Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading through the TMC delivery thread, and two things I found interesting:

1. One person said that their DS told them, there may not be a change between "sourcing parts" to "in transit". I'm assuming that's because all the updates are done manually. Still hope for all the sig holders out there!

2. There's one guy that picked up their car from Masachusetts, who said their delivery centre consisted of a cone and parking lot. So perhaps we don't need a really fancy centre here to get things moving?

Just watching the Tesla Motors, Inc. 2014 annual shareholder meeting video posted Jun 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeetyfnHfk#t=1018

A little after the 18 minute mark Elon made a comment that we probably could guess:

“….intentionally slowing down introduction until certain good servicing and charging capability…. because we don’t want people to have a negative experience…..”

Also note from:

http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-upcoming-hardware-software-upgrades/#uAtoC5WSTwfMiL52.99

"The only real 'hardware' upgrade that he made mention of is coming later this year as another seat option. It sounds like the current seats will remain standard and this new seat will be an upgrade option that can be retrofitted into the existing Model S price. I’d expect the new seats to be a significant upgrade, but I’m quite happy with the current ones I have."

Cheers
David

- - - Updated - - -

Also around the 32:50 mark he discusses the seats and the current improvements to foam (done), springs (done) and lumbar support which is about a month away.

So...hopefully this may be consolation for us being a little late....

Also around the 32:50 mark there is an amusing anecdote about the Model E.

Cheers
David

Last edited:
Stone has told me that he would let us know if and when there was movement. Since i have heard nothing from him since that note, i have to assume that "sourcing parts" is what is still happening.

There is a suggestion on these fora that there will still be some cars manufactured during the close down. But, who knows? I reckon everyone is just guessing. It would be fabulous to get the long awaited seat upgrade as standard, especially given the protracted wait we have to endure. It would at least be some compensation for that. Personally I can't see that it would be a cost free upgrade should it come out after our cars are delivered, but who knows. This car company seems to be different to all the others. I would certainly want it, given that Elon himself says the current seats are not acceptable (although better since the modifications undertaken). It would also be nice to start out with the latest software iteration that everyone seems to be hanging out for. No need to learn one system only to shortly thereafter have to learn another.

I paid a lot extra for the seat in my Merc because of a bad back, and for me over the past 7 years of ownership, it has been more than worthwhile in terms of comfort and relief of backache.

Interesting that our charging page has not been updated to the Australian model. Still shows a left drive car and USA standard mobile charge connector. Mind you, the specs do NOT mention HomeLink, something i really want.

Last edited:
Just watching the Tesla Motors, Inc. 2014 annual shareholder meeting video posted Jun 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeetyfnHfk#t=1018

Cheers
David

Wow! That was interesting and quite bizarre. Having watched that just now, there are a few things that come to mind:
1. Shareholders meetings are basically dull ... Until Elon's presentation and Q&A
2. Shareholders who went to this meeting and asked questions are passionate but slightly weird (or very weird - future vice prez/CEO candidate - wow)
3. As far as slick events are concerned, Apple this ain't. (Not that many people were there either).
4. As in other events, Elon's public speaking skills are not-so-polished BUT he knows his detailed technical stuff and really is passionate. This is refreshing.
5. We should get standard seats that better than previous iterations as David noted above.
7. The current battery technology is not going to change significantly in the next few years but there will be a few tweaks that they already have in the labs.
6. Tesla, and the related supercharger networks, won't really take off "big-time" until their Gigafactories are built and they remove the battery supply bottleneck. i.e. 2017-ish .

The great thing is that we are all along for the ride!

One of the things I really appreciate about Elon's approach is providing explanation. Rather than saying "technology X doesn't work, or doesn't improve things" and stopping there, he walks you through the why. Unless he feels time-constrained, his answers tend to fall into one of three buckets: [1] "wait for it, we've got something coming for you", [2] "that tech/approach/whatever is troubled and here's why", or [3] "I'll look into that". I also appreciate that for [3] he's saying "and get back to you by <timeline that's wrong>" less often these days. Unfortunately, he's still doing it a bit more for [1] than I'd like.

One of the things I really appreciate about Elon's approach is providing explanation. Rather than saying "technology X doesn't work, or doesn't improve things" and stopping there, he walks you through the why. Unless he feels time-constrained, his answers tend to fall into one of three buckets: [1] "wait for it, we've got something coming for you", [2] "that tech/approach/whatever is troubled and here's why", or [3] "I'll look into that". I also appreciate that for [3] he's saying "and get back to you by <timeline that's wrong>" less often these days. Unfortunately, he's still doing it a bit more for [1] than I'd like.
Yep, I agreed. His answer about black carbon battery batteries was great, and specific. Also, his answer to the roadster update and saying YES to having it done by year end wouldn't be committed on the spot by most CEOs. He almost let the full patent stuff out of the bag as well.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL Hawkward moment with the guy at 38 min asking for a job and holding back his tears.
It was better than reality TV.

HK delivery date

Just copied from http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...onfirmation-Sequence-expected-delivery/page29

Note for sonywong (signature) production date 13 June and delivery date 24 July

Cheers
David

attachment.php?attachmentid=53000&d=1404451159.png

I am updating that table almost daily at the moment, at least several times pr week as information comes in. Exciting times!

