they have complete road wheels and regular tyres and they are frequent target of car break-ins in order to steal the spare wheel. I would expect that the Tesla solution would be nothing or something like the smart.

Incidentally I received an email yesterday saying that there'll be a test car and office established in Melbourne by the end of May/early June.

None of this is looking good for a June/July delivery is it? Unless they expect people to make purchasing decisions prior to seeing/test-driving a car, I don't see how we can get our cars at the same time as other RHD markets begin to receive theirs.

My email stating there would be a test vehicle in Melbourne in late May said that there would be a vehicle available in Sydney just a few days earlier. I hope I don't end up in the position of having to make a purchase decision prior to seeing one in order to get a timely delivery. I caught a brief glimpse of a white one in Honolulu once and that is as close as I've gotten.

I kind of need a new car asap as we are surviving on just one car at the moment and we really need two. I'd have bought something else months ago if I wasn't hanging out for a Model S! Interestingly I couldn't imagine spending even a quarter of the sum on any other car. Tesla have basically created a car that is compelling me to hand over an extra $100k I wouldn't part with otherwise. I hope it's good!

None of this is looking good for a June/July delivery is it? Unless they expect people to make purchasing decisions prior to seeing/test-driving a car, I don't see how we can get our cars at the same time as other RHD markets begin to receive theirs.

My email stating there would be a test vehicle in Melbourne in late May said that there would be a vehicle available in Sydney just a few days earlier. I hope I don't end up in the position of having to make a purchase decision prior to seeing one in order to get a timely delivery. I caught a brief glimpse of a white one in Honolulu once and that is as close as I've gotten.

I kind of need a new car asap as we are surviving on just one car at the moment and we really need two. I'd have bought something else months ago if I wasn't hanging out for a Model S! Interestingly I couldn't imagine spending even a quarter of the sum on any other car. Tesla have basically created a car that is compelling me to hand over an extra $100k I wouldn't part with otherwise. I hope it's good!

I agree it would be nice to have a test drive before ordering, but realistically it will not stop me ordering. We have all spent many months reading about how awesome the car is, and those with reservations have put down somewhere between 6,000 and 40,000 dollars without knowing when (or even if) the car would come to Australia. I took the oppurtunity to see a car in the flesh in the New York store when we were there in January blizzards (no test drive) and that is enough for me to press the go button.