Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi MDK, it seems most tesla people in your post were very general about the pricing release date except Jerome, who would know when because it's his job.

Good customer service is the business following up on the customer, not the other way around.

Sigh - what else can you say?
I have been provided the opportunity to upgrade to signature (I had reservations for both but only paid for general), signature holders to receive their cars in July/august. General production deliveries few months after. No cars will be delivered to areas where they have no service capabilities (regardless of reservation queue). I'm putting forth the strongest argument for rear facing seats with some solid evidence, let's see how serious they will take it.

I have been provided the opportunity to upgrade to signature (I had reservations for both but only paid for general), signature holders to receive their cars in July/august. General production deliveries few months after. No cars will be delivered to areas where they have no service capabilities (regardless of reservation queue). I'm putting forth the strongest argument for rear facing seats with some solid evidence, let's see how serious they will take it.

Of course you'd be provided with the opportunity to pay more money to them. How about if you say to them "I'll upgrade to Signature but only if you sign a contract that it will be delivered in July and you take $1000 off for every week over. You might get a free Model S! :)

You know the pragmatist in me says that they always say things like "in a week or so", mid April, Mid Autumn, that kind of thing. So if we actually just accept that in a week or so means in 4-6 weeks and that mid Month means the first half of the next month at the earliest - then we'll be happier.

So here's my stress reducing announcement: Pricing will be released around 25th April. Cars will be delivered starting November 10th. That's it. No fluff. Now you can relax and if anything comes earlier you'll be ecstatic.

Regarding the third row, the only reason they would not supply it here would be if it contravenes the Australian Design rules. They have no control over that, obviously. Since registration will likely be on overseas evidence, it is likely that they will accept European standards testing. Any idea if the seats are allowed in Europe?

I take it the timing email you received came from California and was not from a local source? Please confirm.

Hmmm. I'll be living in both Melbourne and north east Vic. There'll be service capabilities in Melbourne but not NE Vic...

Hi MDK, it seems most tesla people in your post were very general about the pricing release date except Jerome, who would know when because it's his job.
Good customer service is the business following up on the customer, not the other way around.

Indeed until recently the dates quoted were very generic, as expected for a new company planning such a major international roll-out.
I don't blame them for that, and I don't hold the quoted company representatives responsible for the earlier "expected in about a year" type predictions.
The "next couple of weeks" announcements that we've heard in the last 6 weeks - followed by the "days away" and now back to "next week or so" (which is suddenly less specific and more vague) is a different story.
As you and others have pointed out, when a specific deadline is promised to a customer and can't be met for unforeseen reasons, it would be polite to let said customer know.

From my perspective, they are just waiting on regulatory sign-off. We know the car was in testing last week.

When they get the sign-off that nothing 'extra' is needed for Australian cars, then they can release the pricing. They would look very silly if they released the pricing and then discovered something like Australia's laws on screens in front seats meant design/software changes increasing the cost.

Perhaps they thought sign-off would happen quicker. It isn't too hard to imagine the car took longer to get through the docks, waited longer than expected to get a testing appointment, and is taking longer for some bureaucrat to stop eating donuts and stamp the paperwork.

Reply from Jerome yesterday, "We are finalizing the charging strategy for Australia. This has an impact on pricing" . No " dear" or salutation. No indication of timing. No indication of impact on delivery time, or indeed when deliveries might be expected. I did ask for a group email to all reservation holders in Australia. No response to that either.

Reply from Jerome yesterday, "We are finalizing the charging strategy for Australia. This has an impact on pricing" . No " dear" or salutation. No indication of timing. No indication of impact on delivery time, or indeed when deliveries might be expected. I did ask for a group email to all reservation holders in Australia. No response to that either.

Given it is Easter weekend I suppose we could cut him some slack for brevity. At least he responded - many other companies would have had an auto reply "I am on leave and will address your query when i return in two weeks time...".

I doubt there would be more than 30 sales per year in WA.

Would Tesla establish any Superchargers in WA given the small amount of sales?

The way I see it is; what gets rolled out with the model S is so that when gen3 comes along the infrastructure is already in place.

And with almost nil publicity in Australia and already 200ish reservations. I think tesla can do a lot better with publicity. Especially considering petrol prices here.

Latest conspiracy/hugely optimistic theory...

Elon is visiting China on 22nd April for deliveries to "distinguished owners".

Maybe there will be news on Australian pricing announced then or perhaps Elon will fly on to Australia afterwards....?

Obviously I still believe in the Easter bunny also...

CharlesF

Hi I am 64yrs young, retired and have been in the electronics field since 1965.
I have been waiting for a car like the Tesla Model S since I started driving in 1969,and from all the reports from the States the cars handling ,performance , the electronics in the car are in a class of their own.
The only improvements I would make ,would be a solar roof panel just to top up the short distances travelled on short trips say to work, or shopping or taking the kids to school say 20- 40kms.
I have not seen any data to indicate how long it would take using the regenerative braking to recharge the batteries 1km using the different settings in the car surely with the car being in the States for almost 2yrs some owners must have some data on this.
the other thing which I don't like is the seats with the fixes head rests front and rear, and the seats look rather flat and unsupportive.
My current car a BMW 540i has 18 way electric seats with adjustable head rests, upper backrest adjustment to give you a perfect seating , is there any chance for optional seats in the future.
I will go and see the car as soon it is displayed in Sydney.
No one hates the oil companies or the dealer service centres more than me,they should have the skull and crossbones on display as their logo rather than their oil company logo.
I wish Tesla had the capability to make 2,000,000 cars a year rather than 20,000 but maybe that will improve the future.

CharlesF.