Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fail to see how pricing posts are useless. This is a discussion board, the pricing speculation is discussion. The point people are making, and are exasperated about, is that there is a massive price hike likely in Australia for Model S because of a lack of positive government policy. It's a good discussion point.

I fail to see how pricing posts are useless. This is a discussion board, the pricing speculation is discussion. The point people are making, and are exasperated about, is that there is a massive price hike likely in Australia for Model S because of a lack of positive government policy. It's a good discussion point.
Government policy won't change unless Gina Rinehart buys a Model S.

Simon Hackett wrote an article about this very topic on his blog today: http://simonhackett.com/2014/05/09/ev-and-lct/
I don't know if he's lurking here (Hello!) but it's obviously something that affects all of us.

edited to add: I love the picture of the Model-S RHD dash headlining his blog. Looks like it's from the Blue P85+ you lucky Sydneysiders have been able to see in person.
I think Stone is only contacting Signature reservation holders. I am in Sydney, Production reservation number 26, and haven't heard from Tesla since last year.

Yes. Stone told me that only 4people including myself had come to see the vehicle. He contacted me Tuesday, but I was only able to get there Thursday. I was quite surprised that there wasn't a queue outside the door!

I think that quite a few of us have already seen a Tesla in the US and therefore am not that bothered seeing a static display.

When test drive is offered that will be a different matter, and I have already made sure Stone knows I am red hot
keen for that!!

I think that quite a few of us have already seen a Tesla in the US and therefore am not that bothered seeing a static display.

When test drive is offered that will be a different matter, and I have already made sure Stone knows I am red hot
keen for that!!

I don't know TesAus, I think there's a substantial number of reservation holders who've put there deposit down without ever seeing Model S in the metal. I am actually quite excited at the prospect of the first time I see (and drive) the car is when it turns up on the flatbed truck. Having said that if Tesla had a demo vehicle in Perth then the temptation could get the better of me :smile:

In the interests of free speech, i respect your right to comment. However, i am somewhat perplexed by your fixation with Australia. This car and its pricing is going to follow the pricing rules shared by all vehicles in this market. I mean even the humble Yaris is at least 30% dearer than in the USA. I am sure that people of influence in every democratic country will be able to move a situation to suit themselves. Look at what is happening with the dealer lobby in the USA, and that is supposed to be the epicentre of capitalism!!

I think that he was referring to Tony Abbots comment that climate change is crap, and Joe Hockey calling wind power a blight on the landscape. This illustrates the magnitude of the problem we need to overcome with our fossil fuel and mining aligned current government, who it appears will do anything to distance themselves from anything 'green'.

We need to demonstrate that there is voter sentiment for promoting this technology, and also that there are economic benefits in doing so. I know that Dborn & I live in extremely safe liberal seats, so it is important for us to talk to our MPs right now. I also know that we both have.

Remember that you local MP cannot really deny you a meeting as a constituent. Even if you don't have the same power as Packer, Ginehart and Murdoch you have an opportunity to unsettle them if you have what will be a popular and pragmatic arguement. The more marginal your seat is the more leverage you have. I don't belong to any political persuasion, and make my arguements and decisions independently.

That being said, I have had letters read into Hansard by providing a decent arguement. If you want something to change, don't just grumble under your breath. Do something about it.

P.S. The Australian pricing by the car companies is outrageous and unsupportable. Part of the problem has been that premium brands don't really want to devalue the current market and kill residual values, while others are happy to sell a few cars at maximum profit. The Porsche Cayenne is 3x the US price here, and before anyone says 'market size' it is 2x the price of one in Zambia.

We need a car company to set their prices based on the current exchange rate, and vary them up and down within reason around it. Remember in 2002 the dollar went to $US0.46 under Howard? The prices haven't really come down since then for luxury cars compared with overseas trends. That being said, in 1990 someone bought my 928 from Scuds for $236,000 plus on road costs... In the same year I paid $160,000 for my house!

Last edited:
I'm right there with you, Oz tax does my head in and the chance of things changing are zero. Wish I had the option to move to the US, would've happened years ago.
There's also the very real chance that this car could quite quickly become a $300k car if the Aussie dollar takes a dump, those compounding taxes add up REAL fast.

Cars are more expensive in OZ but if I were to live in the US doing the same job, my salary would be about 50% less than OZ.

I don't know what the after tax figure would be, but it would be a sure bet that US taxes are a lot less than OZ.

OK, I am new to this thread - but the point is this is a thread about the Tesla Model S, not about stereotypes or social commentating, right?

In news for Tesla Australia, there is a new person on the ground as of this week just past, Cary Clark - Australia Sales - Vic/SA/WA/Tas. This is great news as it shows that Tesla are serious about Australia as a whole, not just the eastern corridor.

OK, I am new to this thread - but the point is this is a thread about the Tesla Model S, not about stereotypes or social commentating, right?

In news for Tesla Australia, there is a new person on the ground as of this week just past, Cary Clark - Australia Sales - Vic/SA/WA/Tas. This is great news as it shows that Tesla are serious about Australia as a whole, not just the eastern corridor.

Yeah I've been chatting with Cary for a while - he's a really nice guy and I think he'll be a great representative for Tesla! He doesn't seem to have too much information pricing wise, but I'm sure that will change as the Australian market gets more mature.

Any chance they're holding off on pricing due the upcoming budget? Well aware of the zero chance of tax being removed but there's every possibility that the GST is to rise

GST breadth will be increased, but rates won't rise until around 2016-17: that's my prediction. So it won't impact on Model S sales for now I don't think.

They're holding off on pricing because of charging concerns I'm sure. But we all pretty much know what the pricing will be. Dborn said around $140k to Stone (for signature P85 I'm assuming), who said he was in the ballpark, so I'd doubt there will be any real surprises.