Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I mentioned to Stone that it was an American car he corrected me and stated it was actually Californian, so I think you're fine to get EU style plates.

I know the stereotypical American isn't hot on geography outside their own state, but that is hilarious that "Made in California" means that it isn't an American car!

I think the Euro style plates could look good, just remember that they tend to be larger than other plates so ensure they will fit (especially rear one)

I know the stereotypical American isn't hot on geography outside their own state, but that is hilarious that "Made in California" means that it isn't an American car!

I think the Euro style plates could look good, just remember that they tend to be larger than other plates so ensure they will fit (especially rear one)

Californians have this real complex about being "American", they would rather see themselves as being "Californian"...understandably because much of the US is a bit..well...blah.

In other news - Melbourne will have a P85+ as its first test drive car, with a P85 to follow. I kind of wished that we had a few standard models as well to compare, but oh well.

Have contacted homelink. They reply that homelink is currently not being sold in Australia. Their agent is Chamberlain whose garage door products are available in Bunnings. Still not sure why it could neverthe less not be installed on our cars, tho'. Bummer!!

I think as others have alluded, it may have to do with the frequencies used by Homelink and what devices are currently allocated those frequencies in Australia. ZWave, X10 and other home automation systems have different frequencies here than that of US and Europe. The 433Mhz range that is one of the many supported by Homelink is also used for a heap of ZigBee / XBee devices in Australia (and some home automation products). It's used by the very cool Ninja Blocks.

It may well be that because the Homelink can transmit to a heap of frequencies (see http://www.homelink.com/assets/downloads/homelink_ukenglish.pdf) that it may clash with a range that is reserved and/or based upon your findings, they have never bothered to get certified in Australia. For the Tesla to have something that even transmits on the Homelink frequencies may be the problem.

It would have been cool though ..... open the garage door, turn on the lights, pour beer into glass ... :biggrin:

So my visit to Tesla Sydney happened today with thanks to Stone.
It was reassuring to actually see a Model S in the "flesh" on local soil and hear about the process they are going through.
The car is a blue P85+ with black leather and what looks like every option, except child seats which look like they won't be available.
I got the impression that certification problems prevent them offering it along with a few other things but they may come back to it later.
The current delay centres around charging options and it was nice to hear that they had not excluded the supercharging option but no promises.
He asked that we not post pictures as he wants the RHD launch to be supported by the best quality images and you have to respect that.
A couple of things I did notice are that they have moved "controls" button to the RHS of the screen but the controls stalks around the steering wheel have not swapped sides.
They are still working out of the service centre set up for roadster support which is tiny so they are looking to move, so there is a LOT to do before they are ready to start delivering and servicing the volume of cars that the Model S will generate.
He thinks we may have our Model S by spring so a little while to go but the long wait IS coming to an end.

Did you notice, have the wipers been converted so that they sweep up to the right? What tyres are we getting in Australia? Are there any grab handles on the Australian models, I thought that they are an ADR requirement?
the wipers have swapped sides. No grab handles. I actually discussed with Stone when I saw the car last week.

- - - Updated - - -

So my visit to Tesla Sydney happened today with thanks to Stone.
It was reassuring to actually see a Model S in the "flesh" on local soil and hear about the process they are going through.
The car is a blue P85+ with black leather and what looks like every option, except child seats which look like they won't be available.
I got the impression that certification problems prevent them offering it along with a few other things but they may come back to it later.
The current delay centres around charging options and it was nice to hear that they had not excluded the supercharging option but no promises.
He asked that we not post pictures as he wants the RHD launch to be supported by the best quality images and you have to respect that.
A couple of things I did notice are that they have moved "controls" button to the RHS of the screen but the controls stalks around the steering wheel have not swapped sides.
They are still working out of the service centre set up for roadster support which is tiny so they are looking to move, so there is a LOT to do before they are ready to start delivering and servicing the volume of cars that the Model S will generate.
He thinks we may have our Model S by spring so a little while to go but the long wait IS coming to an end.
yes, really nice that it is not smoke and mirrors! However, this charging issue. What can be taking them so long? It has been up there for 3 or 4 weeks already.

When I mentioned to Stone that it was an American car he corrected me and stated it was actually Californian...

The car is of course made in America, specifically in Fremont, California.

As a Californian who lives about 70km distance from the manufacturing facility I am pretty sure about that ;-)

I look forward to seeing many Teslas on the road in Australia in the future!

Come on Aussie dollar......back to parity PLEASE ! :)

A year after parity, Australian dollar hints at comeback

If only! Won't help current reservation holders, but anything that makes the Model S more affordable for future buyers is a great thing! Should also mean future upgrades will be cheaper too...like when they come out with a 120kwh battery :D

Who was it that said pricing end of this week? Looking unlikely isn't it? I'm going to say next month now

If only! Won't help current reservation holders, but anything that makes the Model S more affordable for future buyers is a great thing! Should also mean future upgrades will be cheaper too...like when they come out with a 120kwh battery :D

Who was it that said pricing end of this week? Looking unlikely isn't it? I'm going to say next month now
Are they planning to release pricing at all? This is getting ridiculous. Charging issues? 6 plus weeks for that? They have had roadsters here for 3 years plus. It is not like Australian info was suddenly new to them or even 240 volt. Supercharger, mobile cable decisions could all be made after release of pricing and added as options, better for us if they are - no LCT or stamp duty on aftermarket options.

If they were considering supplying us all with 60Kwh batteries (software upgradable to 85Kw) now THAT would be an excellent reason for delay. A potential saving of $4000 in taxes with zero cost to Tesla and no need to re-certify the car!!

If they were considering supplying us all with 60Kwh batteries (software upgradable to 85Kw) now THAT would be an excellent reason for delay. A potential saving of $4000 in taxes with zero cost to Tesla and no need to re-certify the car!!

Now that would be a great idea although I suspect that if they did it here then owners everywhere would be asking for it. Still no reason not to do it though.

I have mentioned these things to Stone. I asked him if he could pass this battery idea back to base or tell me whom to write to. i have not had a response to that email. When i saw the car i discussed grab handles and indicated it was a mobility issue, not anything else.

In a round about way I asked this question and the answer was a polite no.
As an example, I asked if I could purchase supercharging access after delivery and the answer was if they intend to provide supercharging it will be included in the price and subject to LCT.

In a round about way I asked this question and the answer was a polite no.
As an example, I asked if I could purchase supercharging access after delivery and the answer was if they intend to provide supercharging it will be included in the price and subject to LCT.
I think supercharging requires actual hardware, so it would make sense that it needs to be built in. You can't just plug the car into 120amps at 400v without some intervening clockwork!!

I think supercharging requires actual hardware, so it would make sense that it needs to be built in. You can't just plug the car into 120amps at 400v without some intervening clockwork!!
So far, the only Model S vehicles that do not have Supercharger access from the factory are 40kWh and 60kWh cars. In USA at least, you can call Tesla and have them turn on Supercharger access over the phone. After you give them your credit card number and the $2,500 charge goes through, they just remotely activate it. All the hardware is already present. Actually, for the few 40kWh cars in existence, you have to pay the $10,000 upgrade to 60kWh first, then the Supercharger access. The 40kWh cars are actually have 60kWh battery packs and are only software limited to a 40kWh state-of-charge window.

Dual AC chargers is a completely different story. There is a lot of labor involved to install the second on-board charger.