I saw on the UK delivery thread that someone with 47XXX VIN has delivery date estimate end August now, brought forward from September. I am not sure what that means for HK VINs vs delivery, as the UK got their first cars about a month ago (or so).

Normally, you would go to post 1 of that linked thread:

HK: Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery

... as I don't post a new image each time information is added, instead I change the picture in that post #1 ^

Since this was the first indication of Model S customer delivery in Hong Kong, I did find it appropriate to add the latest tally to the last post, the one you copied.

Note the *) footnote about delivery - the grey entries are guesses based on various information we can get from TM and different rumour sources.

Just copied from http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...onfirmation-Sequence-expected-delivery/page29

Note for sonywong (signature) production date 13 June and delivery date 24 July

Cheers
David

I am updating that table almost daily at the moment, at least several times pr week as information comes in. Exciting times!

I saw on the UK delivery thread that someone with 47XXX VIN has delivery date estimate end August now, brought forward from September. I am not sure what that means for HK VINs vs delivery, as the UK got their first cars about a month ago (or so).

Normally, you would go to post 1 of that linked thread:

HK: Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery

... as I don't post a new image each time information is added, instead I change the picture in that post #1 ^

Since this was the first indication of Model S customer delivery in Hong Kong, I did find it appropriate to add the latest tally to the last post, the one you copied.

Note the *) footnote about delivery - the grey entries are guesses based on various information we can get from TM and different rumour sources.

Thanks DITB, this is of great interest to those on the Australian waiting list.

Cheers
David

Thanks DITB, this is of great interest to those on the Australian waiting list.

Cheers
David

It's not much different from when you are a kid, staring at the calendar starting in August or September - and waiting for Christmas.

Except, Christmas is pretty predictable each year, while MS deliveries are as predictable as when next lightning strikes ...

Regarding sequence numbers - we just got a new user with a very low sequence number, despite not being Signature (see the same thread). Smart move to bypass the Sig and buy stock instead. Back then, or rather around December 2012, I didn't have any spare cash to invest (and still don't), so I told a friend, hey go get some TSLA stock, this is a great car and I am sure that stock will take off. So he kept his Apple stock, while he could have gotten 8 times back (or so) on the TSLA had he done it.

Coulda-shoulda-woulda ...

A mate of mine has spoken to a couple of Tesla reps over the last few weeks. The first conservation about delivery dates was around the 23rd of June. Expected delivery dates in Australia cars ordered up to that week would be delivered in September. During a test drive this week the same question received this answer that cars ordered now would be delivered in October. He also questioned the seats, and the comment was if the seats are in production they will be on the Australian cars. For what its worth.

I got to see the Model S purely by luck today. Walking around the corner from where I live in Terrey Hills there was a gathering of Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens, Pagani and other "fancy" cars that meet there each month. As I ushered my kids around them I was totally stunned to turn around and recognise the empty frunk (hood was up) of the Model S, knowing that there was probably only one in Aus. (I have lurked this thread from time to time - the car is too expensive for me at this stage, but I follow its progress a bit).

Stone was there and confirmed it's the only one in the southern hemisphere. No test drive (join the queue) but it was great to sit in what I hope will be my next car (saving the money and wife will need much convincing).

Stone said delivery is scheduled for "Spring". Re: Superchargers, when I suggested they'd be a while off he smiled and said "you might be surprised" but obviously wasn't committing to anything. He said they wouldn't be putting them in the city centre as people will have home charging for this area, but rather in places where people will be doing the longer trips. He mentioned that Syd-Melb (including Canberra) would be the first logical link. And covering trips to Thredbo, the Hunter Valley, and out west to beyond the Blue Mountains is also being considered.

I got to see the Model S purely by luck today. Walking around the corner from where I live in Terrey Hills there was a gathering of Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens, Pagani and other "fancy" cars that meet there each month. As I ushered my kids around them I was totally stunned to turn around and recognise the empty frunk (hood was up) of the Model S, knowing that there was probably only one in Aus. (I have lurked this thread from time to time - the car is too expensive for me at this stage, but I follow its progress a bit).

Stone was there and confirmed it's the only one in the southern hemisphere. No test drive (join the queue) but it was great to sit in what I hope will be my next car (saving the money and wife will need much convincing).

Stone said delivery is scheduled for "Spring". Re: Superchargers, when I suggested they'd be a while off he smiled and said "you might be surprised" but obviously wasn't committing to anything. He said they wouldn't be putting them in the city centre as people will have home charging for this area, but rather in places where people will be doing the longer trips. He mentioned that Syd-Melb (including Canberra) would be the first logical link. And covering trips to Thredbo, the Hunter Valley, and out west to beyond the Blue Mountains is also being considered.

Welcome to TMC Brendon, what is the name of the monthly gathering of exotic cars in Terry Hills?

The link works for me and Yes, that's the event.

I live around the corner from this and had no idea of the scale or variety of the cars (GT40's and a rare TVR were there too). Great for any car enthusiast (I'm only a half-enthusiast preferring to drive than look). Was great to see the Model S represented. I suspect they have the hood and the rear boot open in order to make people wonder where the engine is - a good conversation starter. I'd get the Model S over any of the other cars because I don't really need a "flashy" car and would be happy with a comfortable, practical, environmentally friendly option.

That reminds me (it may already be mentioned in previous pages) but the superchargers won't be solar powered to begin with. Too much initial cost apparently.