Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, the only Model S vehicles that do not have Supercharger access from the factory are 40kWh and 60kWh cars. In USA at least, you can call Tesla and have them turn on Supercharger access over the phone. After you give them your credit card number and the $2,500 charge goes through, they just remotely activate it. All the hardware is already present. Actually, for the few 40kWh cars in existence, you have to pay the $10,000 upgrade to 60kWh first, then the Supercharger access. The 40kWh cars are actually have 60kWh battery packs and are only software limited to a 40kWh state-of-charge window.

Dual AC chargers is a completely different story. There is a lot of labor involved to install the second on-board charger.
The key words are "All the hardware is already present". If they decide NOT to have a supercharger network in Australia for whatever reason. it would make no sense to install hardware that is redundant, whether activated or not. Maybe it is this point that we are all waiting more than 6 weeks for them to make a decision on, so as to enable them to publish our pricing. On the ground, our asset lite has been busy. There is a car here and it has been through our national certification process. It is a fully loaded P+ vehicle presumably for certification reasons, so that bits can be taken off it without affecting certification, or incur the need to re certify. He has also been working on a new site for the service centre, (much larger premises and closer in to the city centre). Also, showing the car.
It is getting harder to believe we will get our first deliveries in August, what with the factory close down in July and the continual stretching out the time to price publication and therefore ordering.

Whilst I fully support approaches that reduce the upfront cost that is subject to LCT I suspect that the ATO would look very carefully at any arrangements they believe were created just to avoid the tax. The last thing we or Tesla want is a surprise bill and possibly a fine 6 months later?

The key words are "All the hardware is already present". If they decide NOT to have a supercharger network in Australia for whatever reason. it would make no sense to install hardware that is redundant, whether activated or not. Maybe it is this point that we are all waiting more than 6 weeks for them to make a decision on, so as to enable them to publish our pricing. On the ground, our asset lite has been busy. There is a car here and it has been through our national certification process. It is a fully loaded P+ vehicle presumably for certification reasons, so that bits can be taken off it without affecting certification, or incur the need to re certify. He has also been working on a new site for the service centre, (much larger premises and closer in to the city centre). Also, showing the car.
It is getting harder to believe we will get our first deliveries in August, what with the factory close down in July and the continual stretching out the time to price publication and therefore ordering.
IMHO, there is no chance that they will remove the hardware that allows Supercharger access. It's a lot of trouble to make ECNs and design a new harness just for small markets that may not get Supercharging, than to continue with the existing parts in the car. You may not get any commitment from Tesla to install Superchargers in Australia at the time of pricing release or even establishing a schedule this year. However, I'm sure it is an eventuality. Supercharging has become a core feature of Tesla automobiles. Speculation that Gen III will not have Supercharging is equally ridiculous. That said, if you need to drive between major Australian metro areas other than Sydney-Canberra, you probably shouldn't buy the car until there is a Supercharger plan that will meet your needs.

Saw this today and had a brief heart palpitation, unfortunately just something random in Chrome

6sqipd.png

I've suggested to them that Supercharging be billed as an optional extra - if they use the same pricing for the 60kWh cars, i.e. $US2500 to add it, then this alone would save $1400 in LCT & stamp duty while keeping in the spirit of the Aust Tax laws.
It's be pretty easy to argue that the SC cost is a service fee for access to the chargers, since the hardware is in the car already.

I've suggested to them that Supercharging be billed as an optional extra - if they use the same pricing for the 60kWh cars, i.e. $US2500 to add it, then this alone would save $1400 in LCT & stamp duty while keeping in the spirit of the Aust Tax laws.
It's be pretty easy to argue that the SC cost is a service fee for access to the chargers, since the hardware is in the car already.

Just an afterthought - its probably worthwhile also contacting Tesla independently to push for this, unless you are happy to pay Joe Hockey and Tony Abbot $1400 that you shouldn't have to...

By saying 'cars 1 and 2' I hope you are referring to the first and second cars to be delivered to Adelaide. Cars 1 and 2 in Australia are being delivered to me and my brother. I have this guaranteed in writing from Tesla.
IIRC there is priority given to Roadster owners over normal Signature reservations and Simon bought 2 Roadsters at least.
Still it's likely they will have a ceremony like they had in Bejing where a number of early deliveries happen at the same time.
Looks like it may be a good idea to have it in Melbourne. :cool:

I can't comment on that but I do know Simon has received special treatment from Tesla previously. Do you have Sig 1 & 2?

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC there is priority given to Roadster owners over normal Signature reservations and Simon bought 2 Roadsters at least.
Still it's likely they will have a ceremony like they had in Bejing where a number of early deliveries happen at the same time.
Looks like it may be a good idea to have it in Melbourne. :cool:

You're probably right Melocomm. They'll probably try to launch the car with quite a few new owners at the same time. This will fudge the issue as far as they are concerned and I'm ok with that. I think this car is a game changer as far as the auto industry is concerned. I'm sure the Roadster is great fun, and certainly an important stepping stone for the company in terms of learning, finance and public recognition, but I see the Model S as the iPhone of the auto industry. Nothing will be the same after this. I want paperwork which confirms my Model S will be the first purchased car in the country. I've had a deposit down for 5 years, so I really don't think I'm asking for too much.