Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its good to have some certainty and clarity about something. I presume that this means that S85s here will only come standard with a single charger?

Yes, dual-chargers are an optional extra.

- - - Updated - - -

An official response from Tesla and JB in particular.:-
JB shared your message with me: we discussed and I respond on behalf of Tesla -
- The Model S in Australia will have the EU type inlet and will be compatible with single and three-phase currents
- Model S comes standard with an onboard charger and a 40 amp single phase wall connector.
- For customers who ordered the dual chargers, we will provide later (estimated date: Q1 2015) a higher power wall connector, 80A single phase or 32A three-phase, based on the customer's preference. The more powerful connector will be provided free of charge to customers who ordered the dual chargers.
- We will develop, in time, a supercharger network in Australia. Given the multiple projects we manage at the moment, the first superchargers should not be expected until early 2015 - that's an estimate and not a guaranteed date.
- An optional 10 amp mobile connector compatible with Australian and New Zealand type 3112 electrical outlets will be available for purchase after delivery (availability planned in Q1 2015)
- The Model S is compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard connector

This information will be available on the Australian website when we release it.

Great news on the cables and it's great that Superchargers are now publicly confirmed.

I was lucky enough to get a ride in the Model S just now. Stone had just got the plates a few hours before I go there so I was super lucky!

I guess you have all read the reviews, but I will put it like this. I love my family. I love my wife. But I LUURRRRRRVVVEEEEEE the Model S.

Acceleration is incredible even when he didn't punch it all the way. Seating was more comfortable than I expected. Interior was minimalistic and looks good.

The web browser is disabled in this car because of Australia regulations but they are working on it.

Pricing very soon!

For those who haven't seen it in the flesh or been in it while driving, the wait is all worth it!

- For customers who ordered the dual chargers, we will provide later (estimated date: Q1 2015) a higher power wall connector, 80A single phase or 32A three-phase, based on the customer's preference. The more powerful connector will be provided free of charge to customers who ordered the dual chargers.
It will be interesting to see the cost difference between dual chargers on delivery including LCT and dual chargers after deliver with out LCT.

A few things I forgot to mention, which I'm sure most of you know already:

- Stone's car is a blue P85+ with everything
- The options here in terms of multimedia are Digital Radio, traditional AM/FM, Rdio and Tunein. No XM here so they can't offer it. I'm hoping for Spotify integration but no word on that
- Sitting in the rear seats, you don't have too much headroom. I'm not tall, about 180cm, but it did feel a little cramped
- Stone said that you actually get more headroom at the back if you opt for the Pano roof option
- The upgraded sound system has a subwoofer, and it made a huge difference when he pushed the sound to 10
- Bluetootth integration works well - when someone calls the whole screen is greyed out and your contact/the number comes up on screen. This happened several times during our drive :D Poor Stone.
- The grip on the yacht floor is pretty good - I put my phone there as a test and it didn't slip too much
- The alcantara headliner is OK...I'm not sure I'll get it though
- parcel shelf folds back in half, rather than slides or anything
- I think Stone had the 21" wheels so there was no fishtailing even when he punched it
- The parking sensors are excellent - I think this is a "must have" option
- It looks very much like a Maserati from the side profile - looks even better in person than in photos!
- Internet reception was a little patchy while driving but Stone said they were fixing that - I'm sure it will be ironed out before too long

That's all I can remember for now. Great car!

any news on what tyres we get?
If the mapping is going to work in the country then it has to be Telstra or at worst, Optus.

I didn't check the tyres carefully but they were Michellins on these ones.

I think we HAVE to go for Telstra...but they will obviously be the most expensive so we'll see how Tesla handles that. To be honest anything less will mean really bad phone reception in many areas outside of the cities.

I didn't check the tyres carefully but they were Michellins on these ones.

I think we HAVE to go for Telstra...but they will obviously be the most expensive so we'll see how Tesla handles that. To be honest anything less will mean really bad phone reception in many areas outside of the cities.
Not just bad phone reception, if the car uses Google mapping then it'll be offline most of the time outside major centres if it uses Vodaphone. It'll be OK with Optus, best with Telstra

Slowly features are being whittled away.

A point must come when the vehicle is so devoid of features that it fails to be a value proposition.

No Supercharging (when they say Teslatime January 2015, does anyone see anything before July?)
No web browsing
No DAB radio
No plugin to standard power socket
No deliveries before October
No Centre Console
No support outside of Syd/Melb
No Homelink

Not all of these things are Tesla's fault, but they are all things that made the car desirable relative to it's peers.

Slowly features are being whittled away.

A point must come when the vehicle is so devoid of features that it fails to be a value proposition.

No Supercharging (when they say Teslatime January 2015, does anyone see anything before July?)
No web browsing
No DAB radio
No plugin to standard power socket
No deliveries before October
No Centre Console
No support outside of Syd/Melb
No Homelink

Not all of these things are Tesla's fault, but they are all things that made the car desirable relative to it's peers.

You're being a bit harsh...

Supercharging is confirmed (I wouldn't have expected it from day one anyway).
Web browsing will be available when the car is stationary.
DAB is confirmed (I used it when I viewed the car).
Standard 10 amp plug is confirmed.
We don't know delivery dates you so I can't see how you can say that.
Centre console is still being produced by Tesla and we'll be able to buy it at a later date.
Nothing about support anywhere outside of Sydney is confirmed, wait until Tesla has something official.
Homelink is the only item on your list that is actually confirmed to not be in the car.

Thanks Meloccom - ill be there with electric bells on!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a plan, we should organise an after delivery dinner and relive that meal at the "all you can eat Italian" after the Get Amped event in 2012. Hopefully NZ will be sorted by then and Peter W and Leonie can join the party. :smile:
P.S You're invited too Jay.

Thanks Melocomm - ill be there with electric bells on ;-)